Page 51 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Maybe every few hundred or so troopers will be defective.
    Possibly. But for now, Finn is the only one that even Kylo paid him attention.

Astonishing Member

Yeah she wanted him for his talent and skills not because he's "force-sensitive". If he was wouldn't have Kylo sensed it and reported it to Snoke?
    Kylo was at that point the only one force sensitive besides his mother and his missing uncle, since he supposedly murdered (all?) Luke's padawans. Phasma would have no reason to think Finn is force sensitive, at least not before the awakening.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    By 'everything she tries', you mean two things? Maybe three, at a push (given the Force is as much something you have as it is something you learn).

She's a pilot. She tells Finn she's a pilot. She specifically tells Finn she's flown ships before. And she's clearly been on Jakku long enough to learn both flying and mechanics, the latter in-particular given her role as a scavenger. The Falcon's been there a while and she's obviously been onboard before. She probably could have taken it (or any other ship) beforehand if she'd wanted, but the point was she didn't want to leave Jakku.

She can use the Force without being 'trained'. Not being a die-hard Star Wars fan, I don't know much about the science of the Force. But I've got the impression, if you've got it, you can use it. Obviously some are better than others, be that through training or just natural ability. Rey only starts using it to any real degree as a defence against Kylo's interrogation, and it made sense to me that that's a situation where Rey's ability would manifest itself.

As for the lightsaber thing, 'more than holds her own'? She's on the defensive for more of the fight, and the only reasons she isn't taken down immediately is that Kylo is quite clearly severely injured. Not to mention the fact that Kylo doesn't want to kill Rey, he wants to train her. And even then, it's only when Rey let's the Force in that she's able to fight back, which considering Kylo's condition at that point, her established background of having some ability with a weapon and her being 'strong with the force', hardly makes her some kind of perfect Superwoman.

Rey is awesomely bad-ass, absolutely. And it's kind of sad how a few people think that's a bad thing. But is she a Mary Sue? No.
    No, I mean everything she tires. There isn't one thing she doesn't do that she isn't fantastic at, she seemingly knows the Millennium Falcon better than Han Solo does. She has no flaw or weakness, not even on a personality. She does a thing in this movie on a whim that we don't see Luke do in the original films until he's trained under two different people...and as far a we know, she's never need trained to use the Force.

You know she beats Kylo Ren in that fight, right? This character the movie never tells use has ever trained with a lightsaber beats a trained Jedi/Sith in a lightsaber fight. She hits him in the leg and arm, she has him down on the ground, she beat him. The only reason he gets away is because the planet they're on is blowing up can a chasm saves him from her.

There's nothing sad when someone points out a character has been written to be ridiculously perfect at everything they're doing, and that the movie isn't giving any context for why. It also a bit sad you think this has anything to do with Rey being a woman.

BANNED

It's explained that she has a flight simulator that she uses all the time and remember how she took off in the Falcon, it wasn't very graceful. Plus she is a Skywalker, she has to be, the force acts through them so it's not like Rey is doing all these amazing things herself. If she wasn't force-sensitive and TFA was the only story we saw her in then maybe you could argue that she is one.

As for the fight with Kylo he was shot by the bowcaster, went through a fight already with Finn, killed his father, and is fighting his inner demons. I don't think he is 100%, besides remember how 10 year old Anakin flew into the droid control ship and blew that up or how Luke blew up the Death Star with his eyes closed. It wasn't just them it was the Force acting through them.
    Do you mean: Remember how a 10 year old Anakin was auto-piloted to the droid control ship and then accidentally blew it up? Yeah, I remember that, it was very stupid.

Yeah, I remember how Luke Skywalker after training in the Force with Obi-Wan (training [that we actually see] that involved being able to feel where shots where going before they got there, which was something he couldn't do at all when we see him start training) was about to use the Force to hit the thing he couldn't with his targeting computer. Remember how in Empire after training under both Yoda and Obi-Wan Luke still lose to Vader and was almost killed?

Remember how the movie never actually comes out and tells you she is a Skywalker? And yes, she likely is, but this movie never said it, it just danced around what felt like a non-mystery. Remember how she beat a Skywalker that the movie total does tell you is trained in the ways of the Force?

BANNED

I'm taking in more than the movie has shown because I'm taking in what's canon like the novelization and previous works of the new canon as a whole. The Force is able to go through someone just as raw power, Luke by the end of the original trilogy could control his powers completely. While Rey is able to use her abilities but not with a full understanding of how or why. Like Kylo said she will only keep getting stronger and that she's testing her powers after she breaks out. Another line from book that Kylo says is "It is you" to Rey after she catch the saber in the woods, which ties back to his worries about her when he was speaking to Snoke. With how much is shown and hinted at it's more than enough for me to believe.
    Stop that. We're talking about the movie, not thing not in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Stop that. We're talking about the movie, not thing not in the movie.
    Well I was talking about it for a while with other people so apparently we were.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Do you mean: Remember how a 10 year old Anakin was auto-piloted to the droid control ship and then accidentally blew it up? Yeah, I remember that, it was very stupid.

Yeah, I remember how Luke Skywalker after training in the Force with Obi-Wan (training [that we actually see] that involved being able to feel where shots where going before they got there, which was something he couldn't do at all when we see him start training) was about to use the Force to hit the thing he couldn't with his targeting computer. Remember how in Empire after training under both Yoda and Obi-Wan Luke still lose to Vader and was almost killed?

Remember how the movie never actually comes out and tells you she is a Skywalker? And yes, she likely is, but this movie never said it, it just danced around what felt like a non-mystery. Remember how she beat a Skywalker that the movie total does tell you is trained in the ways of the Force?
    Anakin flew up to the droid control station by the auto pilot, he started shooting and landed inside without it.

Yes I do remember those things, my point being is that just because she did fantastical things in TFA, Luke and Anakin did the same kind of things in their own trilogy. I don't understand how you could go down the road of Calling Rey a Mary Sue character. She beat a wounded guy who is undergoing a serious mental stuggle and also hasn't even had his training complete as stated by Snoke in the film and book.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

In the original, Luke is able to survive the Death Star trench run in a fighter he's never really been trained on. (He's only really flown the Skyhopper, which we see partly in Luke's garage and represented by the model he's playing around with), while most of the other older and more experienced pilots (even Biggs has been a rebel longer although he initially was an Imperial pilot) are killed or damaged (Wedge). Although Vader would've probably hit him if Han hadn't shown up.

Although he's kind of lousy in the lightsaber combat in ESB, Luke does still show some skills with the weapon with the Wampa and taking down the AT-AT. By ROTJ he's better of course (He seems to have mainly self-trained, as Yoda's dialogue seems to indicate).
    Also Vader's been using the saber/force for about 40 years before ESB, so naturally Luke didn't really stand a chance anyway. We don't know how long Kylo's been with the Order/Snoke/Knights of Ren, or how long he trained with Luke.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-03-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Which one? Is it about the cloning or that he was watching over Rey?
    The cloning one and who he is speculated to be.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I don't really feel like we need to see that at all. The movie does a good enough job with him as is, and I don't really think we need to see what he was like before; was he a good kid, or was he a little shit? We know what we need to know about him, that other stuff just seems better left to our imaginations. But I do think the movie should have just come out and said Luke was Rey's dad, and let us see him training her a little. The whole middle of the movie where they're dancing around this hard in their long boring Cantina redux should have just come out and revealed it, but as is it just felt like a waste of time. And if we actually got to see Rey getting trained, even just a bit, it would have fixed the problem for her just trying things for the first time and still being seemingly better than everyone around her at them.

Would have been nice to see Finn's life as a Stormtrooper too. While watching the movie, when the life of these Stormtroopers came up, I was just wishing the movie had started with something like the opening of Soldiers does; like we see them take them as babies, we see their training, I guess because it's Finn we see him on latrine duty, and then follow him into the battle that opens the movie. Probably would have been a lot better following Finn that whole time, as opposed to there recreation of the opening of Star Wars. They could have even shown off the Starkiller base, Hux, and Phasma more during that. It would have also made it feel like we weren't watching a complete retreat of Star Wars, which would have been a really good thing; even if the opening still would have gotten us to the same place, just from the other side of things.
    I have an inkling that all that is in the "Prelude" stuff, with the books and all. Am I mistaken?
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    The cloning one and who he is speculated to be.
    Who is he speculated to be?

Extraordinary Member

Who is he speculated to be?
    Boba Fett.

:

Boba Fett.

:
    Ahhh I forgot about that one.

Kathleen Kennedy has said that Boba is a high priority for Lucasfilm. If they should take anything from the old EU it should be Boba's survival of the Sarlacc Pit. I wouldn't be surprised if Boba got his own Anthology film.

With what we know about Tekka I highly doubt he's Fett. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka

Extraordinary Member

Ahhh I forgot about that one.

Kathleen Kennedy has said that Boba is a high priority for Lucasfilm. If they should take anything from the old EU it should be Boba's survival of the Sarlacc Pit. I wouldn't be surprised if Boba got his own Anthology film.

With what we know about Tekka I highly doubt he's Fett. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka
    I also doubt he is, would have been cool if he was and he escaped.

I also doubt he is, would have been cool if he was and he escaped.
    It will be revealed that he escaped, he's Boba Fett. He's to awesome to stay "dead".