Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's a two way street.

People have to display common sense and avoid places they know spoilers are likely going to be discussed.

That said people also can try not to be assholes and deliberately spoil it for people. Just throw up a spoiler warning, or use spoiler tags. If someone gets it spoiled then that's 100% on them. Everybody wins.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I have the opposite question, what about this movie has people actively trying to spoil it just to be dicks?

People were posting who does or doesn't die in YouTube comments, on Cinemablend there were phone camera pics of the scenes in the comments. Reddit and 4Chan had them as thread titles. Why?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I have the opposite question, what about this movie has people actively trying to spoil it just to be dicks?

People were posting who does or doesn't die in YouTube comments, on Cinemablend there were phone camera pics of the scenes in the comments. Reddit and 4Chan had them as thread titles. Why?
    Reading comments sections and/or Reddit/4Chan would fall into the category of "places not to visit if I don't want spoilers", in my opinion.

If certain, or a certain amount of, spoilers detract one from their own enjoyment of a thing, then really...just go hide in a hole. Some people genuinely get excited and lose composure; some do it on purpose. But it's kind of like defensive driving.

When I don't want spoilers I'll actively avoid the net. I hate people who simply drop spoilers in a conversation and are confused when you get mad. ''It's just a movie bro! Chillax'' There is a special place in hell for those people.

BANNED

Because it's Reddit and 4Chan?

Boisterously Confused

IMO, they need to feel a sense of agency in their lives, that they matter relative to others. If that's how they get it, they're pretty sad specimens.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Reading comments sections and/or Reddit/4Chan would fall into the category of "places not to visit if I don't want spoilers", in my opinion.
    Oh I did avoid them (in fact I never really go to Reddit or 4Chan). I didn't even come here either but there's so many stories of people saying something got spoiled for them in random places and seemingly for no reason other than just to do it.

People don't go out of their way to spoil other series.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    I hate people who simply drop spoilers in a conversation and are confused when you get mad. ''It's just a movie bro! Chillax'' There is a special place in hell for those people.
    Yeah that's why I don't get this thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This is not a new phenomenon either. There were plenty of films in past that expressly asked audiences to not reveal the ending to others. Hitchcock actually built part of Psycho's promotional campaign around it.
    Interesting you should mention that. That was one of the references going through my head too but I am not sure why. Can you remind me which films. (See edit)

The earliest I can think of was Witness for the Prosecution which was Billy Wilder as director but somthing about that reminds me of Hichcock.

But in that film there was a very clear twist ending that would spoil the story, much like Sixth Sense (which I had spoiled and resented). I am not really thinking of the spoiling of twists and surprises, more the total avoidance of anything at all. That mystifies me.

Edit: was reading on phone and somehow missed the actual reference to Psyco in your post. Doh!
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-20-2015 at 01:54 PM.

As someone who wasn't at all interested in spoilers or hype I didn't see any of this, but I am aware of the debate. But how prevalent was this? Were these examples magnified out of proportion or were they pervasive.

Fantastic Member

The first time I remember spoilers being a huge thing in my lifetime was "The Crying Game".

That said, clearly going out and deliberately posting plot twists in the open with intent to spoil is a dick move, no questions asked. On the other hand, saying that someone who inadvertently lets out a spoiler has RUINED THE MOVIE - and I have see that exact phrasing - has engaged in hyperbole, or the movie just isn't that good.

I say if you are hypersensitive to spoilers, then you have to take responsibility for it, and go dark on social media until such time as you get to see the product. If you have friends, let them know your intentions. If they persist in spoiling, via text or whatnot, they aren't friends.

BANNED

People have done that for ages, but I guess it's just more noticable on bigger franchises. I got spoiled that Dobby would die in the book of Deathly Hallows on a Youtube comment.

I like to avoid spoilers simply because I hate to know the "surprise" in the movie. I remember when Serenity came out, I was so careful to avoid spoilers. There was an interview with Joss Whedon in the newspaper. There was no warning about spoilers, so I figured safe to read. Second to the last question, "How did it feel to kill off characters in the movie?" Not just one but at least two characters were going to die in the movie. I was so mad about it, because the shock factor of the death was ruined for me. Star Wars is known for big secrets Darth Vader is Luke's father, Leia is Luke's sister, both huge reveals in the movies.

So bluntly, why can't everyone go to a movie and enjoy it how they want? Don't be a dick and spoil a movie for others, that is called the considerate thing to do. On the flip side I will also say, you can't be protected from spoilers forever. A week or two weeks and you can no longer put the blinders on, go see the movie.

Now I have a question back to you. Why do you not understand the concept of not spoiling something for another person? If you saw someone reading a murder mystery book would you say, "The butler did it?"

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Or, we could not be tools about it and let others enjoy the surprise by simply labeling threads and posts as containing spoilers, and use handy instruments like the spoiler tags on these threads. Assuming we start with the notion "it's not all about me."

This is not a new phenomenon either. There were plenty of films in past that expressly asked audiences to not reveal the ending to others. Hitchcock actually built part of Psycho's promotional campaign around it.

If an online community exercises reasonable precautions, however, somebody that walks into a spoiler is kind of asking for it.
    I remember reading somewhere that Psycho was (one of ?) the first movie(s) for which the audience was only allowed - or was being asked - to enter in projecting room before the very beginning of the movie. And not to spoil the plot or the twist to others too. And, IIRC, it worked very well. It changed the habits of the audience - while Psycho was an independent movie.

Of course I'm not sure that any Disney production could easily fit in that category. I'm not sure that my memories are really reliable either by the way...

EDIT : corrected some non-sense...
    Last edited by Abe; 12-20-2015 at 02:05 PM.

Witness for the Prosecution marketed itself as being the era's defining suspense film (1957). At the end of the film, and actually in the print so still visible if you catch it on TV were these words:

The management of this theatre suggests that for the greater entertainment of your friends who have not yet seen the picture, you will not divulge, to anyone, the secret of the ending of Witness for the Prosecution.

I have always considered this to be ironic considering it was based on an Agatha Christie best seller from over thirty years previously.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-20-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Witness for the Prosecution marketed itself as being the era's defining suspense film (1957). At the end of the film, and actually in the print so still visible if you catch it on TV were these words:

The management of this theatre suggests that for the greater entertainment of your friends who have not yet seen the picture, you will not divulge, to anyone, the secret of the ending of Witness for the Prosecution.

I have always considered this to be ironic considering it was based on an Agatha Christie best seller from over thirty years previously.
    I can top this, a friend of mine worked at a movie theater when Titanic came out. A lady got mad at him by ruining the ending with "The boat sank."