Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Default Silver Age Female Superheroes

I'm trying to make a list of Marvel's earliest female superheroes. For the purposes of this list, a female superhero is a female protagonist with super powers, and the Silver Age is the time period from the release of Fantastic Four #1 through Dec 31, 1969. In other words, Scarlet Witch was a "villain" when she first appeared in X-Men #4, so she wouldn't have been considered a female superhero at that time. Likewise, Carol Danvers first appeared in 1968, but didn't develop powers until much later, so she wasn't a superhero in the Silver Age.

These are the characters I have so far with their first appearances as a superhero:

1) Invisible Woman (Fantastic Four #1, Nov 1961)
    2) Wasp (Tales to Astonish #44, Jun 1963)
    3) Jean Grey (X-Men #1, Sep 1963)
    4) Scarlet Witch (Avengers #16, May 1965)
    5) Crystal (Fantastic Four #45, Dec 1965)
    6) Medusa (Fantastic Four #48, Mar 1966)
    7) Black Widow (Avengers #32, Sep 1966)
    8) Sif (Thor #139, Apr 1967)
    9) Polaris (X-Men #49, Oct 1968)

#) Clea (TBD)

Have I left anyone off?
    Last edited by idisestablish; 12-24-2015 at 07:00 AM.

Invincible Member

I'm guess that Avengers #4 is really Avengers #16 for Scarlet Witch?

Yes, thank you. I guess I had X-Men #4 on my mind.
    Last edited by idisestablish; 12-23-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Wasn't Namora around in some capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    Wasn't Namora around in some capacity?
    She hasn't shown in a new story until The Sub-Mariner (1968) #33 - January 1971, according to http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=1682. The three issues published by Marvel during the "official" Silver Age are reprints from the Atlas Era.

Only three appearances in the 70's, the two lasts in issues by Bill Everett : Subby 33, 50, 51 and I suspect that they are only flashbacks or/and cameos. Two reprints of the Atlas Era in Subby 54 and Hero for Hire 15.

At the end of the 80's, she appears in three issues of Saga of the Sub-Mariner, published in 1988 and 1989. It's not the Bronze Age anymore by the way. The listing is still interesting for the following decades. The first decade of the new century seems great for the character. Of course it makes me want even more an on-going Agents of Atlas title! AFAK she didn't make it to the cast of ANAD A-Force, did she?

I would really like to read the stories from the 40's : her creation under the pencil of Sydney Shore in May 1947 is clearly an attempt to introduce a bit of "Good Girl" art - quite innocent in fact - in the titles published at the time by Marvel-Timely, but I truly wonder how the character was written back then. (I should ask to Mantis Girl who owns the issue where she appears for the 2nd or 3rd time - two issues are dated of "Summer 1947" and in fact her first appearance in the Sub-Mariner Comics title !). Comics had moved from the war related themes at the time and romance comics were on the rise. I hope that the Marvel Masterworks from that era will be published someday - and not in a decade ! Of course Namora disappears with the other super-heroes in 1949.

For her characterization during the 50's I trust Bill Everett in the post-code Sub-Mariner stories from 1954 and 1955. He was very close to his sister and his mother, and according to an easy to find interview of his daughter was a great husband and father. The Marvel Masterworks Atlas Era collecting these stories has been already published. I see it on my shelves... I think it's time to open it...

Sorry to derail the thread with all these researches, but Namora being a Golden Age super-heroine, it's not that far from the problematic of the OP of Idisestablish. Perhaps it can help a bit giving some historical context.

I must add that all the characters listed in the OP are really extraordinary. I truly appreciate all of them even more realizing how revolutionary they were in the landscape of the Silver Age. I read all their first stories while I was a little boy in the first years of the 80's , and happily, while it wasn't intended, most of them are among the books and back-issues I collected this year! It's gonna be a real pleasure to reread them all once again.

That is a good project for 2016. so I guess that your thread is like a Xmas gift for me, Idisestablish. Thank you so much for it! Of course I wish you and Reality (and ed2962 too) a merry Xmas - or whatever : at least a day-off I hope. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    She hasn't shown in a new story until The Sub-Mariner (1968) #33 - January 1971, according to http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=1682. The three issues published by Marvel during the "official" Silver Age are reprints from the Atlas Era.

Only three appearances in the 70's, the two lasts in issues by Bill Everett : Subby 33, 50, 51 and I suspect that they are only flashbacks or/and cameos. Two reprints of the Atlas Era in Subby 54 and Hero for Hire 15.

At the end of the 80's, she appears in three issues of Saga of the Sub-Mariner, published in 1988 and 1989. It's not the Bronze Age anymore by the way. The listing is still interesting for the following decades. The first decade of the new century seems great for the character. Of course it makes me want even more an on-going Agents of Atlas title! AFAK she didn't make it to the cast of ANAD A-Force, did she?

I would really like to read the stories from the 40's : her creation under the pencil of Sydney Shore in May 1947 is clearly an attempt to introduce a bit of "Good Girl" art - quite innocent in fact - in the titles published at the time by Marvel-Timely, but I truly wonder how the character was written back then. (I should ask to Mantis Girl who owns the issue where she appears for the 2nd or 3rd time - two issues are dated of "Summer 1947" and in fact her first appearance in the Sub-Mariner Comics title !). Comics had moved from the war related themes at the time and romance comics were on the rise. I hope that the Marvel Masterworks from that era will be published someday - and not in a decade ! Of course Namora disappears with the other super-heroes in 1949.

For her characterization during the 50's I trust Bill Everett in the post-code Sub-Mariner stories from 1954 and 1955. He was very close to his sister and his mother, and according to an easy to find interview of his daughter was a great husband and father. The Marvel Masterworks Atlas Era collecting these stories has been already published. I see it on my shelves... I think it's time to open it...

Sorry to derail the thread with all these researches, but Namora being a Golden Age super-heroine, it's not that far from the problematic of the OP of Idisestablish. Perhaps it can help a bit giving some historical context.

I must add that all the characters listed in the OP are really extraordinary. I truly appreciate all of them even more realizing how revolutionary they were in the landscape of the Silver Age. I read all their first stories while I was a little boy in the first years of the 80's , and happily, while it wasn't intended, most of them are among the books and back-issues I collected this year! It's gonna be a real pleasure to reread them all once again.

That is a good project for 2016. so I guess that your thread is like a Xmas gift for me, Idisestablish. Thank you so much for it! Of course I wish you and Reality (and ed2962 too) a merry Xmas - or whatever : at least a day-off I hope. Thanks again!
    Indeed, Abe, I didn't realize how few there were until I started putting the list together... It was shorter than I initially expected it to be. But you're right, those are some top-notch characters, and it makes me happy to know you enjoyed seeing it. Merry Christmas to you as well.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Nice Idea for a Thread Idisestablish!

Started to do my own research and search into These Classic Ladies of Marvel's Silver Age and So Far I found out:

The Lovely Love of Dr. Strange Clea was 1st Introduced in Strange Tales #126 in November 1964, but right now I don't know if she was Good or Bad in this issue?

Also, Sif of Thor Mythos was Introduced in Journey into Mystery 102 in March 1964!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    Indeed, Abe, I didn't realize how few there were until I started putting the list together... It was shorter than I initially expected it to be. But you're right, those are some top-notch characters, and it makes me happy to know you enjoyed seeing it. Merry Christmas to you as well.
    Thanks Idisestablish ! I had to notice also that this list highlights Crystal in a very surprising way, especially when you consider that she's the first heroine to appear acting alone and in a way by herself - at least in the beginning of the story IIRC - and not already included in a team or as villain or needing the help of a man to get some power.

Not that much surprising considering her elemental powers perfectly fitting the team she encounters in the story. Great creation by Jack and Stan indeed! She's really unique! I didn't realize how much before... It's quite incredible in fact...

EDIT : Just read the wonderful post of CJStriker! Clea and Sif ! Pure Ditko and Kirby mythological figures... Both wonderful and both in 1964.... That means before Crystal... But it doesn't change that much the point I tried to make. I just need to add that Cristal is an Earthling... She's still unique and the first of her kind (I'm talking about heroines) on this planet - during the Silver Age.
    Last edited by Abe; 12-23-2015 at 10:11 PM.

CJStriker, great job! I knew I had to be missing at least one or two... I'm sure that both Sif and Clea should probably be added to the list, but I do need to dig a little to find out exactly where. It looks like Clea is helping Doctor Strange in her first appearance, but I'm not sure when she develops powers. It looks like Doctor Strange teaches her how to use magic, but I'm not sure when/if she displays any ability before that. It looks like Clea is unnamed even until Strange Tales #146 (Jul 1966), just described as "captive girl" or "mysterious girl" until then. Can anyone chime in on exactly when Clea demonstrated super powers? Sif is also a damsel in distress in her first appearance, and looks like she is solely a captive/love interest for Thor until Thor #139 (Apr 1967) when she takes up arms. Thor says, "Get thee hence, fair Sif! For, though thy heart is gallantry itself... still art thou merely a woman!" and she retorts "I say thee nay, God of Thunder! Though my form be female, I do fight for Asgard... and if need be, so shall I die!" So, I feel like that pins down Sif. So what about Clea? I might need some help on that one.

Abe, that is a good point. I didn't realize that myself until you pointed it out, but that is true. Crystal is the first female superhero (so far) that we first encounter operating without a male "supervisor!" That is pretty cool!
    Last edited by idisestablish; 12-24-2015 at 07:04 AM.

The first reference I can find to Clea doing anything other than "telling" or "showing" something to Stephen or being captured is Doctor Strange #137 (Oct 1968). Can anyone confirm or refute that this is Clea's first "superhero appearance?" In this issue, Clea and Victoria Bentley use the Orb of Agamotto to reverse a spell. I admit I don't know a lot about Doctor Strange-related topics.

Incredible Member

To make it further Silver Age accurate, back then, Invisible Woman was named "Invisible Girl", Jean Grey, "Marvel Girl", and Lorna Dane was just named Lorna Dane.

And I thought, Marvel's Silver Age lasted through Amazing Spider-Man #121-122 (June-July.1973) , the death of Gwendolyn Stacy.
    Last edited by ngroove; 12-24-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    To make it further Silver Age accurate, back then, Invisible Woman was named "Invisible Girl", Jean Grey, "Marvel Girl", and Lorna Dane was just named Lorna Dane.

And I thought, Marvel's Silver Age lasted through Amazing Spider-Man #121-122 (June-July.1973) , the death of Gwendolyn Stacy.
    Most folks pick 1968 as the end of the Silver Age everywhere. The year twice up art disappeared and modern age art size started (Thanks Murphy Anderson.) TOS, TTA ended and Sub-Mariner number 1 appeared, Iron Man number 1. Captain America 100, The Incredible Hulk 103 etc...Not the place to debate that I guess.

I sort of see the Silver Age as ending at different points for different characters. For example, with Black Widow, I think it ended with Amazing Spider-Man #86, when she got a new costume and red hair. For Spider-Man it might be the Death of Gwen Stacy or Green Goblin Reborn.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Most folks pick 1968 as the end of the Silver Age everywhere. The year twice up art disappeared and modern age art size started (Thanks Murphy Anderson.) TOS, TTA ended and Sub-Mariner number 1 appeared, Iron Man number 1. Captain America 100, The Incredible Hulk 103 etc...Not the place to debate that I guess.
    I didn't knew. I have a personal theory with the Silver Surfer series being in a way the first Bronze Age series. A little bit paradoxical I know. This marvelous site http://marvelmasterworks.com/ use 1970.

In fact Hrist's theory is probably the most pertinent of all. But hard to use...

Not a thing to debate here, but the ending of the GA / transition into the SA is kind of blurry too.

Let's say that we discuss here the super-heroines of 60's Marvel. And it makes a lot of sense.