View Poll Results: What was THE ULTIMATE LGBT HIGHLIGHT of 2015?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D (ep. 1, season 3) Jose Cuterrez is the first ever LGBT hero in the MCU

2 3.85%
  • ALL NEW X-MEN #40. Jean Grey outs 05 Iceman

6 11.54%
  • AMAZING SPIDERMAN #1. The wedding of Max Modell

0 0%
  • ANGELA: ASSASSIN OF ASGARD #3. Sera becomes one of the first ever truly trans heroes

3 5.77%
  • ANGELA: QUEEN OF HEL #1. 5th ever LGBT solo series from Marvel, Angela & Sera are confirmed lovers.

7 13.46%
  • ANT-MAN ANNUAL #1. Introducing Raz Malhotra as a potential Giant Man

2 3.85%
  • DAREDEVIL (ep. 3, season 1). In passing we have our first ever mention than LGBT exist in the MCU

0 0%
  • GWENPOOL CHRISTMAS SPECIAL. Sharon King confirmed married to Ellen King

0 0%
  • JESSICA JONES (ep. 1, season 1). Jeri Hogarth first confirmed lesbian of the MCU

1 1.92%
  • MARVEL HEROES. Wiccan becomes a playable character as an enhanced ‘costume’ for the Scarlet Witch

0 0%
  • NEW AVENGERS #1. Wiccan and Hulkling become the first ever LGBT couple on an Avengers roster.

4 7.69%
  • SECRET WARS: SIEGE #2. Magik and Leah confirmed as lovers.

1 1.92%
  • ULTIMATES #1. Miss America Chavez becomes the first LGBT POC on an Avengers roster.

6 11.54%
  • UNCANNY X-MEN #600. Iceman comes out, becoming the first ever A-list gay character from Marvel.

15 28.85%
  • WOLVERINES #7. Mystique & Destiny finally depicted as lovers; LGBT romance catalyst for the series

5 9.62%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Question What was your "TOP 3" LGBT highlight of 2015 at Marvel?

Inspired by last year's discussion in the LGBT Marvel Appreciation thread; I wanted to see what everyone thought was the best LGBT moments of 2015. Obviously it's been a big year for LGBT characters, thanks to Iceman, Angela, Sera and the Jessica Jones TV series. So we should have a thread to see what everyone felt was THE defining LGBT moment of 2015. My money is on Iceman for the win!
    http://community.comicbookresources....ciation/page48

Below is our discussion from 2014. Enjoy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    So with 2014 nearly over: what was the highlight for LGBT characters in 2014?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'd say the LGBT highlight for this year was probably the Anole issue of Amazing X-Men. There's not that much to choose from. There's Pod, the first openly LGBT Avenger. Hulkling, Prodigy and Noh-Varr got a fun Original Sin tie-in story. Northstar was in Amazing X-Men, and got a fairly prominent role in the Wendigo arc. There was the gay couple who supported Kate Bishop, and were great. Daken kissed a dude, and Mystique's love for Destiny was touched on. Storm kissed a girl while evil, and as a show of dominance, and blamed it on Quire, and I don't give a **** what some people think, that was by no stretch of the imagination in any way a positive moment. Loki being genderfluid was handled fairly well.

Beyond that stuff, I'm drawing a blank on LGBT content from this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    I liked Cullen and Anachronism in Avengers Undercover. By the end they had a gay/straight bromance going. Which isn't too common.
    "Top 3" Highlights
    - Prelude to Wolverines. Daken, Marvels ONLY LGBT solo star to have two series; gets freed from Remender and used in a monthly comic by a writer who "gets" him; in a comic also starring Marvel's first LGBT solo star: Mystique (both of whom have their LGBT status shown in the comic).
    - Northstar in Amazing X-men (both Aaron and Kyle&Yost); heroic, fun, egotistical, as he blood should be!
    - Anole's one-shot in Amazing X-men
    Quote Originally Posted by asiea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asiea View Post
    Odin—classically not the warmest or fuzziest parent in the Marvel Universe—has a moment where he stops to think about how much he loves his kids. And when he talks of them, he refers to them as “My son and my daughter and my child who is both.
    Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    My highlights of 2014:
    *Loki: Agent of Asgard
    *Anole gets a date!
    *Hulkling/Wiccan's textual flirtation and Miss America's date over in Original Sins
    *The use of gay characters and couples as background characters in titles like Hawkeye, DC's Batgirl, and I'm sure there are plenty others
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 12-19-2015 at 08:00 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

The life and death of Tracy Burke is cover-dated 2015. Was it not actually 2015? If it counts, then that issue of Captain Marvel is probably more important to me than most of these, if not all. (And, didn't Hammer being "prison gay," whether taken for laughs or as more evidence of his ego in action, confirm homosexuality before Daredevil did?)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I voted for Mystique and Destiny Wolverines #7.

I voted for Uncanny X-Men 500 and adult Bobby's outing.
    It was something I've been hoping and wishing for, for as long as I remember reading X-men comics.
    The outing itself was an understated, but moving and emotional moment and I loved it. Even more so because it was Bobby being confronted by himself.

But since the thread title is favorite top 3...

My second favorite moment is Hulkling and Wiccan graduating to full Avengers membership (even though the fractured nature of various teams makes it somewhat unofficial) in New Avengers. These two are among my very favorite characters in comics. Just having them active in an ongoing is enough to put them in second position, but them being full fledged Avengers is the cherry on the pie.

And my third choice is Wiccan being playable in Marvel Heroes (and soon in the new Avengers LEGO game) (and Teen Bobby being playable in Marvel Puzzle Quest).
    Basically gay characters getting more visibility outside of the comics themselves.
    Now if only we could get them to appear more in the MCU and Marvel's cartoons and such.

I know Iceman will be the obvious big winner here, but honestly, I don't care about Iceman. Even now that he's gay, I don't care. So my top moment was Queen of Hel. Look at this moment:
    IMG_00104-600x6731.jpg
    That is ridiculously gorgeous art and a fantastic moment. Sera being revealed as trans was also great, since it makes her their first superpowered trans character.

Jeri Hogarth in Jessica Jones was up there. I had problems with the plotting with the divorce subplot, but damn if Moss didn't make Jeri a compelling character who's easy to hate.

I did appreciate that Mystique's feelings for Destiny were a major driver of the plot of Wolverines. I wish they'd brought Destiny back at the end. Also, I still want Marvel to do a mini about Mystique and Destiny first meeting and falling in love. I know Marguerite Bennett is already doing a period-piece lesbian anti-heroes series with InSeXts (which is awesome and you should totally pick it up), but still, Marvel has a golden story sitting there and they're not doing it. Mystique/Destiny mini for 2016!

Kieran's "TOP 3" Highlights:
    1. the outing of Iceman in Uncanny X-men #600. Not only have fans been hoping to see that for as long as I've been on CBR; it was also a monumental step forward. It's the first openly gay A-lister AND the first time Marvel have outed an established "founding" character from one of their lines. It was so beautifully written too; Bendis earned a colossal amount of respect from me for his achievement and bravery in committing to such a story.
    2. Our 5th LGBT solo series ever!!!! Not only am I thrilled to see Angela and Sera confirmed a couple (and I agree, in such beautiful art); it's also important that we get our LGBT solo series back up to 5; after losing Herc to shameful bierasure this year.
    3. Wiccan and Hulkling join the Avengers! Firstly love seeing my boy graduate to the big leagues (with Songbird too, SQUEAL!!!). Secondly he's not background but actually getting story focus. Thirdly it's the first LGBT couple of the Avengers and the first gay male Avengers. Win, win, WIN!!!

Because the Lego game isn't out, I haven't added it. We'll save that for my number one slot of 2016's highlight poll. I have yet to play Marvel Heroes, so while excited I can't be too thrilled, having not ayes it (REALLY want to, though). Anyway, I'm off on my stag do, so be save my lovelies. Don't do anything I wouldn't do, and play nice
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

For me:

1) Angela: Queen of Hel- this book is wonderful and the relationship equally so. Get them in a movie, Marvel!

2) The new Giant-Man- it was a nice surprise and I look forward to seeing him in action. I hope we get a team-ups of the new Captain America, Hulk, Giant-Man and Thor at some point, with maybe War Machine and the (presumably coming) new Wasp thrown in for fun! All-New, all different, all-awesome!

3) Jeryn Hogarth- I just loved her character, and her arc was brilliant. They let her be just as complex and broken as Jessica Jones, turning a character I never cared about into one that's entertaining as hell. Plus I like that they did a straight adaptation of her male comic book counterpart's backstory by having her divorce just before meeting Iron Fist- and I can't wait to see her on that show!

Meltdown/Joey Gutierrez comes a close fourth. He's cool, but he hasn't done a lot yet. Definitely nice to have a gay superhero in the MCU, though.
    Last edited by Reality; 12-20-2015 at 01:04 AM.

This is a great page 1. Lot's of good captured illos. I picked Meltdown, Joey Gutierrez because I prefer new to retconned and because, he is on TV and I hope he gets into the comics. Also, I stopped reading Marvel comics until they return the real Marvel Universe so TV and movies it is. They have barely touched the surface with Joey....damn winter break! More. More.

Also, close second, Jeri Hogarth the (gender-changed for TV) character from Jessica Jones. Second for gender change and her barely legal activities and ethics. The Lesbian Lawyer you love to hate. She was very well developed and quite ethically challenged but, I loved her all the same. Kilgrave really put her through the ringer with her wife and girlfriend. Poor woman. She will be a great supporting characters in Iron Fist and The Defenders. Fingers crossed for the inclusion of Patricia/Trish/Patsy as Hellcat.

Love the Moloids piece and the beautiful art with Angela and Sera for honorable mention.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

That is ridiculously gorgeous art and a fantastic moment. Sera being revealed as trans was also great, since it makes her their first superpowered trans character.
    I don't want to rain on everyone, but she's not. Just by showing the moloid, we know she's not. Definitely not in terms of comics period, and not really even in terms of Marvel comics, as a character, a super-powered character, or a superhero. Cloud was openly genderfluid (and ultimately not human, but Cloud didn't know that). Sasquatch spent two years worth of comics as a woman, much of it very comfortable as a woman, and in some ways, canon, more comfortable than they had been as a man. Chance, who kicks much ass, was constantly being mistaken for a boy, but also expressed desire/perception in that direction, inasmuch as a Code approved book as going to. Alternate reality Mystiques and Stranges. The gender-reversed Earth from Excalibur that's actually our favorite "generally male-read" Popuppian splitting off and populating a planet for fun, games, and superheroine fisticuffs. Casual trans characters include the dance choreographer who gets married at the end of Milligan's Elektra run.

If anything Xavin's inability to be genderfluid, while claiming all Skrulls were, might as well be evidence that for a Skrull, Xavin is trans, and very very gender-locked. "Captain Kirk" as the old Gender Aptitude Test says.

She's the most prominent at Marvel right now. And, the publisher will, undoubtedly, avoid using that term or any term like it as much as they can.

I did appreciate that Mystique's feelings for Destiny were a major driver of the plot of Wolverines. I wish they'd brought Destiny back at the end.
    I wish Wolverines had just been "better." It seemed like a meandering series of events with a big "alien friend of Logan teaches them some lessons" in the middle. It's also one of the few comics where I've legitimately felt that from issue one forward they didn't stop and just explain who most of the regular cast are.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Someone in the LGBT thread said Kismet?(sp?) was the first trans character, but I've never heard of them. Who is that???

Someone in the LGBT thread said Kismet?(sp?) was the first trans character, but I've never heard of them. Who is that???
    The female counterpart to Adam Warlock. He was Him, she was Her. She was originally awakened too early from her cocoon in a masculine form (then named Paragon) then later formed a new cocoon, completed her physical development and emerged as female. She's also been Ayesha, while she was mind controlled by a supervillain in Genosha. The multiple name changes make not knowing her even easier!

I'm not sure it counts, really. She was basically a fetus when she looked male, changed to a female and she's basically been solely motivated by the desire to breed since developing, showing no signs of gender confusion. She changed sexes, but arguably was never the original sex anyway. Not really close to anything like a real life trans person. Never had dysphoria and magically transitioned. Male origins never really mentioned or relevant again. Is biologically engineered to be female. Weird one to zero in on.

Starhawk is her child with Quasar, apparently, and that's a whole other can of confusing. As was Mar-Vell's reincarnation in Earth X, but with Adam Warlock.

Though I think something cool could be done with her if you were to integrate her into the whole Universal Church of Truth stuff. She'd fit very well there.
    Last edited by Reality; 12-20-2015 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    The female counterpart to Adam Warlock. He was Him, she was Her. She was originally awakened too early from her cocoon in a masculine form (then named Paragon) then later formed a new cocoon, completed her physical development and emerged as female. She's also been Ayesha, while she was mind controlled by a supervillain in Genosha. The multiple name changes make not knowing her even easier!

I'm not sure it counts, really. She was basically a fetus when she looked male, changed to a female and she's basically been solely motivated by the desire to breed since developing, showing no signs of gender confusion. She changed sexes, but arguably was never the original sex anyway. Not really close to anything like a real life trans person. Never had dysphoria and magically transitioned. Male origins never really mentioned or relevant again. Is biologically engineered to be female. Weird one to zero in on.

Starhawk is her child with Quasar, apparently, and that's a whole other can of confusing. As was Mar-Vell's reincarnation in Earth X, but with Adam Warlock.

Though I think something cool could be done with her if you were to integrate her into the whole Universal Church of Truth stuff. She'd fit very well there.
    Ah, perfect! Thanks for this So you'd say she wouldn't "count" a bit like Xavin? She is a metaphor for trans BUT not a direct I was born male but felt I was a woman (e.g. Sera)?

Ah, perfect! Thanks for this So you'd say she wouldn't "count" a bit like Xavin? She is a metaphor for trans BUT not a direct I was born male but felt I was a woman (e.g. Sera)?
    Yeah. They work as metaphors for exploring trans stories, like the X-Men do for sexualities and ethnicities, but they aren't representation any more than Martian Manhunter is really a black guy.

Whereas with Sera, her being trans is the key part of her story that brings her together with Angela. Her life as a man and her transition to a woman are the core of her story. Magical transition or not (and that was left ambiguous), she is trans. She trapped in the wrong skin and now she isn't. She's a wonderfully real character, also funny as hell and glib about her struggles.

I really hope she shows up in a movie eventually. My current working theory for Thor: Ragnarok is that Thor will discover Odin is Loki and go to Hel to retrieve him, sparking a war between the gods and the dead. While I hope his mother is saved instead of Odin, because I like her better as the leader of Asgard, either one of them could tell him that he had a sister that was supposed to have died, but isn't in Hel or Valhalla. That would set up Angela and Sera in the MCU!

I voted for Iceman because I think that was the most important and remarkable moment, but if I'm going to say my favorite, it was totally Angela and Sera, both her being transgender and their relationship(ok, that specially, I'm a shipper!). I also loved AOS and Jessica Jones, but mostly because I love both shows and not the LGBT characters itself.

Voted for Mac in Ultimates. I love MAC. She's just like a friend I have in real life.