Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mighty Member

Yeah the best parts of Tanya have been in Deathstroke soooo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    Basically it is a Social Justice Warrior character which Marvel have created a fair few of recently. Riri is similar to Tanya in many respects and I feel that if Marvel had Tanya they would write her in a manner that would rub readers the wrong way. I've seen a lot of people who read Riri consider her more of a villain than a hero.
    Marvel's given solos to some female and minority characters. But so has DC...are they SJW characters too? The people who say that Riri makes a better villain than hero are "anti-SJW Marvel" folks who say that as a way to make fun of her. It's not something you can take as serious criticism.

I read today's Deathstroke and it highlighted something I didn't notice about Tanya at first but it became pretty clear to me. In the official DC Comics Encyclopaedia it states that Tanya is 5'3. However in the issue she looks taller than that, this is because I saw her next to Kid Flash and she was taller than him. I know that he isn't the tallest superhero around but from what I've seen of him I'm guessing that he is around 5'6 which would make Tanya about 5'9, 5'10 in the issue. I know that he's definitely not 5 feet or below.

You could say that this was all because of Tanya's ability to increase her size but when it comes to normal civilian stuff she shouldn't need to make herself taller. There are a few theories that I have. One (and most likely the correct one), it was just the artist's choice to make her look taller. Two, when she unlocked the ability to grow in size it caused her natural height to increase by a few inches. Three, Tanya willingly makes herself a few inches taller than normal because she desires to be taller than her natural height.

This might sound all silly but I want to know what people think.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    I read today's Deathstroke and it highlighted something I didn't notice about Tanya at first but it became pretty clear to me. In the official DC Comics Encyclopaedia it states that Tanya is 5'3. However in the issue she looks taller than that, this is because I saw her next to Kid Flash and she was taller than him. I know that he isn't the tallest superhero around but from what I've seen of him I'm guessing that he is around 5'6 which would make Tanya about 5'9, 5'10 in the issue. I know that he's definitely not 5 feet or below.

You could say that this was all because of Tanya's ability to increase her size but when it comes to normal civilian stuff she shouldn't need to make herself taller. There are a few theories that I have. One (and most likely the correct one), it was just the artist's choice to make her look taller. Two, when she unlocked the ability to grow in size it caused her natural height to increase by a few inches. Three, Tanya willingly makes herself a few inches taller than normal because she desires to be taller than her natural height.

This might sound all silly but I want to know what people think.
    I don't read Deathstroke but I like your last theory. It adds to her character and it really isn't negative in any way. The second theory also makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I don't read Deathstroke but I like your last theory. It adds to her character and it really isn't negative in any way. The second theory also makes sense.
    Thanks, I would like it to be one of the latter two but I think my first theory is the most logical one. Artists don't seem to stay consistent with heights, just look at Wolverine, he's supposed to be 5'3 but isn't drawn that height very often.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Despite how much I have not really wanted to, I have grown to like Tanya quite a lot. I just wish that DC would give her a different alter ego. Power Girl will always be Karen Starr. Give her her own name and try her out in a mini series or bring back Young Justice and put her there. She's turned into a really cool character (especially under Christopher Priest in Deathstroke) but it's time for her to be her own character and not in someone else's shadow.

Here's an idea for a alternate name for her. This might not sound too original but how about Tower Girl? It is simply switching a letter from her name but it would also reflect her size changing ability. It wouldn't be too much of a change but would make her different to Power Girl.

On a side note a good story arc for her was if she had a period where she was stuck at giant size or at least have her unable to shrink below a certain size (like 10 feet).
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

She’s kind of an odd character, a derivative of a derivative.

Supergirl begot Powergirl which indirectly begot 2nd Powergirl.

But sometimes odd characters can find success, not many but some.

Like I mentioned before I'd love Tanya to have her own series but just happy to see her in regular print.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

I suspect that wherever the Justice Society is being held, Karen Starr/Kara -- the one we all knew before the 2011 reboot -- is with them. And eventually she'll return with them. After all, she's a member.

So sure, let Tanya be Power Girl and Karen be Power Woman. No big deal. (Doesn't matter if they're not related. Jessica Drew and Peter Parker aren't related either.)

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    I suspect that wherever the Justice Society is being held, Karen Starr/Kara -- the one we all knew before the 2011 reboot -- is with them. And eventually she'll return with them. After all, she's a member.

So sure, let Tanya be Power Girl and Karen be Power Woman. No big deal. (Doesn't matter if they're not related. Jessica Drew and Peter Parker aren't related either.)
    I would have no problem with Karen adopting Power Woman, if DC does that.
    A name that I think would suit her would be Titania, but that's just me.

Astonishing Member

Fans of Tanya MAY want to see the latest episode of Supergirl if they haven't already...

IE Season 3 Episode 18 Episode title "Shelter from the Storm"

Mighty Member

What's wrong with her going by her government name? It works for Jean Grey.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Does she use her powers in the show? If she does I'm guessing it is only the strength and invulnerability part as I doubt they'll do her size manipulation powers.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

I really REALLY want to see more of Defiance and more of Tanya

Also wanted a scene eventually of Deathstroke teaching Tanya how to fight, as in martial arts, and things of that nature. But can't have it all X_X

Either way, her being a consistent character would be amazing to have, that or at least having her in the Young Justice Season 3 :-( Though that likely isn't happening.