Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Whose leg do you have to hump around here to get a Lady Deadpool ongoing?

Extraordinary Member

Is this Guhiru's first interior work for Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Is this Guhiru's first interior work for Marvel?
    Nope. They did the Power Pack comics and the Secret Love one-shot.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This is just cause Emma Stone is amazing.

That movie sucked but Emma Stone is still ridiculously adorable.

Comics have become a medium that is more about the creative process than the actual popularity of the character within
    that has determined more and more what books I read.

Ms Marvel and Gotham Academy are two books with characters that are new and far from anything popular like
    a Iron Man or Green Lantern, and yet here today, those two books I enjoy more than the two listed (and most others on the stands)

Gwenpool has the chance to be a special book for me (or not)

Having read the back up in Howard the Duck, I have to admit the character has a better concept than what the name GwenPool suggests.
    But having read those I know for sure I am not going to buy this serie.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    This is just cause Emma Stone is amazing.

That movie sucked but Emma Stone is still ridiculously adorable.
    Emma Stone is pretty much the main reason most people care about Gwen Stacy right now .

I understood the appeal of Spider-Gwen and why that was a big hit, but I'm scratching my head as to why Gwenpoole is apparently popular enough to warrant her own ongoing series. It seems like there was as much of a "demand" for her as there was for Silk, but apparently her stories have actually been fairly good so I guess there's that.

I wonder how much mileage Marvel can really get out of AU heroes inspired by Gwen Stacy and catering to the cosplay community?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder how much mileage Marvel can really get out of AU heroes inspired by Gwen Stacy and catering to the cosplay community?
    Got to at least be as much as they are getting out of any of the other books featuring new or established characters that cannot make it a year without getting axed. This will most likely outsell all of the Inhumans books put together.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Come on, you can do better than this. DADDY'S HUNGRY
    Only upside of this is the potential for the ultimate destruction of both Gwen and Deadpool.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I just can't believe the blind and utter hatred that people are pooping off in this thread toward Gwenpool. The "this totally sucks" attitude makes you all sound like a bunch of immature kids who're hating on the big-man-on-campus just to be hating on him because you don't like him. What Marvel is doing with Gwenpool, Christopher Hastings and Gurihiru is not at all different then what DC Comics is doing with Harley Quinn, Batgirl, Amanda Conner's Starfire and Becky Cloonan (Gotham Academy).

The entertainment industry as a whole has found that there is a market and a general audience ranging from old to the youngest for American media-art that bridges the gulf between Action Comedy and Japanese Manga/Kawaii without all the grimdark and Chris. Nolan brooding- struggling- to- find- myself cliche, melodramatic stories of the past decade or so. Without question, Gwenpool has gained a solid fanbase as has been evidenced by all the cosplays at various comic conventions and the multiplicity of Gwenpool and Spider-Gwen fanart on Tumblr, Twitter and DeviantArt.com and if you guys don't believe me then don't take my word for it. Go and look up the Gwenpool fanart and cosplay for yourselves. Marvel Comics wouldn't be doing this new ongoing Gwenpool comic if there were NOT an actual fanbase or audience for it. The same people who love and buy and support Steven Universe and Adventure Time and Bee + Puppycat are no doubt going to stand behind and support Gwenpool. I, myself who am a 27 y/o guy that loves and buys the Spider-Gwen, Babs Tarr Batgirl, Tyson Heese DIESEL, Chris Bachalo Doctor Strange comics and yes I stand behind the new excellent Weirdworld comic with a strong female protagonist from Mike Del Mundo and just as sure as God gives me breath, I swear I am going to give this new Gwenpool a shot to see if it is as good as that cover art makes it out to be.

I mean, for real, that's one beautiful cover. I'm afraid as to what I'll see next on this message board although everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Let's just not be ridiculous. Are people going to hate on Rey from The Force Awakens? Or are people going to declare Maz Kanata the new Jar Jar Binks? Well, that would be really dumb because she is actually a cool new mystical philosopher who is on the level of Yoda in my humble opinion.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Child of the Past View Post
    The problem some of us have with this is that no one demanded this book or this character. Marvel is forcing to of their gimmicks together in the hopes that it will be Spider-Gwen 2.0. The could easily have given a solo to another character that people already like. They could have made another X-Men book since everyone thinks there aren't enough of those now. The point here is that this seem like a waste and ultimately just a quick cash grab.
    I think that they are hoping she is their equivalent to Harley Quinn, which would be a pretty big win for Marvel. And I wouldn't say nobody is asking for her ongoing title. She is already popular in cosplay, and I'm pretty sure Marvel saw a sales spike on her appearances so far, and I'll bet her ongoing gets a decent sales level. They have nothing to lose by giving her a try, and potentially a lot to gain. I think Marvel was really smart to make her more of an original character by not giving her any actual connection to Deadpool and by not having her be Gwen Stacy.

House Of Creative Bankruptcy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Only upside of this is the potential for the ultimate destruction of both Gwen and Deadpool.
    Sorry Mr. Verse, I've already pushed myself away from the table. This is a holy time, and gluttony is a sin.

EDIT: You know, there actually is an interesting question here, somewhere. If Marvel somehow did get the cosplayers to buy the Gwenpool Christmas special, how did they do it? And can they use that strategy to mobilize the Carol Corps so Captain Marvel doesn't reach cancellation levels after a year, as it seemingly always does?
    Last edited by Dog; 12-22-2015 at 11:47 AM.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Just a correction. I don't need a Wasp solo title to be happy. A place in a team book would work. She hasn't been a main part of a book since the first Uncanny Avengers ended.

And new books keep appearing with no Wasp in them. There could only be so many Marvel titles and more keep coming out with no Wasp so yes it does lower her chance to appear in a book.
    This also goes for other important characters and their fans like Ghost Rider, Many X-Men, Elektra, Winter Soldier etc.
    Isn't the Wasp in the new Wolverine book? In any case, there is hope on the horizon, there will likely be a lot more Wasp presence as the movie she's co-star of approaches. I do agree with others that the existence of this book isn't directly related to the lack of Wasp.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Stack View Post
    I could be wrong, but this has GOT to be the FIRST comic book character whose first appearance was on a variant cover.

Attachment 30343

Anyways, I'm conflicted on this. On the comic fan side I think that this is ridiculous. There's already a Gwen character that they're promoting. Besides, where's Lady Deadpool? But on a BUSINESS standpoint I get it. Marvel is aiming for the cosplayer market heavy lately, and with the new Deadpool movie coming out I can see her blasting off. Either way it's not for me, but I can see female readers(and some male) loving it.
    The new Ms. Marvel character had her first appearance in costume on a Captain Marvel variant cover.