Why exactly is she getting an ongoing?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Why exactly is she getting an ongoing?
    'Cause Harley has one and they figure they can make some money with it.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Gwen Stacy is iconic in a way that many newer characters aren't which makes it easier to do riffs on the original. It's not a conspiracy as much as natural interest on the part of readers and professionals.
    Never said it was, just that this is approaching oversaturation. Gwen is getting pushed in a lot if media outlets by Marvel and may sour her to many if they constantly see her being given priority.

Too much of anything in a short time span never ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Never said it was, just that this is approaching oversaturation. Gwen is getting pushed in a lot if media outlets by Marvel and may sour her to many if they constantly see her being given priority.

Too much of anything in a short time span never ends well.
    What about Star Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by frizb View Post
    What about Star Wars?
    It's STAR WARS!

Anyways, Marvel has named the character "Gwen Poole" and are emphasizing that she is a totally different character and not an alternate version of Stacy. Which is a good move to avoid an instantaneous dilution of Alternate Gwen Stacy appeal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    ...an oversaturation of new characters?
    Niche market.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I believe it was Charles Dickens who first said, "Haters gonna hate."

I think Gwenpool is a pretty funny idea. Its success all depends on execution, of course, as does the success of any and all comics.

I'm not missing any sleep because my favorite character, Ben Reilly, is still sleeping with the fishes while Gwenpool gets a comic.

-Pav, who doesn't even understand why anyone would bring that up...
    I brought it up because I felt like it. I could have mention other characters who are in limbo, but it`s the Spiderman Forum.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 12-28-2015 at 10:11 AM.

BANNED

It's just funny that people are mad over a guy who's been dead for fifteen years not getting an ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It's STAR WARS!

Anyways, Marvel has named the character "Gwen Poole" and are emphasizing that she is a totally different character and not an alternate version of Stacy. Which is a good move to avoid an instantaneous dilution of Alternate Gwen Stacy appeal.
    Gwen-Pool is in part a Alternate Gwen Stacy and yet also not any Gwen Stacy that we know of as well. She came from the Gwen Stacy June variant covers so she still has a link in that sense of comic origins plus looking at her and her body and face is that of Gwen Stacy but personality of Deadpool and some original styles and quirks of her own. I count her as a Alternate of Gwen and Deadpool composite in one yet still her own character.
    The same applies in sense for Gwen Stacy/Spider-Gwen where she among a set of the many Gwen Stacys but also with the destiny and responsibility and trials of a alternate Spider hero. She's a "Gwen Stacy" yet like all Gwen Stacys have to be counted as their own character per world as a individual and not a perfect copy or have influence of the many possible outcomes, expectations, or exceptions as each fate is that of their own. Gwen Stacy of 616 and Gwen Stacy of 65 might be a Gwen and alternates of each other but different characters still with actions, environment, peers, and decisions who makes them who they are as individuals.
    Gwen Stacys who could be villains, Gwens who could be silly, Gwens who could be serous, Gwens who would like certain Gwens, and Gwens who would hate certain Gwens and it all based on many factors. Even in the Gwen Stacy Appreciation thread Gwen Stacy of 65 is talked about alot (for understandable reasons) thus each Appreciation thread instead of honoring one character is in fact a Appreciation thread to many different characters with the Alternate worlds and it's characters tossed in. Thus in such threads we have to be careful and make sure we are stating which version we might be talking about (there are Gwens I dislike and Gwens I love).

Thus for me Gwen Poole is still part:
    Gwen Stacy proxy AU category
    Deadpool proxy AU category
    and her own being like all characters are.

I think that this Earth from the picture above (the one with Spider-Storm) that is full of characters that are in some form a mix of two characters we know from 616 would be the perfect world that Gwen-Pool came from being part Deadpool and Gwen Stacy herself (with more Gwen in her genetics). That earth could be the one Gwen-pool came from and was apart of till something happened and she was stuck on 616. Gwen-Pool has to now relearn others and take in a world full of people she knows but feels to her incomplete being only half of who she knew every time and that change is jarring yet takes each one with stride. She feels like a joke KNOWING she is a joke, mixed, and "niche" character but wants to take whatever time she has to carve herself out and at least be entertaining and memorable in a good way for her readers with the limited time she knows she has and thus moves quickly, without thinking, and in the extreme for she could be canceled at any moment (self awareness is a big factor and also acknowledgment even with her own title being "Unbelievable" that she also can't believe she got a series for whatever time she has).

Hoping that the artist and writer is ready and has many great ideas and plots and character developments that we will enjoy making a quality and wonderful character and series.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    It's just funny that people are mad over a guy who's been dead for fifteen years not getting an ongoing.
    Gonna be 20 next year, which is four days from now. Ben Reilly died in 1996.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Disappointingly lame.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Gonna be 20 next year, which is four days from now. Ben Reilly died in 1996.
    I can't count. But yeah, 20 years.

Spectacular Member

A 100% meh!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Recently (relatively) I made a post about how Gwen wasn't that much of a big thing. Defending the book because Gwen fatigue didn't seem like a thing cause it just isn't. Gwenpool is odd to me that it is getting a series. Then again I haven't read anything about it so maybe I might change my mind about it after reading it but as of right now I'm not interested.

In the case of Ben Reilly and what has since spun out of the spider-man brand, I sympathize with those who cant seem to catch a break with Ben. The problem I think is that to some it seems frustrating because everything in the spiderverse seems to be getting an ongoing or consistent appearances everywhere else, and Ben is still sitting in limbo. Marvel puts things out fans would buy like Gwenpool or Spider Gwen which was a perfect example of this. But Marvel somehow still doesn't put out a Ben Reilly book despite anything and everything else getting a book. At a point in time when Marvel is taking so many chances with its brands and doesn't seem to be afraid with flooding the market with the spider brand, it just feels odd that it continues to deny the spider clones even when it is selling a bunch of spider-man clones.
    The problem as I see it with Ben Reilly is that he was created as a replacement for Peter Parker. To my mind Marvel are waiting for the right story to reintroduce Ben Reilly. It has to be a story where the reader has to be convinced Ben is Peter before they'll do it.

Sort of like Civil War but on a smaller scale. You follow this Spiderman around for 5 books, then suddenly there's a knock on the door and a bedraggled Peter falls into Spidermans arms, and shock horror, one of them is a fake.

I suppose this Gwenpool could be a Gwen Stacy from what appears to be a real world, like ours, but this is no Gwen Stacy as we know her. This is a ditz whose come from the Michael Jackson farm, or is some sixteen year old entitled Hollywood brat. That's my first impressions here, because she seems to be happy to see it as all fun, yet, she knows she could get killed as an extra, and not come back to life. And there's the problem. Gwen may be treating this world like a computer game - just point and shoot and pick up points - but she's actually stuck in here because she feels mortality. Unless she's on pot, and doesn't understand how serious in trouble she is here, and she's just lucky she was caught up with Howard the Duck to protect her. She definitely seems to have some luck powers, because she seems to fall safely everytime.

What the new series might be able to do is make her realise she is permanently stuck here, with no powers, and no skill, so unless she can alter her game plan - - put on a ridiculous suit and hunt Hydra carefree - she is going to be shot at and injured badly. And maybe she needs to go to school and get a clue. She deserves to associate with Squirrel Girl, and Starbrand for a while, before she gets a real wake up call.