Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guest_1001 View Post
    That's what I thought too. Plus, Kenta's a more distinctive name and if they had to give him a surname, why not keep Kenta as his first name?
    they can't own Kenta.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    they can't own Kenta.
    Boooooo! Go home! Go home with your logical and analytical business-like mind!

I figured that but still seems like a giant waste. They marketed Kurt Angle just fine. KENTA is the name of a BAMF.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Boooooo! Go home! Go home with your logical and analytical business-like mind!

I figured that but still seems like a giant waste. They marketed Kurt Angle just fine. KENTA is the name of a BAMF.
    Kurt angle was different, he was an olympic gold medalist so they had to keep the name to show he was legit.
    Kenta isn't famous outside of Japan, so they changed the name for marketing purposes.
    But also, from the story he is telling, it makes sense.
    He said last night and said in interviews before his debut, he is starting over. A new ring name goes along with that.
    But they aren't going to ruin this guy on purpose, he learned more english and showed more presence in a 5 minute segment than Sin Cara did in 2 years with the company. They like that. He comes from a culture that is more humble, they really like that.

BANNED

they can't own Kenta.
    Yes, I get that. In that case, why bring him in as Kenta? And if they want to change his name, why not just give him a surname. They can call him, say, "Kenta Itame" and own the character.

Astonishing Member

Yes, I get that. In that case, why bring him in as Kenta? And if they want to change his name, why not just give him a surname. They can call him, say, "Kenta Itame" and own the character.
    Because they still don't own Kenta and having that at his first name means people would chant Kenta and refer to him as Kenta.
    They brought him in as Kenta because he was a name known in Japan, and HHH said in that conference call yesterday that they won't be ignoring guys pasts anymore (already stopped, judging from the roh footage in the bryan, shield and punk docs).
    I imagine they wouldn't ignore the Kenta chants, just mention he used to go by that name. ****, on the after show thing Renee refered to the debut of "Japanese superstar Kenta" and mentioned Steen and Devitt.

BANNED

The name doesn't matter. Bryan Danielson became Daniel Bryan , he still became successful. It's what they have as a gimmick , their mic work , their work inside the ring and most importantly , the ability to connect with the wwe audience. It's how wwe works.

Bray Wyatt couldn't do much as Husky Harris but once he became Bray , it's all changed for him. Bryan was only having moderate success , it wasn't until he got into a tag team with kane and they had those skits that his popularity soared.

Mighty Member

Hideo Itami.....and I found out Itami means pain.

So phantom pain/kojima reference? patriots run WWE? METAL GEAR?!

We need heel R-Truth & Jericho now! We got a c-o-n-spiracy!!

I've read that some people say he choose the name Hideo because of pitcher Hideo Nomo. Kenta played baseball, not pro, before becoming a wrestler.

Astonishing Member

You don't lose any old fans with the name changes and they get to create a "new" star. Win win for the WWE.

BANNED

Because they still don't own Kenta and having that at his first name means people would chant Kenta and refer to him as Kenta.
    They brought him in as Kenta because he was a name known in Japan, and HHH said in that conference call yesterday that they won't be ignoring guys pasts anymore (already stopped, judging from the roh footage in the bryan, shield and punk docs).
    I imagine they wouldn't ignore the Kenta chants, just mention he used to go by that name. ****, on the after show thing Renee refered to the debut of "Japanese superstar Kenta" and mentioned Steen and Devitt.
    They're going to chant Kenta and refer to him as Kenta anyway. It's not like the Olé chants stopped for Sami Zayn.

I don't know what you mean by "they don't own Kenta". Surely nobody owns Kenta. It's just a name, isn't it? There's nothing to stop them from using a name, especially with a surname added. That'd even remove any conflict if Kenta returns to the indies.

Please do. I'm going to.
    you going to call or send am email?? let me know where to send complaint if you can.

Kenta's debut was good, although I'm not a fan of the name change. The part where he took a seat in the ring made that segment great. I actually wasn't a big fan of the main event because it seemed like both Breeze and Neville were underused. Maybe it would've been different if Neville (or maybe Zayn) hadn't botched that handspring-into-whatever-the-hell when they finally started wrestling each other. That was one of the big dramatic moments of the match. Could it have been a reverse hurricanrana? Please say the one chance we had to see a reverse hurricanrana in WWE wasn't botched! I like Tyson but while he was dominating Zayn, I wish he'd done more than he did.

If Neville has indeed turned heel, I hope he mocks Americans and says he can't understand their accents.
    i think it was going to be reversed into the blue thunder that generico does.

Elimination matches are better, same with the 3 ways they do where you don't have to get pinned to lose.
    But the Fatal Four way, one fall match, that was tops.
    I think they don't do 4 way eliminations because they have to beat 3 guys.
    the winner could easily only beat 1 guy. looking back that match was a 4 way battle royal of sorts as you could be eliminated via pinfall submission or over the top rope. on paper it doesn't sound like such a great idea but it worked out quite well. they should bring back the final 4 match.

they should’ve thought of that before naming dos caras jr “alberto” del rio.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanvey View Post
    I've read that some people say he choose the name Hideo because of pitcher Hideo Nomo. Kenta played baseball, not pro, before becoming a wrestler.
    well he won’t be returning to RoH anytime soon then.

They're going to chant Kenta and refer to him as Kenta anyway. It's not like the Olé chants stopped for Sami Zayn.

I don't know what you mean by "they don't own Kenta". Surely nobody owns Kenta. It's just a name, isn't it?
    There's nothing to stop them from using a name, especially with a surname added. That'd even remove any conflict if Kenta returns to the indies.
    they own it if they give it to him, like they own "hideo itami". now if he become famous as hideo itami he can’t just start using the name hideo otani or kenta itami when he leaves.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 09-13-2014 at 03:11 AM.

damn it i forgot to ask, i noticed drake was the ref for the womens match, how long has he been on the show??

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    damn it i forgot to ask, i noticed drake was the ref for the womens match, how long has he been on the show??
    I saw him on an nxt show 2 weeks ago, and that was taped a month ago or so.

Fantastic Member

Just started getting into NXT, and saw the episode that this thread is titled after, and lemme just say... Absolutely classic. I was hoping Bo would run off, sad to see him get caught lol

Loved the 4 way main event.