Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    No, you're using "we" as a means to validate your own opinion. You're speaking only for yourself so don't use the term "we" unless you have some sort of collective at the desk helping you type.
    By 'we' I refer to those who agree with me (I am not alone in this - just listen to any number of podcasts from other true fans). Just like you refer to 'we' when you say 'we do not agree with that bill' or 'we will not stand for that'. You are a part of a group, thus the use of the term 'we'. I respect your opinion but please add more to the conversation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dean View Post
    By 'we' I refer to those who agree with me (I am not alone in this - just listen to any number of podcasts from other true fans). Just like you refer to 'we' when you say 'we do not agree with that bill' or 'we will not stand for that'. You are a part of a group, thus the use of the term 'we'. I respect your opinion but please add more to the conversation.
    If you respected other's opinions, you wouldn't use "true fans" to describe the personal, subjective opinions of yourself and others who happen to share your opinion. Every fan who likes the new direction is every bit as "true" a fan as yourself and every bit as knowledgeable about Spider-Man.

I'm sure you're not alone in your opinion. I am certainly not alone in mine. But if I'm expressing my opinion, I don't need to speak for more than just myself.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dean View Post
    …(I am not alone in this - just listen to any number of podcasts from other true fans).
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If you respected other's opinions, you wouldn't use "true fans" to describe the personal, subjective opinions of yourself and others who happen to share your opinion. Every fan who likes the new direction is every bit as "true" a fan as yourself and every bit as knowledgeable about Spider-Man.
    What he said. We pretty much take a dim view of arrogating "true fans" to be a set subgroup as if it were objective and definitive.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

I'm sure you're not alone in your opinion. I am certainly not alone in mine. But if I'm expressing my opinion, I don't need to speak for more than just myself.
    You are absolutely right in that. I chose poorly when I phrased it that way. I retract the term 'true fans' as an umbrella term. I concede that we are all true fans here otherwise we would not be on this board (and by 'we' I mean everyone on this forum in case the 'Spear of Bashenga' is irked). Thanks for the correction Warren.

BANNED

I think you are going overboard by saying Slott on vol 4 killed Spider-Man...because let's be real Quesada on OMD killed Spider-Man long ago. This is more desecration of the...well not the corpse because we had OMIT, Shed, Superior, really 99% of everything after OMD for that. I guess this is vandalizing the gravestone I suppose.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    I think you are going overboard by saying Slott on vol 4 killed Spider-Man...because let's be real Quesada on OMD killed Spider-Man long ago. This is more desecration of the...well not the corpse because we had OMIT, Shed, Superior, really 99% of everything after OMD for that. I guess this is vandalizing the gravestone I suppose.
    I think your overthinking this and missing the point.

Incredible Member

Was having a conversation with my local comic book store owner when I was collecting Spidey 4 and we were talking about Spiderman and he did say he felt he had read these recent stories years before in old Ironman comics. Now
    Iv not read them so I can't comment on those but that's a probably a more serious charge that Dan is simply going through his old comic collection and going "hmm that would be a great idea for a Spiderman story" because that is lazy writing 101, though I guess it wouldn't be as bad as JJ having a great idea for a new Starwars film after watching A New Hope.

My own issue with Dan is not so much Peter Parker (at least he is trying to do something different)but Felicia Hardy. As comic book guy would say Worst heel turn ever ! That's the character he really ruined.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    ...that's a probably a more serious charge that Dan is simply going through his old comic collection and going "hmm that would be a great idea for a Spiderman story" because that is lazy writing 101...
    Oh ffs.
    This is the internet.
    If anything about that insulting accusation were true, don't you think by now there'd be a zillion posts about those ripped off comics and side-by-side scans.
    Can you please just go back to being the offended/wounded poster about how I've ruined your life with how I've written the Black Cat?

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

You gotta admit.

Black Cat hasn't really had much going for her for years and because of Dan Slott people are actually talking about and wanting to see Black Cat.

The current path for her is far more interesting than her old status quo of being Spider-Man's on again off again lover when he wasn't with someone else.

That and it's about time her costume got updated.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 12-24-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Oh ffs.
    This is the internet.
    If anything about that insulting accusation were true, don't you think by now there'd be a zillion posts about those ripped off comics and side-by-side scans.
    Can you please just go back to being the offended/wounded poster about how I've ruined your life with how I've written the Black Cat?
    Lol I don't need to go back, I still was.
    In terms of the actual Spiderman comic itself and regardless whether Peter is Peter or Tony, I think it's enjoyable with some fun dialogue. Although that Goblin guy who had purple camaflauge made me chuckle.

But seriously that was just a general chat (your name didn't even come up, it was just Spiderman in general) and that he said he had read it previously in Ironman 10 years or so ago regards the Bodyguard storyline.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    You gotta admit.

Black Cat hasn't really had much going for her for years and because of Dan Slott people are actually talking about and wanting to see Black Cat.

The current path for her is far more interesting than Herold status quo of being Spider-Man's on again off again lover when he wasn't with someone else.

THANK YOU

Also, mother****ers got a problem with SHED now? Great googly moogly, I don't understand this world.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Mighty Member

You gotta admit.

The current path for her is far more interesting than Herold status quo of being Spider-Man's on again off again lover when he wasn't with someone else That and it's about time her costume got updated .
    While I get that not everyone don't like Black Cat new status quo I take this over that any day. As far as I am concerned been there done that time to move on.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 12-24-2015 at 08:06 AM.

You gotta admit.

The current path for her is far more interesting than Herold status quo of being Spider-Man's on again off again lover when he wasn't with someone else.

Is that really accurate? It doesn't seem like people are genuinely interested in this new direction and want to see more of Felicia, it's more that people just seem interested in it because they already cared about the character and want to see it ended and resolved because they dislike it and think it's bad for her.

Most of the discussion I've seen about it here is people just reiterating why this doesn't work and is bad for the character, and that they don't want to see more of Felicia acting like this.

You gotta admit.

Untrue. This can be said for superior but nobody has been clamoring for a black cat story.

Incredible Member

"Most of the discussion I've seen about it..."
    This gets to the echo chamber aspect of the internet.
    And I know it's silly to post this ON a message board, but...
    After doing this for about 25 years, I can safely tell you that outrage/concerns on the internet ≠ actual outrage/concerns of the broader spectrum of fandom.
    The outrage/concerns of the internet = the outrage/concerns of a section of the hardcore.

Time and time again you'll see a movie or TV show with INTENSE support online that does NOT turn into great ratings.
    Or a view that something is the "worst"-- like Bendis' run on AVENGERS, yet is overwhelmingly supported by the greater whole of fandom-- who propelled it to an industry leader by leaps and bounds. Seriously, if you could go back to 10 years ago, you would see message boards crying for Bendis' head-- how his Avengers weren't the real Avengers, and how Marvel should fire him immediately and replace him with Kurt Busiek, Geoff Johns, Roy Thomas, or pick-a-name-out-of-a-hat.

There is what people say online, how people would like to interpret/presume how all "true fans" are feeling, and then-- there's how the actual comic buying public responds when they go to the shops-- and, more importantly, the register.