Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I don't remember that (refresh my memory!), but if they have anything in that range (and given the crap they go up against and beat in-game, it's not out of the question for their presentation) then Cass isn't really hurting Tifa.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Given how Final Fantasy XIII (-2, -3) was loaded with cutscene feats, I suspect we'll get some interesting stuff with the Final Fantasy VII remake.
    XIII isn't that great for cutscene feats, really.

In the first everyone has some vague feats, but the only one who shows anything of what they're implied to be able to do is Snow creating a giant ice construct. Otherwise the feats kind of stop cold as they become l'cie, aside from some acrobatics when they randomly crash that motorcycle race. (Well, okay, there's the...whatever Ragnarok does at the end to become the crystal pillar, but I'm not sure how you would interpret that in a Rumbles.)

XIII-2 has very little feats for anyone except Caius and Lightning, who have their giant fight at the beginning of the game. And since they're noted to be far above the rest of the cast, you can't even get a sense of scale of what the others can do from that.

Then Lightning Returns' cutscene feats, aside from generic swordfighting, consist entirely of Noel blasting a few bog-standard humans and Lightning's fight with God.

I mean granted, that last one has enough to put the two of them hilariously above everything else in Final Fantasy, but still.

Edit: Right, Lightning and Snow have a fight at the start of the game, but given that the most impressive thing either of them do in it is either Lightning blitzing a few monsters or Snow casually freezing one solid, they still don't really show what they're implied to be able to do.
    Last edited by Siriel; 12-21-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    I mean granted, that last one has enough to put the two of them hilariously above everything else in Final Fantasy, but still.
    How so? what happened during the fight?
    Last edited by Cody; 12-21-2015 at 03:53 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    How so? hat happened during the fight?
    I'm not sure if hats were involved at all actually.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

I dunno, a lot of FFs have them throwing down with some one claiming to be/have the power of God.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I'm not sure if hats were involved at all actually.
    Fixed. Thanks.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

XIII isn't that great for cutscene feats, really.
    Point. Though it's worth mentioning that Quick Time Events also count, and I know there's those in FF XIII-2. Not sure how many.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    How so? what happened during the fight?
    Multiple planets (most likely solar systems, but let's lowball it) destroyed as minor side-effects of an attack that Lightning blocks* is the most easily quantifiable.

*: While presentation makes it clear that she would eventually have gone down to the sustained assault, she held on for a decent while under her own power, while planets basically immediately crumbled when the energy wave reached them.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I dunno, a lot of FFs have them throwing down with some one claiming to be/have the power of God.
    Yes, but those guys don't have the feats to back it up.

Bhunivelze, while specifically not a god in the omnipotent sense, does stuff like create a world with new laws to replace the old one where time had gotten wrecked (with the ending all but saying that it's intended to be our universe).

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Point. Though it's worth mentioning that Quick Time Events also count, and I know there's those in FF XIII-2. Not sure how many.
    A fair amount but most of them involve stabbing the boss with your weapons, and while that's a valid fighting technique it doesn't tell us much about the scale of power involved.
    Last edited by Siriel; 12-21-2015 at 07:38 PM.

Oh yeah just to clarify before someone thinks that I'm implying that the XIII cast operates on that scale, Lightning is canonically nowhere near that powerful outside of the version of her that fights Bhunivelze. (Though since that's the last version of her we see I guess it would be Rumbles' default.)
    Last edited by Siriel; 12-21-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Bhunivelze, while specifically not a god in the omnipotent sense, does stuff like create a world with new laws to replace the old one where time had gotten wrecked (with the ending all but saying that it's intended to be our universe).
    spoilers:
    She's in France, as I recall from the video I've seen, and there's a Japanese audio story that comes after that has a reporter travelling around the world, interviewing everyone (Hope, Snow, Sera, etc). In places like Australia, modern times. So definitely our world.
    end of spoilers

A fair amount but most of them involve stabbing the boss with your weapons, and while that's a valid fighting technique it doesn't tell us much about the scale of power involved.
    Point. I gave up on XIII-2, sadly, so I can't say. I just remember the beginning QTE in the first fight against Caius, where Lightning uses magic to basically slam him through umpteen tons of metal, then to bury him in the tons of metal (yes, I chose 'magic' when I tried it).
    Why are we here?

Yeah, I noted earlier that the Lightning and Caius fight has some pretty good feats, but sadly it's pretty much the only one and it's noted that Caius and Lightning are miles ahead of the others in power so we can't use it to say "Well the others can probably do X.".
    Last edited by Siriel; 12-22-2015 at 05:45 AM.

Yeah, I noted earlier that the Lightning and Caius fight has some pretty good feats, but sadly it's pretty much the only one and it's noted that Caius and Lightning are miles ahead of the others in power so we can't use it to say "Well the others can probably do X.".
    Truth.

I figured that because THAT QTE had some good stuff, maybe the others did. But, no. :(
    Why are we here?

Unfortunately, as the box art can attest, Lightning vs Caius was pretty much the big flashy trailer fight to get people to buy the game.

(It's still hilarious that they put someone who has maybe twenty minutes of screentime on the box.)

To be fair I don't have all the QTEs memorized, it's possible that I missed something. But the game is way too long for me to go look.

No worries. Certainly wouldn't expect that!
    Why are we here?

And it's really nothing too different from what we see in the fight between a rusty Cloud and Sephiroth in AC, Or from what we see between Chaos Vincent and Omega from Dirge of Cerberus.

Between what we see in those cutscenes, and from the performances displayed in Dissidia(which is canon I think), I have no problem seeing the characters from the FF series who aren't the main protagonists, yet still part of the group, as being around Ringer level at the very, very minimum.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral