Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What should DC do with JLA after Hitch completes this arc?

Well as we all know in March JLA will be delayed......again, what would be the best thing to do with the book once Hitch completes this Rao arc? have him focus on writing solely with someone on art duty or a new creative team?
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Astonishing Member

I think the appeal of Hitch's JLA is...well, that it's Hitch's JLA. I don't think there would be much interest for it being drawn by someone else -- either from fans, or from DC.

Just leave it to do its own thing, indefinite hiatus until he's got 6 issues in the can or whatever. Launch a third JLA title with someone like Tom King, Steve Orlando, etc and some up and coming artist more capable of pushing himself to the ungodly strains necessary to keep up a relatively monthly schedule.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah, the whole point to JLA is Bryan Hitch's vision of the League. Just wait till he's got the next arc ready.

BANNED

DC should hire a co-writer. So if Hitch is ever late again, there could be a writer that can still keep it consistent. I don't know what's going on with Hitch right now. DC fans love to point fingers, but whatever is going on probably isn't his fault. He's only human.

Astonishing Member

I would say they could try making this a 'destination' JLA book, a la JLA Classified, but...well, JLA classified is the greatest strike against, really.

Still, a JLA story not concerned with continuity (as Hitch's JLA isn't), reserved for Hickman and Opena to do a 12 issue 'evergreen' arc...to be followed by Mark Millar and Wilfredo Torres...etc.

The finances of that don't make sense, though; these projects get billed on the creator, and so you need to create new branding to full capitalize on that. Hence, a new series.

They'd probably do best to turn it into a series of mini-series.
    Instead of fill-ins or delays, they could turn it into a positive by having a new #1 for each arc.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Mini-series tend to have lower sales than ongoings. I remember that was given reason when Marvel stopped saying if new title is mini or ongoing and few months later would say "yeah, its supposed to wrap by #5".

Always Rakzo

Well, I'm sure that Hitch has a few more stories before packing.

However, once that it eventually happens I wish the title would focus on the different superheroes that exist in, well, America. You could call it a limited version of Justice League Unlimited but it could work if they concentrate on lesser-known characters while expanding their respective mythos and worlds.

Maybe turn it into a series where any lesser known writers who normally wouldn't get a chance to write the Justice League and write what they feel like writing.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Well, the draw of JLA is Hitch. Without him there, people will just read the regular Justice League title.

So let Hitch do his thing for as long as he wants. If he's having trouble keeping to a monthly schedule, then let him release the book in short stints (like, I dunno, three issues or something) then take a scheduled month or two off, then release the next stint of three issues. The problem here would be trade collections; you could end up waiting a year to get those first six issues in a collection, but it seems its either that or end up with unscheduled delays every few months, and no one responds well to that. At least if the break is announced and treated as a planned move (in other words, business as usual) people will still hate the delay but at least they'll be forewarned and less likely to throw fits. It will look like DC and Hitch are pacing themselves and allowing themselves the extra time required to create a high quality product rather than someone biting off more than they can chew.

Once Hitch is done? Drop the book. Without his name attached it's superfluous. If there's another big name creator who wants to do the same thing, launch it as a new #1 and treat it as its own entity, just as Hitch's run is being left alone by the larger DCU. I'd rather see a series of high end JLA "limited series" than another random Justice League title that isnt doing anything the regular JL isnt, that has deadline problems and rotating creative teams and pointless filler issues.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

put the book on hold for a few months to let Hitch get more issues completed and bring it back with a co-writer. if Hitch doesn't want a co-writer just make sure he's far ahead before releasing the proceeding issues.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Someone already said this in another thread, but DC should've made sure they had at least six competed issues in the can before JLA debuted. Perhaps that would've prevented these sort of delays.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Someone already said this in another thread, but DC should've made sure they had at least six competed issues in the can before JLA debuted. Perhaps that would've prevented these sort of delays.
    That kind of prep time (and pay for it) is rare in American comics. Even with one guy writing and drawing, you're still paying editors, inkers, colorists, and for trade dress, logo, etc.

I think more American comics should work that way. The Multiversity certainly benefitted from it. But it is exceptionally rare.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Someone already said this in another thread, but DC should've made sure they had at least six competed issues in the can before JLA debuted.
    This is Hitch working with DC. Getting delays was expected. I'm just impressed he got four issues in.

BANNED

I would not mind having more fill-in stories until Hitch gets it together. The MM story was pretty cool.