Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pleasant surprises of All-New All-Different books

What books have you been pleasantly surprised with in the All-New All-Different books so far? Books that have exceeded your expectations or that you hadn't expected to pick up at all but checked out because of previews or reviews.

For me it's been All-New Wolverine and Spider-Woman. I hadn't planned on picking up either, but found their previews intriguing enough to check out. Now I'm hooked on both and eagerly anticipate following their stories. Taylor and Hopeless have a great sense of their respective characters and are telling appropriately logical character-driven stories.

I'm hoping that my two most anticipated books, Black Widow and Mockingbird fare as well!
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Mighty Member

The Vision. I have never liked the character, but this is very good.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

The books who are surprising me a lot in a good way are Vision, Angela: Queen of Hel, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Silk, Ant-Man, Ultimates, Sam Wilson: Captain America, Dr. Strange, Thor, Totally Awesome Hulk and Weirdworld.

It´s probably that I will try on next months, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Spider-Woman, Mockingbird and Black Widow.

There were plenty of books I was confident I'd like. But the ones I was surprised by their high level of quality were:

All-New & Uncanny Inhumans
    Carnage
    Hercules
    Karnak
    Ultimates
    Vision

Niffleheim

Uncanny Inhumans and All New Inhumans. Love them.

I thought I was done with Thor after the revelation but alas! i still care about the story being told in Thor and that is thanks to the continuation of Malekith the Accursed's story since his escape from the Halls of Nastrond.

BANNED

Of the ones I've read,

Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, Ultimates and Scarlet Witch.

Vision
    Ms Marvel
    Ultimates
    Uncanny Inhumans
    Carnage
    Wolverine

These are all books that I thought I would read once and be done with them. They've been great. I love Conway so I was really hoping Carnage would be good, but I had my doubts that anyone could write a successful ongoing with ol' Cletus.

Astonishing Member

Good surprises
    Doc Strange
    Iron Man
    Karnak

Negative surprises aka disappointments

Squadron Supreme.
    The Avengers books. Not bad but not worthwhile
    Amazing Spidey. Looking forward to creative change.

The Vision for sure. This was a book I had absolutely no interest in and had low expectations, but I gave it a shot and read it out of boredom one day. As of right now, it is the ongoing Marvel comic that I like the most. I love the dark humor of it and the mood that Tom King established.

Next for me is All New Wolverine. X-23 is one of my favorite characters, but I absolutely loathe what Bendis reduced her to. I had really low expectations of this title as I fully expected Laura to remain in the Bendis style characterization. The first few previews of ANW were not promising, either. However, I have warmed to this title considerably. Though there are some moments where Taylor really misses the mark, for the most part he's done an excellent job with Laura's characterization. She's sounding more like she's supposed to and that alone makes it worth reading. Also, I love the art.

Uncanny Inhumans and All New Inhumans have been a pleasant surprise. I always enjoyed the Inhumans but I didn't know what to expect with either title. I really like the art and the stories are interesting, however. Karnak is the Inhuman book I like the most, though. I did have high expectations going in because it was written by Ellis, and he hasn't disappointed. Karnak, though there's only one issue out, takes my #2 for best current Marvel book after Vision.

Carnage is another one that I had high expectations of and it has not disappointed. Carnage is one of my favorite characters and I'm happy to say the book is doing him justice.

I didn't expect to like All-New Wolverine since I really disliked Superior Iron Man, but it's been great so far.

All New Wolverine. I liked Laura back in her early days, up through Yost's X-Force but since then it has seemed like she got all emo and whiny (more than she already was). And I am not a fan of that yellow-blue costume either. But the book has been pretty solid so far. Honestly, if my wife didnt like it as much as she does I'd just trade wait it, but whatever, it's good.

Invincible Iron Man is the big one though. I have a love-hate relationship with Bendis (I love his first year on a title and then begin to hate it) but so far his Iron Man is tons of fun. I nearly passed on it for the reason mentioned above (and I dislike the armor design) but its one of my favorite titles around right now. How long that will last, who can say? But right now Im digging it a lot more than I expected.

Doc Strange has been a weird surprise. After his stuff with Thor the last thing I expected from Aaron was to write Strange like the magic version of Tony Stark. And I cant say I care for it. But at the same time, the concepts he's using are fun and interesting, so this book is sort of a paradox for me right now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm loving Vision and Sam Wilson Captain America.

Amazing Member

Biggest surprise for me was Carnage. Reminds me of Alien and while I knew what it was about, I didnt see that type of atmosphere there.

Another one I am enjoying is Black Knight

BANNED

So far, the three biggest surprises for me have been Vision, Sam Wilson: Captain America and All-New Wolverine.

Vision is just brilliant so far and so different from anything else out there.

Cap is just classic superhero fare. I knew I liked Spencer's writing from Superior Foes of Spider-Man and Ant-Man but I wasn't sure how he'd do away from the types of 'lovable losers' that populate those books so it was a cool surprise to see how effortlessly he's been able to handle Sam's adventures without losing his own distinctive voice.

And AN Wolverine was going to be a skip for me. Too many books, too little money and I'm just not a particularly huge fan of X-23 but on a whim I gave it a shot and absolutely loved it.

I would say that the Inhumans books have been a surprise but as I was already a fan of what Soule was doing with them before, I'm really not that surprised that they're two of the best books Marvel is putting out right now.

Vision. big fan of the character but i wasn't crazy about the whole notion of him creating a family when he already has an extensive existing family.
    All New Wolverine. never been a fan of Wolverine. Laura never grabbed me either, but i am enjoying this book.
    New Avengers has been a lot of fun. i like the mix of characters.
    Dr Strange is fantastic. Aaron is hit or miss with me but this is a big hit.