Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

There was scenes with the big battle ships that were really cool in 3d.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    So what's the personal conclusions on Rey? Me, I'm firmly on the side saying she's Luke's daughter. At least, it wouldn't make sense to me why, if she were Han and Leia's as well, that Ben would be sent to train with Luke but Rey sent away in isolation. So there has to be a significant difference between the two which I think precludes them being siblings. So I'm going with cousins. I think she'll be revealed as Rey Skywalker very early in Episode VIII with perhaps even a mystery developed about the identity of her mother.
    I think it would be safe to say that Rey is Luke's daughter. I thought her character was fantastic. Very independent and strong. I thought my favorite part of her development was during the final lightsaber battle she closes her eyes becomes calm and focused and then just demolishes Ren. It seemed to me that the Force had awoken within her.

I thoroughly enjoyed BB-8 as comic relief. The flipping off scene was perfect.
    My Top 5 Comic Books I am reading are:

1. Velvet
    2. Black Magick
    3. Kill or Be Killed
    4. Lazarus
    5. The Fix

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I've only seen it once (last night) so forgive me if this is obvious: Did they mention that Kylo Ren was from the "Knights of Ren" or some such thing?
    So he's not technically a "Sith", but another derivative of bad guy force users. Is that right? I wonder then if these guys would all have 'Ren' in their names ala 'Darth' in the Sith names.

Or am I already mis-remembering from last night? (Wouldn't be the first time!)
    From the looks of it, the Sith died with Palpatine and Vader. The Knights of Ren look to be a return to the pre-Darth Bane way of having more than two dark side force users. As cool as the Rule of Two was, it does kind of have a fatal flaw in that the whole scheme ends when the two guys die at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Geek View Post
    I think it would be safe to say that Rey is Luke's daughter. I thought her character was fantastic. Very independent and strong. I thought my favorite part of her development was during the final lightsaber battle she closes her eyes becomes calm and focused and then just demolishes Ren. It seemed to me that the Force had awoken within her.

I thoroughly enjoyed BB-8 as comic relief. The flipping off scene was perfect.

Rey is totally Luke's daughter. He put her on Jaku so that she would be safe from Ren and Snoke (the way Luke was hidden away on Tatooine to be safe from Vader and Palpatine).

What will be interesting to see is if Disney makes the reveal in movie VIII or if it is saved for IX.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 12-18-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Boisterously Confused

I've only seen it once (last night) so forgive me if this is obvious: Did they mention that Kylo Ren was from the "Knights of Ren" or some such thing?
    So he's not technically a "Sith", but another derivative of bad guy force users. Is that right? I wonder then if these guys would all have 'Ren' in their names ala 'Darth' in the Sith names.

Or am I already mis-remembering from last night? (Wouldn't be the first time!)
    I seem to recall Abrams saying in an interview that Ren is definitely not Sith, that Vader and Sidious were the last of that order. He was, as I recall it, rather vague as to whether the new dark practitioners constitute any kind of formal organization.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Rey is totally Luke's daughter. He put her on Jaku so that she would be safe from Ren and Snoke (the way Luke was hidden away on Tatooine to be safe from Vader and Palpatine).

What will be interesting to see is if Disney makes the reveal in movie VIII or if it is saved for IX.
    Rey as Luke's child is not impossible. In fact, it's almost too obvious. Abrams went to such lengths to sew uncertainty about who was who and what was what in this film, I'm uneasy calling a shot here.

Boisterously Confused

Oh, did anyone else feel weird seeing a Star Wars movie that didn't open with 20th Century Fox fanfare? I know it's Disney's baby now, but after 6 films, Fox's intro had almost become the opening movement of John Williams' score in the back of my head.

Rey is Han Solo's daughter. It was meant to be revealed in this movie but for some reason or another they didn't go through with it. Daisy Ridley was dropping hints at this and said that the movie will reveal who her father is. But I guess they cut it as it would have been too much info for the first movie. Rey being Kylo Ren's sister will come out in Episode 8 most likely.

Anyway I have a theory....

I think Finn is going to wind up being force sensitive, but 'not ready' in this movie. I'll explain.
    I think Rey was an already trained Jedi, that had her memory erased and left on Jakku, obviously has history with Kylo Ren and likely his sister.
    I think we haven't seen the last of Kylo Ren. or Snoke.

Finn being in a "coma" only fuels the thought that he's a force sensitive as I'm very certain that The Force will have something to do with reviving him. If it does, it means he will be a Jedi. But what purpose would he serve as a Jedi? Quite simple really..

because Rey will fall to the darkside. Now hear me out. .. she is gonna spend all of Episode VIII training under Luke, learning and becoming close to him, but she is new to this and likely easily going to be tempted, not to mention already formed a bond with Finn.

So what I think is they WILL confront Snoke.. she and Luke.. and Snoke will reveal to her her TRUE identity.. and how the Jedi wiped her memory and left her on Jakku with no thought of going back to retrieve her and leaving her with a memory that her parents would come back one day. (This is Star Wars Revan reveal KOTOR Epic stuff).

Feeling betrayed and angry, for obvious reasons, Rey would turn on Luke, and join Snoke. All hope is lost right?

No...because there is another....

Now it can go one of two ways... either Luke would escape Rey's betrayal and train Finn.. or.. Luke would be killed by Rey whom would embrace the dark side after her identity is revealed to her and feeling betrayed, but if that happens then Kylo Ren would have to have been tortured by the shade of Han getting into his mind (which makes Han his 'Ben Kenobi' in his own mind over the next film) and Kylo after watching what happens to Luke, as well as Snoke likely causing Rey to try to kill him too as he has a new apprentice now in Rey, that Kylo could turn from the Dark side, at least to a Grey path. If THAT happens then HE will be the on that trains Finn.

Either way.. I see this ending with Finn having to face Rey in a Lightsaber duel before the climax of the film.. I ultimately think that because of his/her/their love that he WILL bring her back to the Light. But they'll have to deal with Snoke. Think Bastilla and Revan in KOTOR, very similar.

Ultimately I think Finn is the one that takes down Snoke. Why? Because he's a 'nobody' a 'stormtrooper' a 'butt of jokes of the first order'. He's the guy no one expects to have a destiny as the savior of the galaxy. Which is precisely why he might.

I honestly think the Force never spoke to him because he always ran, not just from the confrontation but the force unknowingly. I think when he rose up to fight Kylo Ren, and wound up getting injured, knocked into a coma, that it was THAT sacrifice that is going to make the Force call out to him so he can fulfill his destiny. But till that point it was like there was always a void there ,or a block that prevented him from reaching his potential. Fighting Kylo Ren to save Rey could have been what wakes that up.

And the fact he was knocked into a coma, makes me think all the more that the Force is going to be why he wakes up, or rather...Awakens...

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Rey as Luke's child is not impossible. In fact, it's almost too obvious. Abrams went to such lengths to sew uncertainty about who was who and what was what in this film, I'm uneasy calling a shot here.
    It would be so weird for me to think of Rey as Han and Leia's daughter. Why did they seemingly abandon her while allowing Ben to train with Luke. The two are almost the same age as well. Luke as the father makes more sense.

Oh, did anyone else feel weird seeing a Star Wars movie that didn't open with 20th Century Fox fanfare? I know it's Disney's baby now, but after 6 films, Fox's intro had almost become the opening movement of John Williams' score in the back of my head.
    This. It felt like we went from previews to opening crawl. I'm used to the 20th Century Fox fanfare prepping me mentally for the journey that is to come.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 12-18-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Mighty Member

I got the impression that the First Order will use clone troopers judging from that suggestion Kylo Ren made after Finn rebelled
    Last edited by tabo61; 12-18-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
    Poe's parents were pilots, just like him. Their story was told in the Road to the Force Awakens comic.
    I thought his mom was a pilot with Leia and dad was a commando with Han?
    Chewie got more focus and screentime in this movie than any other previous one, I think. He was cool. I like Han using his bowcaster, although you think he would've fired it at some point in the past 40 years during their adventures. None of this is real complaining though, I LOVED the movie. Very much job well done.
    The bowcaster use by Han was a little too heavy handed foreshadowing for my tastes. They make a point to show the weapon shredding through things and sending First Order troopers flying, so when he shoots Kylo in the hip, you could see him being on more even playing grounds with Finn (and later Rey) for the upcoming fight. I mean Kylo barely took a step back after that shot! Total bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post

Another site had a good take on Phasma, she's basically Boba Fett. Cool armor, not much more than that on film. Maybe she will be later (Boba got expanded on in the PT and the EU before that) but here she looks cool but doesn't do much.
    She could also end up being the new Clone Army template. Hux/Kylo have an argument over the benefits of clones vs. indoctrinated conscripts in the opening of the movie. I could see that. Something tells me, though, if they use a new Clone Army the First Order will use several templates. Kylo clearly favored her over Hux. Evil romance for Ep 8!?

Supreme Commander Snoke makes a statement like, "You and your Knight of Ren ..." Which implies, to me, Kylo is one of several or more. During Rey's flashback, they appear to show other shadowy guys with various weapons standing with Kylo when he kills the last new Jedi. Maybe he has some followers or he's a lower ranking Knight? Perhaps del Toro will be Knight Commander or something. The Darth Vader to the Emperor while Kylo is like Mara Jade. And Kylo takes his place when Luke/Rey kill him to set up Kylo vs. Luke round 2 and Kylo vs. Rey round 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    It would be so weird for me to think of Rey as Han and Leia's daughter. Why did they seemingly abandon her while allowing Ben to train with Luke. The two are almost the same age as well. Luke as the father makes more sense.

This. It felt like we went from previews to opening crawl. I'm used to the 20th Century Fox fanfare prepping me mentally for the journey that is to come.
    There was also a grave at Luke's feet in the end. Who's headstone was that?

It's nice to have new mysteries!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    I got the impression that the First Order will use clone troopers judging from that suggestion Kylo Ren made after Finn rebelled
    I'm glad I wasn't alone in noticing that. I thought he referenced that clones would've been better to develop over the Starkiller, too?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I left the theater not caring one way or the other. I knew what to expect. My nephew and his friend were disappointed with Finn's character. As I said, I knew what to expect.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    There was also a grave at Luke's feet in the end. Who's headstone was that?

It's nice to have new mysteries!
    Good catch. I missed that.

Unrelated question: I'm in no hurry, but I'm curious how long before good manners and common sense agree that the spoiler limit has expired?

Good catch. I missed that.
    It might not of been a headstone but it looked an awful lot like one to me. Enough to make be worried that it wasn't going to be looking turning around ... for a minute.

To me all the subtleties of the film indicate Luke is her father, not Han. If Han was ever intended to be her father at some point, I think it was changed. It just doesn't wash with the finished film. I'd like to imagine there would have been more subtle indications in interaction via creative writing between Han, Leia, and Rey in this regards if it was a situation where she was their daughter but for some reason they couldn't tell her. But I'm not getting that feeling. Leia for example clearly cares for Rey, but her reaction to seeing her doesn't really align to the strength of her emotions when talking to Han about her son.

Of course I'm sure this is exactly the type of debate the crew wants coming out of the film. So anything's possible at this point. My opinion certainly is biased in the direction that I want her to be Luke's child, I'll admit. There would be something just a tad askew to me in the narrative to not have a Skywalker by name in this trilogy. I know, even if she were a Solo she'd still have Skywalker blood from Leia, but its just not the same to me. Plus to me they could play on a dynamic of Kylo's insecurities with this. He's obsessed with his grandfather, wants to emulate him, but he's the son of a smuggler and the daughter who didn't become a Jedi. Meanwhile Rey has the name, she has the grand master father, she has what he wants.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-18-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El