Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It's knowing there's only 2 more of that coming that's upsetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Man, I'm blindsided, confused... but oddly, not too worried. Mike and Co. have consistently made these books great, and even if it feels like a cheat to promise an indefinite amount of something only to cut that order pretty short - well, damn, these issues of Hellboy in Hell have been the best work Mike's ever done! How can I be mad at such quality?
    Totally agreed.

And I totally think mr Mike should go painting with publishing the first of the last two Hellboy In Hell issues in 2016,

but with reserving the publication of the very last one until all the current BPRD and/or Abe plus the painting book is finished in 2017.

If HB & The BPRD plus Witchfinder AO can continue then great, but I'd like the last Hellboy in Hell and all else to culminate as one finite thing.

With the painting book seeming extra special that way. Yep, that's what I would do. Happy Newyear, all.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I wish I could say more, but I can't. Arcudi didn't leave suddenly it was something that Mike and Co knew for some time. The sudden warp ups and ends are more to do with story structural planning. You know, sometimes some pieces fit better now then what was planned.

We knew about Arcudi, and why that choice was made, when it was made.

This though, this was a blindside. Unexpected, to say the least.

I saw Christine commented on Facebook that the plan will be to collect Hellboy in Hell #1 - 10 into a library edition like the others. So that would be pretty great.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    I saw Christine commented on Facebook that the plan will be to collect Hellboy in Hell #1 - 10 into a library edition like the others. So that would be pretty great.
    *bounces up and down in joy*

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    Yeah, that's coming, but it's a long way off. 2017 at the absolute earliest.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I kind of had a feeling that this might happen, after the way Pluto ended I just couldn't figure out how it could go on indefinitely as Mike had claimed before there series began. There was just a tremendous amount of finality surrounding the second part of that story that the ending felt like it had to be soon and now it turns out that was true. It'll be sad I'm sure but fun.

All-New Member

I am honestly not worried. Mignola, Arcudi and Allie have been so good at maintaining this grand narrative and it's clear Mignola and Allie plan to continue to do so with an as yet to be mentioned new BPRD writer. I love Mike's art, it's the best of the best, but if another artist is brought on to draw Hellboy's post hell adventures I'm fine with that. Fegredo killed it and I know whoever takes over will kill it as well. These guys love these stories and that's clear. We're just in one of those big transitions to something new like when we moved to Hell on Earth and Hellboy in Hell. Now my big hope is that we don't loose post Hell Hellboy stories while Mike is painting. He seems to important to leave hanging for a couple years.

My random question: Arcudi still plans to write some Mignolaverse stuff after his BPRD run wraps, right? I thought he was still writing Lobster Johnson and maybe some other stuff here and there.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstar View Post
    My random question: Arcudi still plans to write some Mignolaverse stuff after his BPRD run wraps, right? I thought he was still writing Lobster Johnson and maybe some other stuff here and there.
    In the letter columns there has been mention of Arcudi doing a few other projects. I think it was said that he had an upcoming book about a "water creature", although I could very well be remembering wrong. And I'm fairly certain he will continue with Lobster Johnson.
    As long as he keeps writing Lobster Johnson, I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    In the letter columns there has been mention of Arcudi doing a few other projects. I think it was said that he had an upcoming book about a "water creature", although I could very well be remembering wrong. And I'm fairly certain he will continue with Lobster Johnson.
    As long as he keeps writing Lobster Johnson, I'll be happy.
    You're remembering correctly.
    I love Mike's art, it's the best of the best, but if another artist is brought on to draw Hellboy's post hell adventures I'm fine with that.
    Just to clarify, while Mike Mignola is taking a year off to paint, he's going to spend a lot of that painting the Hellboy Universe. You can hear him talk a bit about it at the end of this podcast. He talks about it as a more explorative form of storytelling.

I am honestly not worried. Mignola, Arcudi and Allie have been so good at maintaining this grand narrative and it's clear Mignola and Allie plan to continue to do so with an as yet to be mentioned new BPRD writer. I love Mike's art, it's the best of the best, but if another artist is brought on to draw Hellboy's post hell adventures I'm fine with that. Fegredo killed it and I know whoever takes over will kill it as well. These guys love these stories and that's clear. We're just in one of those big transitions to something new like when we moved to Hell on Earth and Hellboy in Hell. Now my big hope is that we don't loose post Hell Hellboy stories while Mike is painting. He seems to important to leave hanging for a couple years.
    The announcement apparently isn't stating that another artist is brought in, but that Hellboy In Hell will fully conclude and cease, prior to the paintings getting done as of 2016 into 2017 once Hellboy is fully finished as a series or comic. If I'm hearing or reading all this correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Just to clarify, while Mike Mignola is taking a year off to paint, he's going to spend a lot of that painting the Hellboy Universe. You can hear him talk a bit about it at the end of this podcast. He talks about it as a more explorative form of storytelling.
    Which sounds awesome I have to say. If not for the Hellboy finishing entirely as a comic, apparently prior to any other titles such as the flashback Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. as well as current B.P.R.D. and Witchfinder.

And which doesn't necessarily have to mean that no mention or appearance of Hellboy might be happening in the current B.P.R.D. and/or Abe or such series, potentially even as getting all drawn (and written) by mr Mike, as how for example happened in the B.P.R.D.: King of Fear, but still it would be the case that after Hellboy In Hell #10 the Hellboy comic as written both as drawn by mr Mike will be fully concluded - apart from the In Hell scenic paintings - if I'm understanding this announcement correctly.

Which sounds sudden if not weirdly final to me, since to the current B.P.R.D. and related titles the ending seems hardly as imminent, or at least the title of Hellboy as falling away from it all seems rather far in advance or at least abrupt. But well, we'll see I guess.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-05-2016 at 04:59 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    We knew about Arcudi, and why that choice was made, when it was made.

This though, this was a blindside. Unexpected, to say the least.
    I've been meaning to ask you guys about this. I've been away from the thread for awhile and haven't seen any thing about this surprisingly.

Also is it safe for me to read the Mignolaverse interview? I've been busy so I haven't read HiH, BPRD HoE or any new Abe TPBs. (I've been patiently waiting to read the whole HoE storyline in the HC Omnibuses when they get released.

I wouldn't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by adamhasser View Post
    I've been meaning to ask you guys about this. I've been away from the thread for awhile and haven't seen any thing about this surprisingly.

Also is it safe for me to read the Mignolaverse interview? I've been busy so I haven't read HiH, BPRD HoE or any new Abe TPBs. (I've been patiently waiting to read the whole HoE storyline in the HC Omnibuses when they get released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I wouldn't read it.
    I agree. It's really focused on everything that unfolded in 2015. There would be lots of spoilers, and you'll lack context for many of the topics we discuss.