Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Power and Brains Go a Long Way (The Tanya Spears aka Power Girl Appriciation Thread)

Hi there I thought I would start a thread for Tanya Spears who is the latest girl to have the Power Girl Codename. For those who don't know her she is an African American teenager with a genius level intellect and super powers. Her powers include superhuman strength and invincibility. Also recently she has demonstrated size manipulation abilities which to tell you the truth caught me by surprise. She is a member of the Teen Titans and I hope that her career lasts a long while.

For this thread discuss everything you want about the character including her powers, history, current activities and fan art. I hope to see an active thread but things don't always go to plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

BANNED

Though I dont know anything about her. It's cool to see more black females in the DC Universe

she seems like a cool character but i wish they'd give her an original code name. she's always going to be considered the lesser Powergirl. i know they were trying to generate attention by giving her that name but in the long run it doesn't help the character. call her Ultragirl or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    she seems like a cool character but i wish they'd give her an original code name. she's always going to be considered the lesser Powergirl. i know they were trying to generate attention by giving her that name but in the long run it doesn't help the character. call her Ultragirl or something.
    I think she'll eventually get her own codename which is unique to her. Or maybe like some comic book characters will be better known for her real name (such as Kitty Pryde and Jean Grey).

BTW the way what do people think about her new growing powers. At first I thought it would make her overpowered but unlike the original Power Girl doesn't have the flight, heat vision and other powers (besides superhuman strength). Which is mostly associated with Kryptonians.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    I think she'll eventually get her own codename which is unique to her. Or maybe like some comic book characters will be better known for her real name (such as Kitty Pryde and Jean Grey).

BTW the way what do people think about her new growing powers. At first I thought it would make her overpowered but unlike the original Power Girl doesn't have the flight, heat vision and other powers (besides superhuman strength). Which is mostly associated with Kryptonians.
    any way they can differentiate her from Karen Star is a good thing. she's been appearing regularly in DC Comics for a while now so she's established as a regular. now they're expanding her powers and the next step should be to give her a new code name.

Here's one thing I'm predicting will happen in an issue in the near future. One of the Teen Titans covers I've seen is a defeated Teen Titans at the feet on Wonder Woman. If the Teen Titans do battle Wonder Woman (unless its another misleading cover) I can imagine Tanya growing to giant size to try and gain some advantage over her. Of course we know that Wonder Woman has experience in fighting a giant size person (namingly Giganta) so she is easily able to knock Tanya out.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would really like for them to give her a different name. (Ultra Girl would be cool, but it's already taken by a Marvel character.) But I think she could be quite cool and maybe even somewhat popular if they gave her a different name. She's got a decent design and might even make a decent character under the proper writer. But she needs a new name!
    Suggestions...I sadly can't think of anything at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I would really like for them to give her a different name. (Ultra Girl would be cool, but it's already taken by a Marvel character.) But I think she could be quite cool and maybe even somewhat popular if they gave her a different name. She's got a decent design and might even make a decent character under the proper writer. But she needs a new name!
    Suggestions...I sadly can't think of anything at the moment...
    How about Ultimate Girl? Don't think that's been used unless Ultimate is something that only Marvel can use.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

BANNED

I don't have an issue with it, because one Power Girl is on Earth 2 and the other is on the main earth. It would only bother me if they were on the same earth.

How about Tanya Tomorrow, Mighty Girl or Infinity Girl? I don't know. But I what I do know is that I'd like how intelligent she is. Since the Titans don't have Cyborg anymore, they need someone to be the brains of the group. Tim isn't enough imo.

I think the name fits her. I just wish she had actually character development, was in a book that isnt stagnant and boring and said more than two things an issue. I feel like she and bunker have so much potential to be the future face of the TT, even ore than that. I feel like shes being wasted right now but I have hope with greg pak writing TT now.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Also cool thread name easily 10/10 you deserve all the medals and trophies
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

BANNED

The new Power Girl just made me realize there aren't that many black superheroes on the female side. I just look forward to some character growth. I don't want her to be a 'Back for the Dead' trope in the future.

Tanya does put the Titan in Teen Titans.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    I think the name fits her. I just wish she had actually character development, was in a book that isnt stagnant and boring and said more than two things an issue. I feel like she and bunker have so much potential to be the future face of the TT, even ore than that. I feel like shes being wasted right now but I have hope with greg pak writing TT now.
    The latest issue(issue 15) she had more things to do and say,and she was shown more, so it was an improvement.She was like a leader too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    The new Power Girl just made me realize there aren't that many black superheroes on the female side. I just look forward to some character growth. I don't want her to be a 'Back for the Dead' trope in the future.
    There are alot/many female black superheroes,but for dc a certain amount is shown at a time.
    You could say certain amount is shown for any group,but certain groups are shown in larger numbers then others.
    Certain other comic companies will show certain groups in larger numbers then dc for example,so it depends on the comic company.

Black Superheroes/World of Black Heroes
    http://www.comicvine.com/profile/ryo...-heroes/11628/

http://worldofblackheroes.com/
    and
    http://worldofblackheroes.com/exhibi...k-superheroes/
    Last edited by mace11; 12-25-2015 at 08:13 AM.