View Poll Results: What was THE ULTIMATE LGBT HIGHLIGHT of 2015?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D (ep. 1, season 3) Jose Cuterrez is the first ever LGBT hero in the MCU

2 3.85%
  • ALL NEW X-MEN #40. Jean Grey outs 05 Iceman

6 11.54%
  • AMAZING SPIDERMAN #1. The wedding of Max Modell

0 0%
  • ANGELA: ASSASSIN OF ASGARD #3. Sera becomes one of the first ever truly trans heroes

3 5.77%
  • ANGELA: QUEEN OF HEL #1. 5th ever LGBT solo series from Marvel, Angela & Sera are confirmed lovers.

7 13.46%
  • ANT-MAN ANNUAL #1. Introducing Raz Malhotra as a potential Giant Man

2 3.85%
  • DAREDEVIL (ep. 3, season 1). In passing we have our first ever mention than LGBT exist in the MCU

0 0%
  • GWENPOOL CHRISTMAS SPECIAL. Sharon King confirmed married to Ellen King

0 0%
  • JESSICA JONES (ep. 1, season 1). Jeri Hogarth first confirmed lesbian of the MCU

1 1.92%
  • MARVEL HEROES. Wiccan becomes a playable character as an enhanced ‘costume’ for the Scarlet Witch

0 0%
  • NEW AVENGERS #1. Wiccan and Hulkling become the first ever LGBT couple on an Avengers roster.

4 7.69%
  • SECRET WARS: SIEGE #2. Magik and Leah confirmed as lovers.

1 1.92%
  • ULTIMATES #1. Miss America Chavez becomes the first LGBT POC on an Avengers roster.

6 11.54%
  • UNCANNY X-MEN #600. Iceman comes out, becoming the first ever A-list gay character from Marvel.

15 28.85%
  • WOLVERINES #7. Mystique & Destiny finally depicted as lovers; LGBT romance catalyst for the series

5 9.62%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    It's not reaching. Northstar might have made the news a little with the wedding, but mostly no one outside of comic readers know who he is. Iceman was in the movies and gets referenced in other stuff like Family Guy. He's way more famous than Northstar. Whether the general public will also know he's gay is something else entirely.

Well he came out in Uncanny X-Men 500.
    If you mean "announce to the world" in universe, that never happened. But most outings in comics aren't to the entire in universe world.
    I think the general public would have thought he was gay anyway due to most of his appearances on Family Guy being jokes about him being gay. His wife discovering a slide of ice leading to a gay strip club, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    More people know who Catwoman is, than Iceman, I'd bet.
    I would actually say that that's sort of debatable, but I am a totally biased Iceman/X-Men fan Marvel properties are on a lot more peoples' minds these days than DC's, and I believe Iceman has actually had more television, film and video game appearances than Catwoman. I also feel like more people know about Bobby's sexuality than Selena's, I actually don't think most people know she's bisexual, let alone in a relationship with a woman. Selena may have a solo but it isn't doing super well and Iceman has been a main cast member in a flagship x-book for a number of years now, so I'd say more people read a book with Bobby in it than Selena, generally speaking. They're both great either way (but like I said I'm biased lol)

I do agree that DC is doing a much better job overall with LGBT representation and depicting LGBT relationships, Marvel needs to step it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    I think no matter how you feel about how it was handled, adult Iceman's coming out was probably the biggest highlight, followed by his younger self's revelation and then probably Miss America on an Avengers roster imo.
    I have to agreed. Even IF someone doesn't like how it was handled (and personally I loved it); no one can deny its significance. But I always knew it would win the poll (for that reason). My biggest curiosity was what can second.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I've been away from the site while Christmas has been going on but now that I'm back I'd like to clarify my "Iceman is the most famous gay superhero" comment from earlier. I wasn't saying that Iceman is the LGBT superhero character that most people know of, I was saying he's the gay male superhero character that most people know of. And it's worth pointing out that while Catwoman is probably more famous, most of the general public probably isn't aware that Catwoman is portrayed as bisexual now, same with Mystique.

Iceman has been in not just the comics but tv series, video-games and multiple installments of a popular movie franchise. Other LGBT superhero characters have been out and proud for a lot longer than Iceman but most of the non-comic reading public has no clue about Northstar, Batwoman, etc. Iceman is a character a lot more people know of.