Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Why is Dr Doom in AXIS?

Victor von Doom is a gypsy. He is always banging on about his gypsy heritage and how proud he is of it.

During the Second World War over 250,000 were murdered in the Nazi concentration camps. As an ethnic group, they were second only to the Jews for their level of slaughter.

During the seventies, when I first started reading Marvel comics as a young boy, Dr Doom regularly fought against the Red Skull. He may have been a super villain, but the thought of a Nazi made his blood boil. He even teamed up with Captain America to take down the Skull.

And on two occasions the Red Skull invaded Latveria to impose Nazi rule, only to get his crimson butt kicked by the good Doctor.

So what the hell is Doom teaming up with the Red Skull for in AXIS? I hope that the writers had a plausible explanation. I'm kind of tired of people forgetting that other ethnic groups aside from the Jews were slaughtered during the Second World War. Magneto shouldn't have the monopoly of hated for Nazi's. As a gypsy, and a man of supposed honour, Doom should be fighting against, and not with, the Red Skull.

I do not know what Axis is. I am guessing from the first post a new Cabal is forming with the Skull, Doom and others? Who else do we know about?

Extraordinary Member

Can't Doom always do the "I seem to be working with him but I am actually trying to do my own thing and destroy him and defeat that FOOL Richards at the same time" thing? Villains can hate each other and still team up, intending to double-cross each other.

BANNED

We don't know yet, but there are a few options.

1. The Red Skull has Xavier's brain and cold be controlling Doom.
    2. Doom could be using this partnership to his own ends.
    3. Outside forces have caused Doom to do this.
    4. A mixture of all three.

As of now, we have no idea because the story isn't even out yet.

Doom is like Magneto. He's not inherently evil, but he's capable of committing atrocities to further his ends.

Perhaps there is an endgame here that serves his goals? What does he care if the world outside Latveria falls to the Skull if he gains something he desires?

Maybe Skull promised him Lang's head on a platter? Hahaha.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Can't Doom always do the "I seem to be working with him but I am actually trying to do my own thing and destroy him and defeat that FOOL Richards at the same time" thing? Villains can hate each other and still team up, intending to double-cross each other.
    From what I understand this seems the most likely scenario. The same goes for currently Chaotic Neutral Loki, who's greatest horror is being evil (I'm not even joking).

And then there's this.
    Last edited by Post Monster; 06-14-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Doom's a bad guy. case closed.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

After reading todays Brevroort interview, I think we can assume Dr Doom will lead his own group as a response of what Red Skull is up to.

"Nrama: Very little has been released about Axis just yet, but some have compared it to “Acts of Vengeance” being that it’s a super-group of super villains ganging up on heroes. What would you say to that comparison?

Brevoort: It’s a logical comparison because it’s a big event story in which a lot of big, top notch villains getting together. We’ve had stories in the recent past with two or three teaming up, but not everybody; you have to go back to “Acts of Vengeance” to see a grouping this large. But that said, this isn’t “Acts of Vengeance;” they’re not going to pick on heroes one-by-one or trade opponents as they did in the past. The other villains will be coming into Axis over the course of the story, each in their own way. Those villains you saw in the image – The Red Skull, Doctor Doom, Sabretooth, Loki, Carnage – they’re all guys who play at a certain level, and all are of a status that you could build events around each of them individually as antagonists."

http://www.newsarama.com/21351-uncan...september.html
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Amazing Member

I wasn't bashing Rick Remender. I'm a fan of his worth, both on Uncanny X-Men and Uncanny Avengers.

However, I get frustrated with the inconsistencies that are often shown in the portrayal of Dr Doom. He's my favourite Marvel character; he has a cool look, a cool origin, and a cool way of doing things. But the way that different writers approach the character have made him almost as inconsistent as Wolverine. Back when Claremont was writing Uncanny I loved Wolverine, now I can't stand him. I worry at times that the different directions various creative teams take to Doom could ruin another great Marvel character.

Plus I sometimes get frustrated the way at time the media only remembers what the Nazi's did to the Jews, and ignore what they did to other ethnic groups. We must NEVER forget what happened to the Jewish people during the 2nd World war, but also NEVER forget what happened to other groups. Marvel are at time quite bad at this; when Magneto ever crosses paths with the Red Skull, the writers always remember that he is Jewish, and will have no tolerance for Nazis. They only seem to remember around 50% of the time that as a Gypsy Doom would feel the same way.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Doom's a bad guy. case closed.
    Sorry. That's bull. He's a Gypsy. He'd have as much time for the Red Skull as Magneto does.

Go back and read Super Villain Team Up or Astonishing Tales. When Doom had his own strip, the Red Skull was his most frequent nemesis. It was firmly established back then that he hates Nazis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHarry View Post
    I wasn't bashing Rick Remender. I'm a fan of his worth, both on Uncanny X-Men and Uncanny Avengers.
    Aha I didn't mean you.
    I was referring to those who used this thread as an opportunity to bash Remender as opposed to giving you some sort of answer.

Apparently he's going around trying to be a good guy and fighting Loki.
    http://www.comicvine.com/articles/in...d/1100-148988/

image.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Yeah, Val is making him into more of an anti hero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Doom is like Magneto. He's not inherently evil, but he's capable of committing atrocities to further his ends.
    I would say that they both are inherently evil, but have such huge egos that they simply can't bear not to be seen as good guys, so they occasionally do stuff that gets them good PR.

Also, Magneto has a sentimental side he can't help but indulge, wich is an odd character quirk for a genocidal maniac.

I'm curious how much time Doom is devoting to figuring out Mapmaker technology that he captured when there was an Incursion in Latveria. Perhaps he has also figured out the Multiverse is dying.

At some point I think the Illuminati need to include both Doom and Valeria for an all-hands-on-deck brainstorming session to come up with different ideas. Because their current ideas just aren't that good.