Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    I am sorry is this not an action movie with wish fulfillment little girls can get a character like that in Rey (who has the skills handed to her who everyone loves and is the best at everything) but Black People should be happy getting a "regular guy" who loses all his fights, has no skills and ends the movie in a coma, GTFO. I role my eyes and it anyone who loves Rey but then spouts BS arguments for why its okay for Finn to lose all the time, be the butt of jokes, and have no skills. Luke was an Everyman who was good at piloting and hitting small targets while doing that he got his buttkicked for most of the movie but finally got one awesome moment to hang his hat on....Finn is an Everyman who never gets a single awesome moment and is around as a foil to make Rey look great.

It still doesnt work well for me without the Force or some background about why said trooper painting his face snapped him out of it...programming from a super young age shouldnt break so easily but of course JJ explains nothing.
    Exactly.

Star Wars is an action movie and there's nothing particularly appealing about a character who can't really do anything combat wise (except fire a blaster which apparently everyone can do in the SW universe).

As I've said earlier, i have problems with Finn (especially after seeing it two more times) but as its been pointed out earlier, Episode 8 will be crucial. If it's going to be a case of the black character simply existing to enable the chosen white hero, I'm done with it. This is 2015 (and 2016 in a few hours) the world's different now.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-31-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I don't think a lot of people realize that Finn is the Han of NT (New Trilogy) in that his appeal isn't about feats but his wit/charm.
    I wonder if this mentality that someone has to kick everyone's ass to be a meaningful character is a modern phenomenon.

Guys like Han Solo and Indiana Jones got their asses handed to them more often than not, but they never seemed any less cool for it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I wonder if this mentality that someone has to kick everyone's ass to be a meaningful character is a modern phenomenon.

Guys like Han Solo and Indiana Jones got their asses handed to them more often than not, but they never seemed any less cool for it.
    Good question.

I think it's more about expectations in Finn's case, however. Some thought he was going to be this uber badass Jedi and, when he wasn't, they were disappointed. I didn't go in with any expectations, other than to be entertained and I was. #kanyeshrug

In the original Star Wars, it is Han Solo that takes out Darth Vader. It was not known that the film would have a sequel at the time (though that quickly became obvious).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    In the original Star Wars, it is Han Solo that takes out Darth Vader. It was not known that the film would have a sequel at the time (though that quickly became obvious).
    In addition, Han showed how supremely bad ass he was when he shot Greedo first! (Lucas edits be damned)

Han didn't take out Vader, though.

Han didn't take out Vader, though.
    Within the purposes of the original film (which for my own purposes is all I'm using (along with Episode I) to compare the character arcs within The Force Awakens, since no one outside of the production process is aware of what the story is for Episodes VIII and IX) he does (he shoots down Vader's tiefighter and he goes spinning off into oblivion with no immediate/known assistance).

I just find it weird that people are calling Finn the Han Solo of the franchise when we don't know what Finn (or any of the characters, really) will ultimately become (positive or negative). Then they use examples of Han's treatment outside of Episode IV (almost always using Empire) as examples of how he and Finn are on similar arcs. But in Episode IV, Han shoots Greedo (even with the Special Edition, where he bullet dodges), pilots the Millenium Falcon, has a cool sidekick in Chewbacca, and then he mans up and joins the rebellion at the final hour and his heroism is rewarded as he shoots down Vader, giving Luke the chance to destroy the Death Star. Then he gets a medal.

I don't think a lot of people realize that Finn is the Han of NT (New Trilogy) in that his appeal isn't about feats but his wit/charm.
    SMH....LOL

you guys are hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by el shah View Post
    SMH....LOL

you guys are hilarious
    Right back atcha

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    In addition, Han showed how supremely bad ass he was when he shot Greedo first! (Lucas edits be damned)
    Han didn't shoot Greedo first.
    He shot and Greddo died. No second shot.
    Han murdered Greedo.

Within the purposes of the original film (which for my own purposes is all I'm using (along with Episode I) to compare the character arcs within The Force Awakens, since no one outside of the production process is aware of what the story is for Episodes VIII and IX) he does (he shoots down Vader's tiefighter and he goes spinning off into oblivion with no immediate/known assistance).

I just find it weird that people are calling Finn the Han Solo of the franchise when we don't know what Finn (or any of the characters, really) will ultimately become (positive or negative). Then they use examples of Han's treatment outside of Episode IV (almost always using Empire) as examples of how he and Finn are on similar arcs. But in Episode IV, Han shoots Greedo (even with the Special Edition, where he bullet dodges), pilots the Millenium Falcon, has a cool sidekick in Chewbacca, and then he mans up and joins the rebellion at the final hour and his heroism is rewarded as he shoots down Vader, giving Luke the chance to destroy the Death Star. Then he gets a medal.
    Well,to me, he's Han in terms of personality being his big selling point and the reason so many like the character. But he's sort of a new twist (not a carbon copy) like Rey is for Luke. Like Han, Finn comes from a not so honorable past that he's running from it. Like Han, he's a reluctant hero and starts off helping for purely selfish reasons but stands up for his friends when he realizes how much he cares for them. They both embody the Unlikely hero trope (one's a Storm Trooper and the others a smuggler, neither what on would consider Hero-types.) He's witty and thinks quickly on his feet.

There's a reason Han said "I like this kid" in reference to Finn.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If he isn't a jedi master than some people are just never going to be happy no matter how cool a character he is. That is all on the people complaining and is not the movies fault for not giving them exactly what they want and built up in their heads.

Exactly.

Star Wars is an action movie and there's nothing particularly appealing about a character who can't really do anything combat wise (except fire a blaster which apparently everyone can do in the SW universe).
    Nobody likes that Han Solo guy...

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Nobody likes that Han Solo guy...
    He can't even shoot first.

BANNED

Exactly.

As I've said earlier, i have problems with Finn (especially after seeing it two more times) but as its been pointed out earlier, Episode 8 will be crucial. If it's going to be a case of the black character simply existing to enable the chosen white hero, I'm done with it. This is 2015 (and 2016 in a few hours) the world's different now.
    Would fans really have been happier to see the only major female character simply exist to enable the male hero? Theoretically that could've been solved by making the lead character a black woman instead, but I suspect that neither black male nor white female fans would've been particularly happy about that development, whether they're willing to come out and say it or not.

But hey, at least Asians got upgraded from reptilian Trade Federation goons to dude at Resistance base, so hooray progress!
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 12-31-2015 at 12:29 PM.