Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Don't see why they would do this since they're already a bit f*cked creatively as far as comics go, putting more out seems like a poor idea.
    If this is about market share that's a battle they can't win. Star Wars alone is bigger than either Marvel or DC nowadays (i'm not a star wars fan, just calling it as i see it), and as it is they're competing against both Marvel's usual books plus all the star wars stuff.
    But here's hoping there's no drop in quality.

BANNED

The other difference with weeklies is the weeklies generally tell one story from beginning to end, while the bi-weekly books would still be 4-6 issue arcs. So that's much easier to coordinate, I would think. As long as you know about any major changes set to occur (if any) at the end of each arc and account for it in the next one.

I'm mildly curious how you start doing this, though. I would imagine the writer has to work ahead further than previously planned, which could take a while, or they have to have a guest writer do an arc while the regular writer gets ahead. Something like that. In other words, this doesn't seem like something you could do with less than 4-5 months notice.

With delays... does this mean more comics will be arriving monthly now?

The only way I see it working long term for DC is if they shrink the comics to 16 pages.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Seems like a desparate attempt to claw back some market share from Marvel. Cant say i blame them, but i see myself dropping what DC books remain on my pull if this is the case.
    I'm not exactly sure about that. To me Marvel has artificially been inflating their market share with a glut of #1 issues including several reboots of titles after a few issues. If you look at the sales of Marvel books by the time they get to their 5th issue, it seems as though their sales are no better than DC's or any better than they way during the previous volume. Now, if DC is still selling the same number (or thereabouts) of books that they always have, then the market share they dropped really doesn't mean a lot to their bottom line, it just reflects the additional percentage share that Marvel is taking due to the success of the Star Wars books and the multiple reboots and #1s they are constantly pumping out. Let's be clear, most companies are focused on their month to month comparisons. The only way Marvel will be able to sustain these numbers month after month is to continue to cancel their books every year and restart them with a new #1 issue. There is no way Marvel will retain those sales figures without the bump that the new #1s generate. I'd be surprised to see a Marvel comic with an issue number higher than 25 anytime in the near future unless they are reverting back to an old numbering system to take advantage of an "issue 500" or "issue 600" scenario. I doubt this is healthy for the industry in the long run as it seems people are spending money on these reboots and "#1 collector's items" instead of books that may actually be good and worth reading.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    The other difference with weeklies is the weeklies generally tell one story from beginning to end, while the bi-weekly books would still be 4-6 issue arcs. So that's much easier to coordinate, I would think. As long as you know about any major changes set to occur (if any) at the end of each arc and account for it in the next one.

I'm mildly curious how you start doing this, though. I would imagine the writer has to work ahead further than previously planned, which could take a while, or they have to have a guest writer do an arc while the regular writer gets ahead. Something like that. In other words, this doesn't seem like something you could do with less than 4-5 months notice.
    Well what writers are you talking about?

I mean if we take Cyborg as one of them-how is that going to work with David Walker-who has Powerman & Ironfist at Marvel, Darius Walker book 2 (his own stuff), The Shaft novels and another project that he is doing that I can't remember.

If we are talking 24 issues-you would need a year and that can't be done with guys like Cyborg who are linked to other books.

BANNED

I suggested a while back that they do that.

You're welcome for the idea, DC.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

So I am betting we will see Batman and Justice League move to bi-weekly.

What other titles does DC have that are worth it to double ship?

I am betting we will see Flash and Green Lantern get new creators and they will go on a double schedule.

Maybe they will consolidate the Superman line a little and double ship one of the titles.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Seems like a desparate attempt to claw back some market share from Marvel. Cant say i blame them, but i see myself dropping what DC books remain on my pull if this is the case.

I don't think it's that. Depending on who it is-it might be about getting more stories with said character out there.

Lets say Cyborg was one of the book. TO me it's saying we need more solo stuff with him before his movie comes out. Right now they really don't have solo or stories where he takes the lead to fill up enough trades.

And do what Marvel is doing with Black Panther and even Supergirl now-putting out as much trades about them as they can to get more fans. While it won't help the comics, it could help the movie/tv series.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    So I am betting we will see Batman and Justice League move to bi-weekly.

What other titles does DC have that are worth it to double ship?
    Harley?

The Gotham Academy girls?

Aquaman & WW probably as movie time arrives.

Astonishing Member

Suicide Squad was mentioned, with the film, and that makes sense -- have a collected edition on the shelves to coincide.

It would make a lot of creative sense, to me, to double ship a Legion of Super-Heroes title, though not much fiscal sense. That many characters, and the size of that world, beg for an expanded delivery stream. Give that to Tom King and Tim Seeley - two dudes no strangers to scifi and working together - and give them 3 dedicated artists, and have them revitalize that B.

Strikes me that if they had managed to wrangle something from John Hickman, say a JLA run, this would be a good avenue to make that happen -- his work reads better in chunks, and at a high velocity (the sad failure of Secret Wars).

It's worth noting that this is essentially the model that all the DC Digital first series work on -- 10 (functional) pages per week (20 have page 'screens), so 40 pages a month. They've managed it nicely.

Spectacular Member

I love it!!!! Make mine DC!!!! Hopefully some good creative teams will be on these books.

I honestly can't see many DC books NOT losing tons of readers if they become bi-weekly. Probably only Batman and Justice League could maintain their sales. Grayson and Batgirl are good sellers but making them double ship could actually sink those titles or maybe other spin-offs like Gotham Academy.
    If DC double ships en masse I fully expect even more cancelled titles than usual. We will be left with not much more than Batman books, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Justice League and maybe Titans.

BANNED

Probably Batman and Justice League.

I'm not expecting much, tbh, these printed bi-weekly or weeklies always end up suffering in pacing or art.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    I don't think I understand the difference -- why would Batman and JL be okay going bi weekly and not those others?
    Because Batman and Justice League are their top selling books. They can reasonably believe they can get high returns (in terms of sales and orders and profits) if they expanded the production to a bi-weekly model. Grayson and Batgirl are not top sellers and the expected returns would be much lower.

In other words if they are expected to invest additional money and resources to expand production, they wouldn't be investing in the ones with lukewarm returns, but go for the ones expected to make them the most money.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 12-21-2015 at 03:31 PM.

This is just an attempt to get the market share back
    I mean its cheaper than making multiple titles to bridge the gap between DC and Marvel but instead they'll denote their top titles like a Batman or a Harley Quinn and push for bi weekly schedules
    Maybe it will work but it will cause some other titles to be cancelled