Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Well, it's not terrible but it's not great. Really wish Gleason had been on art though.

I think the high number of kids in this event takes away from this being a cleaner crossover. Will have to wait to see how things play out in the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    I think the high number of kids in this event takes away from this being a cleaner crossover. Will have to wait to see how things play out in the finale.
    Actually, I'm thinking that this event is cutting away the extra kids, so that future issues of WAR focuses on the core group.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Actually, I'm thinking that this event is cutting away the extra kids, so that future issues of WAR focuses on the core group.
    Unnecessary since WAR already focuses on the core group.

In the previous issues, the core group with Duke, Riko, etc, were just one of many operating within Gotham. Having the "official" Robins choose to take a select few and send the others home solidifies that group as the only group in town.

In the previous issues, the core group with Duke, Riko, etc, were just one of many operating within Gotham. Having the "official" Robins choose to take a select few and send the others home solidifies that group as the only group in town.
    It's possible that's what they are trying to establish for WAR moving forward, but it's a confusing overall narrative. It seems they are trying to push forward the fact that these kids aren't giving up irrespective of this being really dangerous, despite what seems like all the randoms going home after being told this is really dangerous and it could probably kill you, because you have them claim they want to fight and Jason promising they'll all get training after this is over but to sit this one out to the randoms while the core tags along with Tim and Jason.
    (and no one notices Damian isn't there until they're across town? I mean he did just save them, no one wanted to shake his hand for stopping the Talons or yell at him for almost blowing them all up?)...
    Opposing the rather logical position of walking death engines with healing factors might be too much for rookies, you have the the core group of Duke, et al. but how are they any better equipped to handle the Talons than the other random kids of basically the same skill level?
    So acknowledging this is too much for the untrained, but still bringing along the untrained which is... strange? Kind of trying to have your cake and eat it too narrative wise, or at least it feels a little bit like that to me.
    Unless Damian as "The Gray Son" craves one of the core kids into bloody pieces to scare off the randoms and galvanize the few?

I think it's more of a case of that core group being the ones handpicked by the Robins during their training sessions. It seems to me that the original plan that Dick discussed with the others was to select a few to train, and then lock up the others. What Damian, Tim, and Jason didn't expect was for them and their "pupils" to get thrown in jail as well. Perhaps these handpicked group was the ones that were determined to be most capable and least likely to give up.

Huh. I do think it would have been more powerful if March was replaced by Cobb. Not sure if it would work logistically, but "who-cares-its-comics!"

Interested to see the finale. King is in charge, so I doubt we'll see Grayson get nerfed, but I'm sure that Damian will have a good showing as well. I'm ready to see Damians reasoning, and I'm pretty sure this is going to end up bringing Damian and Dick closer together. Can they PLEASE have a team up title?

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Huh. I do think it would have been more powerful if March was replaced by Cobb. Not sure if it would work logistically, but "who-cares-its-comics!"

Interested to see the finale. King is in charge, so I doubt we'll see Grayson get nerfed, but I'm sure that Damian will have a good showing as well. I'm ready to see Damians reasoning, and I'm pretty sure this is going to end up bringing Damian and Dick closer together. Can they PLEASE have a team up title?
    I'm guessing they used March because they wanted to put a face to the Court, and he's more familiar among readers than Cobb. And I'm guessing that Snyder doesn't have plans for him anytime soon, so he was "free for the taking".

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

But we never saw other groups beyond the poor brawl scene in the downtown, so why should we care now?

This whole event is already circling the drain
    It really should have been about the We are Robin gang gaining the acceptance of everyone but that has become seriously muddled with the court of owls being stuffed into the story
    Alfred has been a non factor when in reality he should be a big part in this crossover since he's supplying the Robin gangs

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    This whole event is already circling the drain
    It really should have been about the We are Robin gang gaining the acceptance of everyone but that has become seriously muddled with the court of owls being stuffed into the story
    Alfred has been a non factor when in reality he should be a big part in this crossover since he's supplying the Robin gangs
    I admit it's hard not to be pessimistic, especially when they've got only one issue to wrap this whole thing up and none of the really interesting stuff ever got addressed or even set up for resolution and the majority of that last issue is probably people punching each other.

mm. Nope. It wasn't about what you expected it to be. That hardly means its circling the drain. It was widely known that the Court was going to be fairly central as soon as the covers and solicits for the issues came out.

How hard can it be to match up your Batman story with last year's arguably biggest Batman event? Even if you as a writer (they're of course not necessarily fans and don't read everything) are somehow oblivious to it, why the hell didn't an editor step in and say something? I'm generally not a big proponent of slavish devotion to continuity, but stuff like this (Lincoln March suddenly being in charge of the CoO after HAVING BEEN MARKED AS A TRAITOR AND STUFFED IN A COFFIN BY THEM in his last appearance) really negates it's usefulness altogether.

...and other than that, this was another nail in the proverbial coffin of the Court as competent and effective villains. And a very mediocre story built on tired tropes. Dropped.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    How hard can it be to match up your Batman story with last year's arguably biggest Batman event? Even if you as a writer (they're of course not necessarily fans and don't read everything) are somehow oblivious to it, why the hell didn't an editor step in and say something? I'm generally not a big proponent of slavish devotion to continuity, but stuff like this (Lincoln March suddenly being in charge of the CoO after HAVING BEEN MARKED AS A TRAITOR AND STUFFED IN A COFFIN BY THEM in his last appearance) really negates it's usefulness altogether.

...and other than that, this was another nail in the proverbial coffin of the Court as competent and effective villains. And a very mediocre story built on tired tropes. Dropped.
    It has one issue to go. Don't give up, man!!!