Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Kyle Jinadu-Boubier become an Inhuman?

Thread title is fairly self explanatory.

Should the husband of Northstar, and half of Marvel's first gay marriage, gain Inhuman powers?

At the moment we never see him- his main story point is that he doesn't fit in the superheroic world. This means that the marriage itself is never seen.

By giving him Inhuman powers, we not only can fold him into the X-Men proper, but we get a new power couple, we get a new black gay superhero and we get to see him actually developed as his own character. Plus the Inhuman angle is not only the easiest way to empower him, but also plays wonderfully into the current status quo.

So. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Reality; 12-15-2015 at 01:00 AM.

That you misspelled "Beaubier".

More seriously, while it's not my favorite idea ever, I think it could be interesting. One of the tensions in Jean-Paul and Kyle's relationship is that Kyle is permanently on the outside of the mutant experience. Having him manifest powers of his own would give them new common ground, but also introduces a different stress on the relationship. Potentially several, come to think of it.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 12-15-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Dammit! All the vowels tripped me up! And I was so careful with his maiden name as well.

It occurred to me after.posting this that I forgot to mention that having a resident Inhuman would actually be strategically useful for the X-Men currently, as entering the mist is something they can't really do. This would give them a strong reason to utilize Kyle if he were empowered, in-universe. But his power source would lead to interesting friction...

I can dig it. All-New All-Different Montagues and Capulets.

Seeing the husband of an X-Men suddenly become a member and the rise of a gay black superhero is appealing but I'm not here for it. I'd much rather prefer having a story arc about him dealing with being married to a super person and a gay one at that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by silence. View Post
    Seeing the husband of an X-Men suddenly become a member and the rise of a gay black superhero is appealing but I'm not here for it. I'd much rather prefer having a story arc about him dealing with being married to a super person and a gay one at that.
    ^^^^ This. He and Jean-Paul have an interesting enough dynamic without resorting to giving Kyke powers.

Of course, while the dynamic may be interesting, it still doesn't win them any space for stories to be told. The "your world is too much for me" plot really only works when you can give it enough focus- say, in a solo book.

Quote Originally Posted by silence. View Post
    I'm more fond of Kyle as a baseline human too, but I don't think one direction necessarily precludes the other. JP and Kyle will still be gay and married, after all, they'll just have a massive new complication in their lives.

Thing is, though, Kyle doesn't really want to be a superhero. The whole violence-and-killing thing doesn't do a lot for him. And Northstar would drop from a very great height the first person to suggest sending his husband into the poison, mutant-killing cloud. So I think it would have to be approached more creatively than "Oh, you've got powers? Great, welcome to the team!"

I'd be okay with that, what powers should he have?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no...

What makes him special is the fact he is a human with no powers!!!

didn't he get skinned and upgraded to be a cyborg in that alpha flight mini a few years back?

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    didn't he get skinned and upgraded to be a cyborg in that alpha flight mini a few years back?
    He got some kind of nebulous "whee, you are the apex of men now" upgrade from The Master of the World, an uplifted caveman who's had it in for Alpha Flight for a few decades. It mostly seemed to involve bad haircuts and having the wrong number of toes, and was essentially overly complicated brainwashing. It was undone by a plot-device machine.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 12-15-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Really, I'd be okay with anything that gets them page time. Northstar barely gets any as is, let alone his husband. A story about how Kyle deals with being normal in an abnormal world or a story about him suddenly getting powers on the other side of the mutant/inhuman divide. Both would be interesting, both would bring the marriage back to the forefront so I'd be good with either.

Bleeding Cool seems to think Marvel has applied this idea, not for the Jinadu-Beaubiers but for Bobby and the NuHuman he saved.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...nd-an-inhuman/

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Bleeding Cool seems to think Marvel has applied this idea, not for the Jinadu-Beaubiers but for Bobby and the NuHuman he saved.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...nd-an-inhuman/

He looks way too young for Bobby.
    As for Kyle, it could be an interesting way to go, but I'd try exploring him as a normal person in the middle of all the mutant craziness first. I love regular humans as supporting cast for the X-men. It's a shame not even Northstar is being used, so Kyle doesn't have a place either.