Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To me all the subtleties of the film indicate Luke is her father, not Han. If Han was ever intended to be her father at some point, I think it was changed. It just doesn't wash with the finished film. I'd like to imagine there would have been more subtle indications in interaction via creative writing between Han, Leia, and Rey in this regards if it was a situation where she was their daughter but for some reason they couldn't tell her. But I'm not getting that feeling. Leia for example clearly cares for Rey, but her reaction to seeing her doesn't really align to the strength of her emotions when talking to Han about her son.

Of course I'm sure this is exactly the type of debate the crew wants coming out of the film. So anything's possible at this point. My opinion certainly is biased in the direction that I want her to be Luke's child, I'll admit. There would be something just a tad askew to me in the narrative to not have a Skywalker by name in this trilogy. I know, even if she were a Solo she'd still have Skywalker blood from Leia, but its just not the same to me. Plus to me they could play on a dynamic of Kylo's insecurities with this. He's obsessed with his grandfather, wants to emulate him, but he's the son of a smuggler and the daughter who didn't become a Jedi. Meanwhile Rey has the name, she has the grand master father, she has what he wants.
    Yeah, I'm in the Rey is Luke's daughter boat. They specifically didn't give her a last name, and then she got the lightsaber that was first Anakin's, and then Luke's. Luke could have hidden her away after Kylo destroyed his Jedi Academy to protect her. I'm almost expecting a "Rey, I am your father" moment from Luke in Episode VIII.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post

Anyway again, she is untrained and she beats Kylo with no problem....although he was injured to begin with. Finn softened him up LOL! Not only that but she uses a Jedi Mind trick? I still don't buy that she's just sooo powerful with the force that she can do all of this stuff with no guidance.
    Actually....I got the sense that she stole the technique from Kylo Ren in that interrogation. He came in fat and sassy, arrogant that he could take the information from her, but didn't bother to think she was Force sensitive---that cost when when she fought back with her native talent; she obviously took some information from him. Why not some Force technique (though probably not consciously).

And put me into the column that think she's Luke's offspring; the parallel with the Death Star interrogation between Lea and Vader is there to make.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Actually....I got the sense that she stole the technique from Kylo Ren in that interrogation. He came in fat and sassy, arrogant that he could take the information from her, but didn't bother to think she was Force sensitive---that cost when when she fought back with her native talent; she obviously took some information from him. Why not some Force technique (though probably not consciously).

And put me into the column that think she's Luke's offspring; the parallel with the Death Star interrogation between Lea and Vader is there to make.
    I didn't get that, but that's me.

Also I still don't buy that she got that Jedi Mind trick technique from Kylo, that takes training. I can buy that she's naturally in-tuned with the force enough to resist Kylo's interrogation but to invade another person's mind and to make them do what you want....that takes training. As does calling a lightsaber. which she also seemed to to do with no problem.

And I doubt that she's Luke's daugther because why would he abandon his daughter on a desert world. Considering, that he himself grew up on a desert world he would know what kind of torture that would be so why would he subjugate his daughter to that. And also if he went into exile, why would he not go into exile on the same planet as his daughter and stick close by to sort of parallel his story to Obi Wan. And would he not abandon her on Tatooine instead of Jakku?

And finally at the end....if she was his daughter wouldn't the first thing be out of his mouth, is you found me Rey or something like that to acknowledge that he knows who she is.

Extraordinary Member

Cons (The Darkside LOL):

Finally Rey. Daisy was great with what was given but she just seemed too good at everything she did. And I think JJ and the writers want us to believe that it's just the force awakening in her....NAH. I don't buy that because not even Luke was like that in the first movie, it wasn't until he met Yoda that he actually displayed any significant force powers....although he did escape from the Wampa.

Anyway again, she is untrained and she beats Kylo with no problem....although he was injured to begin with. Finn softened him up LOL! Not only that but she uses a Jedi Mind trick? I still don't buy that she's just sooo powerful with the force that she can do all of this stuff with no guidance. It doesn't add up to me. And the whole mystery surrounding her parents. If it turns out to be Luke, I'm going to groan, b/c that would be terrible. We already have a Skywalker (Ben Solo/Kylo Ren).

I think Rey has no ties to anyone and this is Disney perhaps branching away from the Skywalker family and to a new family that's powerful in the force. It is a Saga after all and saga's never truly end, only the characters change. SO I wouldn't be surprised if we don't find out anything about her family until maybe Episode 9 which will probably lead into episode 10, 11, 12.
    The thing is, it just occurred to me that we don't really know how long Rey was on Jakku. If memories can be affected by the Force, she might only THINK she was left there as a child. She may have been there only a few years, in which case her Force abilities might not be awakening so mech as RE-awakening
    Last edited by brettc1; 12-18-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The thing is, it just occurred to me that we don't really know how long Rey was on Jakku. If memories can be affected by the Force, she might only THINK she was left there as a child. She may have been there only a few years, in which case her Force abilities might not be awakening so mech as RE-awakening
    Well, that was why I thought she stole some Force technique (perhaps unconsciously) from Kylo Ren when she plucked that bit about Darth Vader from his head. Neither were on purpose, so....

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I just got back. Huge group with me. I was in the extreme minority. Everybody loved it. I found it overrated.

I thought the movie was 'safe' Very 'Disney-esque.' The best way to describe it was a recycled Episode IV. There were no risks taken and I found it very predictable.

The villains were extremely stale and Rey was over the top.

Like I said, I was in the minority to the point where my group even got offended because I was the only one that wasn't happy with it.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post

I thought the movie was 'safe' Very 'Disney-esque.'
    Not a single character got a limb chopped off, despite all the lightsaber action. Did you notice that? I think that's a first for a STAR WARS movie.

The best way to describe it was a recycled Episode IV.
    Only in the most superficial ways; the tone was completely different from A NEW HOPE. In fact, the tone of THE FORCE AWAKENS is unique, not found in the other six movies. It's certainly a STAR WARS movie, but it has its own personality.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I don't get why people keep harping on about Rey beating Kylo. He just killed his father, was shot by Chewie and ran out of the building into the forest after Finn and Rey, bleeding the whole way there. He was not at 100%. Let's also not forget that Kylo clearly was not in tune with the Force. He couldn't make Anakin's saber come to him. The inner conflict between his true light side self and his darker desires were battling one another in mortal combat. You cannot walk both paths, you have to pick one, which meant Ben's connection to the Force was limited at the time.

Let us also not forget that both Kylo and Snoke recognized that something had happened, an awakening of sorts. That was not fully delved into but it sounds like the Force is opening flood gates a little bit in an effort to regain balance between the Light and Dark (due to Luke's inability to re-found the Jedi Order and thus oppose the Knights of Ren). One light side practitioner who has sequestered himself off on a single, lost planet cannot balance the cosmic scales when compared to the large cadre of active dark side users that exist within the First Order.

We also know that the Force manifests itself in the untrained in ways that can appear like natural talent/gifts. Anakin could pilot podracers in ways no other human could. Luke was able to shoot tiny targets from great distances in ways even expert fighter pilots could not. There were a series of books about Darth Bane. they aren't canon any more but what I always found interesting about them was that once bane became aware of his connection to the Force, his powers started to magnify at extraordinary rates. He was destined to become the most powerful Sith of the era. Rey is probably the same way.

We also know that Rey is at least aware of the stories of the Jedi and of Luke. She has probably heard tell of their amazing powers. Putting the stories together with what Kylo did to her, could easily lead her to influencing a weak mind - which Stormtroopers of this era have (as evidenced by Captain Phasma talking about reconditioning Finn after he started to misbehave).

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Only in the most superficial ways; the tone was completely different from A NEW HOPE. In fact, the tone of THE FORCE AWAKENS is unique, not found in the other six movies. It's certainly a STAR WARS movie, but it has its own personality.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Exactly.

So the basic plot is... Kid destined for greatness found on a desert planet. Leaves said planet to find their destiny in the greater galaxy. Kid teams up with a old mentor. Kid joins or is attached to the military. The old mentor is killed by a dark side user. Kid fights an evil organization and plays a pivotal role in the good guy's overall victory.

Sounds like both I, IV and VII. Shocker, I sense a theme developing. Even with the similarities, no one would claim Episode I was the same as Episode IV. The same is true for IV compared with VIII.

Look at where The Force Awakens deviates from the standard story - the old mentor, Han, played no part in getting the hero off the desert planet (the way both Obi and Qui-Gon did for Anakin and Luke). The kid destined for greatness was not an ace pilot and did not blow up the bad guy's big ship. Rey actually fought Ren, where as both Luke and Anakin did not fight their respective evil villains until the second movie. Neither Luke nor Anakin had Force Visions until movie #2.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 12-18-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Incredible Member

I got all warm and fuzzy when Han and Leia met up. The feels and nostalgia.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Also I still don't buy that she got that Jedi Mind trick technique from Kylo, that takes training. I can buy that she's naturally in-tuned with the force enough to resist Kylo's interrogation but to invade another person's mind and to make them do what you want....that takes training. As does calling a lightsaber. which she also seemed to to do with no problem.
    Part of why i think she's Luke's daughter is that it would, to me, explain more of how she was naturally able to take on Kylo- their cousins and equal parts Anakin/Vader the Chosen One.

And I doubt that she's Luke's daugther because why would he abandon his daughter on a desert world. Considering, that he himself grew up on a desert world he would know what kind of torture that would be so why would he subjugate his daughter to that. And also if he went into exile, why would he not go into exile on the same planet as his daughter and stick close by to sort of parallel his story to Obi Wan. And would he not abandon her on Tatooine instead of Jakku?
    I'm wondering if maybe Rey's mom ran off with her? If she didn't want to be part of Luke's new Jedi or if it could be when Ben turned that she ran, I don't know how Rey's age is supposed to compare to Kylo's. It could also be that Luke didn't know his wife/babymama was pregnant.

And finally at the end....if she was his daughter wouldn't the first thing be out of his mouth, is you found me Rey or something like that to acknowledge that he knows who she is.
    I assume that's how the next one opens.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 12-18-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    ...Let's also not forget that clearly was not in tune with the Force. He couldn't make Anakin's saber come to him. The inner conflict between his true light side self and his darker desires were battling one another in mortal combat. You cannot walk both paths, you have to pick one, which meant Ben's connection to the Force was limited at the time. ...
    Tell that to this guy.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Tell that to this guy.

He is no longer canon and - more importantly - did not allow the two paths to fight one another. He blended them. Completely different then Ben/Ren.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    He is no longer canon and - more importantly - did not allow the two paths to fight one another. He blended them. Completely different then Ben/Ren.
    No, but Mace Windu and Vapaad still are.

And if Ren is still conflicted, it's certainly not more so than Vader on Bespin.

The ONLY reason I see Rey having beat Ren this time is that he'd just been shot by a weapon that had been established several times in the movie as being extremely powerful, was losing blood, had been cut by Finn in their light sabre duel, and was using a lot of his anger fuelled Force to just keep himself upright. Not to mention Snoke says outright his training is not complete.

The real mystery at this point is how this guy didn't have his ass handed to him by Luke?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Yeah neither was Rey's training didnt stop her from beating his ***...also how come Kylo doesnt cauterize his wound with his lightsaber. And really Finn goes from getting beat by a Trooper to landing a blow on a Skywalker....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Yeah neither was Rey's training didnt stop her from beating his ***...also how come Kylo doesnt cauterize his wound with his lightsaber. And really Finn goes from getting beat by a Trooper to landing a blow on a Skywalker....
    A badly wounded Skywalker. And if Vader weren't wearing some pretty heavy duty armor, Luke would have cut his arm off on Bespin.

As for cauterizing the wound - that sabre of his doesn't exactly look like it's the most subtle of weapons. I sure as hell wouldn't be shoving it into an open wound. I think Kylo must have some armor under those robes to be able to take a hit from a sabre and a Wookie bow-caster and live.

It seems Kylo's attempt to 'mind-meld' with Rey [a power I am not sure we have ever seen before, except perhaps in the Emperor] back-fired when she proved stronger in the Force than he anticipated. That might be because both her parents were Jedi - we don't know. But instead of him gaining information about to find Luke, his probe worked the other way and allowed her to jump-start some of her latent force abilities. Kylo even says in the movie that as time passes the danger she poses will increase.