Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What did you think of Bendis run on Uncanny X-Men

Ok, first let me say this : Bendis did have some good idea about his story.

Now that it's been said, his writing was really bad : Plot not finished at all or going nowhere expect maybe near the absolute void, no cvoherence at all etc...Let's be honest it's not just about Bendis but before him and execpt Gillen the other writter did noit a good job ? Why is that ? What should we do ? A petition for asking a good story ? A petition against those who are pulling the string( yeah, I think Bendis is just what we see not the real cause of it) of the dark force which are casuing the fall of the mutant ?

What are your thought ?

Please discuss.

I think that, conceptually, BMB had pretty nice ideas for the X books. ANXM would've been great as a mini, but it had no business being an ongoing title which is why it tanked so hard in quality after BOTA. His UXM might be the most disappointing book ever for me, especially after all the work Gillen put in and that amazing Bachalo cover for UXM#1. Considering nothing of note happened at all in that run, Cyclops had Magneto violently break him out of prison just to stage a nonviolent protest in Washington. Not a single character was developed in that run, even his pet Eva.

He catches flak for what he did to Beast but in reality that ship set sail with Fraction, then Aaron. Bendis took it to the max, but hey, someone had it out for Beast in the X-office YEARS ago. Ultimately, I think the main reasons his X-run sucked so hard were both in and out of universe-- Marvel pulling him back towards more lucrative projects, and Bendis appearing to believe that EVERY character has to sound and quip exactly like ultimate Peter Parker.

Incredible Member

To answer the question in the title of your post, shouldn't we all be judged by our works? Bendis wrote the words we read (well luckily I didn't read), why would we not judge him based on his own words?

Authors and artists are responsible for their entire oeuvre, good and bad. Take the whole. Remember circumstances. Add it all up.

BANNED

Given the caterwauling the mere mention of his name elicits in a sizable part of the population of this board, he already is (and continues to) being judged here everyday.

Gillen should have been given the reigns after AvX. It's sad that Bendis destroyed a lot of interesting concepts Gillen built.

Extraordinary Member

My dissatisfaction with the X-Franchise started long before Bendis so my judgement of him has nothing to do with him ruining the X-Men: but he ruined the X-Men. Not because of any specific direction he took with any of the characters, I could care less that he tried to portray Cyclops as fanatical or Beast as, whatever he was going for there, or that just about every other character who had a character became a talking head (I already had a sense of that from the occasional Avengers books I read). No, he ruined them because he did absolutely nothing with two 'flagship' books for the 2-3 years he was on them.

His so-called ideas? The O5 coming to the future was not his idea. Revolutionary mutant leader, also not a new idea. I really do not know what ideas to give him credit for, these guys go on retreats and yell ideas at each other all day, all that counts is the story that gets written. Apparently he has all sorts of praise for other stuff, and I will not bother to argue whether he really deserves it, just in this matter his X-Men run, his written work, should be judged as a low point in X-Men history.

BANNED

Pretty sure threads like these aren't allowed...

...but, what? You want him fired or something for producing something you didn't like?

Well, I've only read Bendis' X-Men s that's all I can judge him on. And based on that I'd say that he is a terrible writer. Before he came started on the x-books i didn't really know what to expect and hearing all the stuff I knew that he was going to be a polarizing writer regardless of what he did. After reading the first couple of issues from him I was rather optimistic that I would actually enjoy his run. But then after couple more issues I started to realize that the books were just spinning their wheels and not really going anywhere. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and I stuck around until BotA. I wish I hadn't. I've never felt as conned as I did after paying for all of those comics that comprised the whole BotA story. After that I immediately dropped both UXM and ANXM and I haven't regretted that decision once.

Bendis' X-Men run was probably the worst X-Men run ever. It was tedious, boring and pointless! It wasn't good or exciting and it wasn't even a so bad it's good like some other X-Men runs people seem to hate that I love for their stupidity. But yeah, I'm judging Bendis based purely on his X-Men run and whether someone considers it fair or not I can only say that I'm never picking up a Bendis book again. That's how unprofessionally bad his X-Men run was to me. It honestly felt like he didn't even try to give a f*ck after the first few issues. And if a writer doesn't give a f*ck then why should the readers?

However I'll say this, I know that he isn't to blame for this alone. X-Men books have been mediocre at best and awful at worst for a while now and that's because no one higher up at Marvel really seems to give a f*ck about them anymore and that's not going to change any time soon.

Bendis is looked at as one of the worst X-Men writers that were the main writer of the franchise. His run was a major disappointment. The only reason why I am hesitant to call his run the worst of all time is because he had amazing artists on his books. Maybe the best the X-Men has ever had. Those artists are what carried his run, imo. Still, judging him just on his writing and ideas I don't see how anyone can be satisfied with what he did. It was a complete mess. Clearly he did not enjoy his time on the X-Men which is why he left fairly quickly.

It's a shame Gillen wasn't allowed to do more with the X-Men and given the main writer position. I'm amazed his run was as good as it was given he had to do with AvX happening at the same time.

Fantastic Member TheForbiddenOne's Avatar

I think overall bendis' UXM run was good. I skipped some of the middle parts but the beginning was real good and so was the ending issues(In particular I enjoyed the issues high lighting what different characters did after the team was disbanded.

His ANXM run started out well but fell flat because he thought Jean Grey was strong enough to be the linch pin of the team, nevermind the fact he didn't actually make her a likable character. That with adding X-23 and the Guardians of the Galaxy just turned me off from the whole thing. I didn't even read the final issue like I typically do. Given that he had the helm of the two flagship books I think we should have gotten more out of it.

But in comparison to the Crap Aaron was writing Bendis' worked seem pretty good.

I enjoyed both, arguably I had to wait longer to get UXM as I was picking that one up in trade. But I really did like All New X-Men, but I do agree that he was trying to tread ground of people that came before him. Or at least he was trying to use ideas from people that came before him, the Guardians of the Galaxy crossover "The Trial of Jean Grey" was ok, as I was a reader of the GoTG book I got into it. The Black Vortex and the end of his run on All New was pretty awful though, The Black Vortex especially.

Since ANAD started though, looking back at All-New and UXM from Bendis has made me question why I didn't drop the book sooner as towards the end of the run I think I felt that I wasn't enjoying it as much (specifically ANXM). It just made me think that Bendis had a plan all the way to Black Vortex, then he was going to wing it before Secret Wars.

EDIT: Just realised that The Black Vortex was written by Sam Humphries, so ignore all that bit.
    Last edited by adameastment; 12-28-2015 at 08:26 PM.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

I liked his run.

I actually liked Bendis' run. Except for the end when it just dragged only to be cut short.

BANNED

I agree with those that have said that Gillen should have been allowed to continue his run. And I also think Bendis along with Aaron and Austen were the worst x-writers we've had