Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS - Can we talk about Finn?

Overview: The character of FN-2187 or Finn means a great deal to me, and has struck a very strong cord with me. Finn is co lead to this movie. Finn serves as our eyes and ears into this movie and new world. He's basically doing the same thing Luke did in the first movie (more on that later). As I watched this movie I couldn't help but feel that Finn was not only the most sympathetic and emotionally charged character this movie offered, but also the most likable. A lot of that comes from his complete and utter vulnerability.

We as the view get born into the world of Star Wars just as "Finn" is being born and FN-2187 is dying. Before this FN-2187 was a cog in a machine to be "reconditioned" when any sign of individuality was shown. He wasn't even allowed to take off his mask. Somehow he's able to break the conditioning (more on that later) even though he's had no signs of non compliance before.

Poe christens the newly liberated young man with the name Finn, and we see that person "come to life". Then reality sets in and he's scared and alone after the crash. We then see that while Finn is heroic by nature he's also human and flawed. He helps Peo escape but only because he needs a pilot. He tries to save Rey but then lies to her about his role before meeting her. But never did I feel he was this hustler or anything of the sort. I'd seen what he's been through first hand and I know that it was just out of need.

Finn is a social butterfly and just as in awe of the world as we are. He connects with Poe and Rey. You can tell he's not used to this level of connection and friendship so he really latches onto it/them. But the interesting thing is Finn is literally surrounded by amazingly spectacular people. A princes turned war general, the greatest pilot in the galaxy, a famous ex war hero, and a tremendously powerful and capable user of the force. All of these people that fit in and have larger than life roles to play. He even says "there's nothing special about me". He's not out to save the galaxy or right wrongs. He's scared for his life. It makes it all the more powerful when he inadvertently saves the galaxy while actually being selfish in just wanting his friend back.

And what's most poetic about him is that when he finally gets that sense of self worth and individuality he decides to look outside of himself and he helps his friend. Disregarding the fact that he's going right back to the object of his fears and the ultimate personification of it, Kylo Ren.

Luke parallels: I think that the filmmakers may have pulled one of the most subtle beats of film making in all of Star Wars. I think they made Rey such a strong contender for being the Luke of the show down to the garb, the desert planet, and skill in the force (and possible lineage) that our collective eyes may have been made to be drawn there on instinct. But doesn't Finn fit it just as well in his own way? Humble beginnings: farmboy/low ranking storm trooper. Some third party comes and tells them they can be more than what they seem: the wizard Ben tells Luke his birthright/Poe gives Finn a name. They both work as our eyes and ears into the world. They both face a foe they aren't at all ready for, and pay the price in flesh: Finn's back/Luke's hand. They both fight this foe to save their friends. They're also generally the most wide eyed and least spectacular in their first outing (though Luke's Death Star run-like moment is relegated to Rey (and Poe))

What are we working towards? Why Finn having the force, no doubt. Why do I think this aside from the above? Remember both Rey AND Finn have their last names hidden from us in and out of the movies with J.J. Abrams says it's "completely intentional". Most will say "it's Lando", but then I ask why keep it a secret? Learning Lando is Finn's dad isn't going to have the same impact as learning Han, Luke, or Leia were his parent. Not saying it's any of them, just that it's likely going to be more important. Also FN-2187. 2187 is the number of Leia's cell door in New Hope. Leia was the "other" aka force sensitive of the OT. I don't see why the force should be relegated to Skywalkers and evil emperors.

Anyways the more I think about the character the more I enjoy him. Note I'm not saying he'll "steal the lead" from Rey or whatever you're worried about, but instead that he'll co lead. I'm very confident that the awaking of the force allowed Finn to resist the conditioning.

But yeah, what are all your thoughts on Finn and his role in this movie and future films? Do you agree/disagree with my thoughts?

Edit: Also special thanks to the user Majesty for inspiring me to write this up!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-27-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Cool analysis.

I loved Finn, I think he's a great addition to the Star Wars universe and I look forward to seeing where his story goes.

I didn't realize that 2187 was Leia's cell door number--nice catch!

Nice theory about the Force awakening allowing him to resist his conditioning. I'm not sure I buy that yet. I think he might be more equivalent to Han Solo, the 'grounded' perspective in the film. But that in itself wouldn't exclude him from eventually being revealed to have Force sensitivity.

I guess we'll know in a few years!

Loved Finn. Can't wait to see where they take the character.

BANNED

I'm guessing that he'll stay a bit geeky and awkward. It's part of his charm that he overcomes all this to be where he wants himself to be. And I'm guessing that if he is Force sensitive, it won't necessarily be expressed as martial prowess. He'll have some other gift to add to the mix.

Thank you guys for taking the time out to reply!

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Cool analysis.

I loved Finn, I think he's a great addition to the Star Wars universe and I look forward to seeing where his story goes.

I didn't realize that 2187 was Leia's cell door number--nice catch!

Nice theory about the Force awakening allowing him to resist his conditioning. I'm not sure I buy that yet. I think he might be more equivalent to Han Solo, the 'grounded' perspective in the film. But that in itself wouldn't exclude him from eventually being revealed to have Force sensitivity.

I guess we'll know in a few years!
    Thanks! Yeah the number was really interesting to me. I'd actually read about it rather than catching it on my first try. I think Finn's force sensitivity was pretty well hinted at. The thing is I think the film makers may have purposefully covered it up with Rey's spectacle, and her immediate eye catching Luke and Anakin parallels.

I mean why notice that when the Starkiller is fired Finn instinctively looks up into the sky after hearing screaming from nowhere (the first order had not attacked his location yet mind you) when just before this Rey has a very vivid force vision and is told a lightsaber is calling to her?

I think this makes him the perfect candidate for the "other" as Leia was, but unlike before we may very well see our "other" come into power.

Also J.J. Abrams is known for his misdirects. It's one of his signatures. Abrams even did a Ted talk on his love for the art of misdirection and mystery (https://www.ted.com/talks/j_j_abrams...ox?language=en). And don't forget the man is one of the co creators of the misdirection saturated show Lost.

I'd bet good money that a lot of the little flourishes to Finn (Luke parallels (hurt by the dark foe and more), lightsaber marketing, 2187, resisting conditioning, and subtle moments) are all there for a payoff that likely has to deal with the force. Also the coma is a pretty nice set up for some force related visions.

But yeah just fun speculation for now!

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    I'm guessing that he'll stay a bit geeky and awkward. It's part of his charm that he overcomes all this to be where he wants himself to be. And I'm guessing that if he is Force sensitive, it won't necessarily be expressed as martial prowess. He'll have some other gift to add to the mix.
    I'm thinking he's taking his own heroes journey that leads him to evolve from geeky and awkward to the hero we saw flashes of in this movie when his friends were in danger. It's not unlike Luke in a lot of ways. Remember in A New Hope when Luke first sees Leia's hologram? She becomes the object of his desire. It then only intensifies once he learns that he's the knight to her stolen princes. He finally finds himself face to face with her and is likely feeling pretty darn heroic and expects her to fawn all over him. But Leia simply (and perfectly says) "aren't you a little short to be a storm trooper?" It's like a big smack of reality. This isn't a boyhood fantasy he'd have while shooting wamprats in the backyard.

I bring this up because Finn mirrors it. He sees Rey in distress and his first instinct is to help her, but she's got it. Then she proves that she's even more capable than he is (in a lot of way just like Leia did in the rescue), but still Finn feels the need to grab her hand as if he's still the big strong hero who's got this. Then when Finn is knocked out for a moment she's the one who goes over to check on him but still he instinctively as "are you ok". You can almost see it on Rey's face when she says yes. Like "yeah I'm okay, I'm not the one on my backside right now".

I think just as Luke grew into a more seasoned and heroic character after being a bit of a whiny geek so too will Finn.

BANNED

I am just going to copy what I put in the minority thread 10 Biggest Complaints...

1) Loses To Rey, Loses To "Riot Control" Trooper in a stomp (1st for any Star Wars Lead), slashed across the back by Kylo because of a white girl
    2) Gotta get named by Poe instead of naming himself like Rucka
    3) No Skills while Rey is Genius Mechanic (can tell Han how to fix his own ship meanwhile Finn cant find the right tool), Ace Pilot (1st time out), Force Prodigy (advanced skills no training including mind tricks), Fighting Badass (beats up grunts, then Kylo no training), Multilingual unlike Rucka where Finn is top 1%
    4) Drinks from trough like an animal
    5) Always scared (not going to complain about him sweating deserts are hot when you aint acclimatized)
    6) Motivation is to Run Not Liberate, Then Saving Rey
    7) Ends in Coma so basically no payoff
    8) No Force Confirmed
    9) Probably Friendzoned...
    10) Sanitation Detail SMH.

Boyega really owned the part.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    I am just going to copy what I put in the minority thread 10 Biggest Complaints...

1) Loses To Rey, Loses To "Riot Control" Trooper in a stomp (1st for any Star Wars Lead), slashed across the back by Kylo because of a white girl
    3) No Skills while Rey is Genius Mechanic (can tell Han how to fix his own ship meanwhile Finn cant find the right tool), Ace Pilot (1st time out), Force Prodigy (advanced skills no training including mind tricks), Fighting Badass (beats up grunts, then Kylo no training), Multilingual unlike Rucka where Finn is top 1%
    5) Always scared (not going to complain about him sweating deserts are hot when you aint acclimatized)
    8) No Force Confirmed
    Wow that's certainly a lot. And to be honest I see where you're coming from with some of it.

But to put it bluntly I don't agree. I for one like that he's only good with a blaster....and that's it. It made him so much more relatable and human than the best pilot in the galaxy, the war hero, the general, and the prodigy force user/ mechanic. He was the human center in a world of legends and monsters. He made the scary parts scary, and the happy parts happy. His ability to make a connection with people was so real (mainly due to the actor) that it actually made the others pop more.

Poe has a character at all because Finn made such a connection with him. When you see him meet up with Finn after all is said and done you (well I) really feel the bond. Rey could have been horribly wooden boring had it not been for Finn being there to contrast her. If you remember he's actually the only character we follow from top to bottom. Literally everyone else are these enigmas. We basically follow him from "birth" of sorts.

But I know what I've said doesn't agree with you, and it really doesn't have to. You're more than welcome to your views. Hell I welcome them. It's good conversation. And you're likely formulation a comeback that contains "so he's there just to make everyone else look good" and to that I say no. He's there to make everyone else look human. Without him I don't think that movie has any stakes or heart. Just a bunch of archetypes walking around.

But I think Finn himself is on the same slow burn heroes journey that Luke was, but his big Death Star moment is replace with and Empire Strikes back defeat. I think we're looking at dual Luke Skywalkers (maybe three in Ben). I think Finn is just taking the path that's actually closer to Luke thematically and as our entry point character.

But I get it, you wanted the same instant gratification that everyone else seemed to get. But to that I say I think Finn is going to shape up better than most in the long run since even when he get's to that level of awesome we as the viewers will still recognize him as a 3 dimensional that we have followed through thick and thin so he could earn the payoff that are coming his way (force, final fight etc). It will feel all the sweeter and quite frankly be fantastic and measured storytelling that's not always prevalent with these big movies nowadays.

I'm gonna flat out say that Finn will be a dual protagonist along with Rey. He'll have the force. He'll be there at the final fight, and it will be the two of them that end the conflict in tandem. There are too many nods and clues that make feel think this for it to be just a coincidence. Hope you take some solace in that, and thanks for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Boyega really owned the part.
    That's for damn sure!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post

8) No Force Confirmed
    What nonsense.

In particular, #5. Always scared? Yet he picks up a light sabre when he has no weapon and defends himself. He's always scared? So he helps plan the invasion of Starkiller Base and helps leads the infiltration. He's always scared? So, he picks up a lightsabre again when he KNOWS he's going to get turned into bloody ribbons and defends Rey.

The one thing you learn in almost any literature is that characters face fear, but the true definition of heroism is not to deny the fear you feel, but to act in spite of it. By that universal measure, Finn has proved himself a hero. Over and over and over again.

SMH. I know it's never going to sink. SMH.

The one thing you learn in almost any literature is that characters face fear, but the true definition of heroism is not to deny the fear you feel, but to act in spite of it. By that universal measure, Finn has proved himself a hero. Over and over and over again.
    This is the reason that makes me think that there are great things in this guys future. He's so quintessentially a hero and a "unassuming potential" type that I'd bet good money on his screen and story importance pivotal. Side character or even "obligatory love interest" he is not. IMO.

BANNED

Me, personally*...I wanted Finn to Force choke 50,000 Stormtroopers (at the same time!), reignite the Jedi Council, bring forth wealth and prosperity to every planet in the galaxy, and bang Rey-wearing-a-slave-Leia-costume... all in the SAME movie.

I'm still happy with what I got though.

*Sarcasm

BANNED

Hmm didnt know you wrote FanFic Star_Jammer

He was awesome. And I definitely also considered that Force sensitivity, and having an awakening of his own, might be the catalyst to his sudden and purposely-noted-as-unusual insubordination. Now it could certainly just be said that just seeing the slaughter of the village awoke something in him, but Phasma, Hux, and Ren talk as if something like this is rather unheard of, so I want to think there's something more going on than just him having a pang of conscience in a dark moment. I also mentioned in the spoiler thread that Maz being so willing for Finn to hold on to the lightsaber might also be another hint that he's Force sensitive. She's not a Jedi but she feels the Force, and although she clearly wants Rey to have it, she gives it Finn with pretty much no pause, and doesn't even seem to mind that he displays a complete lack of knowledge of what it even is. She has to tell him its a weapon. Yet she entrusts him with it. Again yes, after Rey balks at it, but still, its something important and dangerous that she could have just entrusted to Han, and then in turn Leia, until Rey was ready for it. Instead she gives to, essentially, a noob.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-24-2015 at 09:00 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El