Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I like the more serious characters such as Cyclops, Emma Frost, etc. I like things generally the way they are at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Let's put it this way.

How many people remember the Brave and the Bold series where Plastic Man fell in love with a rich but evil woman and was completely miserable as a result?

Or How about Post Crisis stories where Plastic Man considered himself no longer human and tried to commit suicide and Woozy Winks was actually a mental patient?

Serious has been tried before with Plastic Man. It doesn't tend to work that well. At BEST, he works as more of a Leslie Nielsen character instead of a JIm Carrey, but even then he's still humorous.
    Oh lord, that sounds ghastly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge Antilles View Post
    I like the more serious characters such as Cyclops, Emma Frost, etc. I like things generally the way they are at the moment.
    I see what you did there.

BANNED

I'm up for serious or silliness, just make it entertaining. I've been buying picture-books about absurdly proportioned beings dressing in colorful costumes and beating the snot out of each other for over 20 years now, I'm down for just about anything.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    It would be like turning Deadpool into a serious character. Which they tried in the Ultimate Universe, which failed miserably.
    I'd argue that Ultimate Hawkeye was a terrible take on the character for the exact same reason. Hawkeye works best when he's a jackass who cracks wise and outwits people.

Unfortunately, Marvel's movies seem to follow the Ultimate take.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I'd argue that Ultimate Hawkeye was a terrible take on the character for the exact same reason. Hawkeye works best when he's a jackass who cracks wise and outwits people.

Unfortunately, Marvel's movies seem to follow the Ultimate take.
    Then again considering how terrible his characterization is in his own book at the moment, lesser of two evils, I guess?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Then again considering how terrible his characterization is in his own book at the moment, lesser of two evils, I guess?
    I like his charactization in his own book at the moment. It feels like vintage Hawkeye to me. He's always had a jackass streak, and the current series plays that out. Unless that's changed in the issue or two I'm behind.

It sure beats the past decade before the current series. (With the exception of the McCann series.)

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I haven't read his current stuff, but Clint being a well-meaning butthead is an established, and my favorite, part of his character.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I like his charactization in his own book at the moment. It feels like vintage Hawkeye to me. He's always had a jackass streak, and the current series plays that out. Unless that's changed in the issue or two I'm behind.

It sure beats the past decade before the current series. (With the exception of the McCann series.)
    Is he being a jackass or is he played so dumb, incompetent and clueless that it makes him look like a jackass?

Most of the time when I read that book it feels like he can barely put on his pants much less string a bow.

Probably the minority thinking it but it bothers me every time I flip through an issue.

For reference Busiek era Avengers and Thunderbolts is probably my favorite incarnation of the character.
    Last edited by Jeremi; 06-16-2014 at 11:09 PM.

I can't think of any that if turned serious, would not take away personality and appeal.

BANNED

A serious approach for the Jean Grey School would be interesting, right now they seem like an overused joke.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tonamelt View Post
    A serious approach for the Jean Grey School would be interesting, right now they seem like an overused joke.
    Bo-ring!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonamelt View Post
    I feel that book is annoyingly serious as it is.

And obviously Squirrel Girl has to be more serious.

Joking, no one character gets better just because they're "serious".

BANNED

Static, icon, shadow cabinet, xombi, monica rambeau/spectrum, blue marvel, vibe, jimmy woo(& agents of atlas), shang chi.

BANNED

Does it count that the Avengers right now are kind of a joke?