Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The Vision is the only new title which succeeded in clicking my enthusiastic mode button so far!

For me it's definitely all new wolverine, I'm genuinely surprised by the quality so far and it's by far the book I'm enjoying most.

Hmmm this is a tough question. A lot of the books that im pulling I wasn't originally interested in and there's also a few titles that are out that I haven't gotten in the mail yet (starbrand/nightmask and squadron supreme) so I cant include those on here yet. most of what ive enjoyed so far have been surprise hits for me so ill include my top 3:

1. Totally Awesome Hulk - I had no interest in this concept when it was first announced. the title adjective was (and still is) off-putting and I didn't know much about Amodaeus Cho. Plus I haven't found any recent hulk storylines engaging at all. But I decided to try it after reading the preview and reviews, and I was blown out of the water. Based solely on issue #1, this is my favorite new series so far.

2. Web Warriors - I fell off from amazing spider-man during the spiderverse story due to lack of interest and never went back to it, so I had no interest in the SW tie-in or this (initially). Once I saw the concept and art for this book in the early previews I was hooked. The premise is actually really cool, and the art is fantastic. it almost gives me the same feel as your Saturday morning hero cartoons. I even went back and got the SW tie in and will likely get the spiderverse event hardcover in the near future.

3. Invincible Iron Man - Somehow the ANAD flagship title has been a sleeper hit in my eyes. between the hit or miss nature of Bendis and recent failed attempts at MCU-ing Tony, I had little hope for this series but always planned to pick it up since its a core title. it has surpassed my expectations in every way, from the inclusion of Dr. Doom and the way that he is being used to MJ's hilarious entrance in issue #4. I have two concerns for this title however. those are that this and international will suffer from the same separation anxiety that Uncanny and All-New X-Men suffered from or that bendis will ruin his own hot streak on the title once it starts becoming a civil war (comic not movie) prologue

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Karnak was a bit of a let down. I was excited because I couldn't imagine it being bad, but it doesn't feel as good as it could have been.

I also couldn't get into the first few issues of Ant-Man last year, but this one seems a little funnier.

I'm excited to see a new wave of people pouring in and talking up The Vision when the first issue is a free reprint. As for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I was gonna buy avengers just for him, so this is great.

The creative team is a dream, and I'm already impressed with how good Walta made him look because I hated that costume.

First J'onn, now Vizh!

The problem with Karnak is the wait for issue 2. I hate comic book delays - but I'm an impatient person.

The one that surprised me was Angela: Queen of Hel. Glad I picked up - it's a fun read.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I'm on the fence about Karnak also.
    But I was pleasantly surprised by a few titles that I didn't expect to like:
    Vision
    Moon girl and Devil dinosaur
    Thor
    Doctor Strange
    Sam Wilson Captain America
    Hercules
    I think I may check out Carnage and Wolverine

Good surprises:
    Invincible Iron Man, All-New and Uncanny Inhumans, All New Wolverine, Extraordinary X-Men and All New X-Men to an extent.

Bad Surprises:
    All New All Different Avengers has been the biggest disappointment, after the previous epic Avengers book by Hickman - which in my opinion was the best book I've read this avengers title was really lacklustre.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

Hercules
    Ultimates
    Squadron Supreme

Mighty Member

Hercules was good, but I prefer the Greg Pak/Valente vision, with Amadeus Cho. For me, Hercules is not a brooding hero, he is more like "Barney" from How I met your Mother: He can be childish, he can be insufferable, but at the end he will always do the right thing. And I don't like the trope "oh see, everybody think he is loser although he saved earth multiple times, but he will show them this time !" I had the same problem with the Aquaman of Geoff Johns (even if it was the best aquaman story since ages).

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Hercules was good, but I prefer the Greg Pak/Valente vision, with Amadeus Cho. For me, Hercules is not a brooding hero, he is more like "Barney" from How I met your Mother: He can be childish, he can be insufferable, but at the end he will always do the right thing. And I don't like the trope "oh see, everybody think he is loser although he saved earth multiple times, but he will show them this time !" I had the same problem with the Aquaman of Geoff Johns (even if it was the best aquaman story since ages).
    You know, that reminds me, even though I like it, Hercules and Gilgamesh could lighten up, and I don't like their landlord.

Astonishing Member

Co sign on the Cho love. Really good book.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Nick Spencer's non-comedic work never really did anything for me, but Sam Wilson: Captain America is really good! It makes me wish that Spencer and Acuña were the ones writing Sam as Cap from the beginning.

I picked up Carnage #1 fully expecting it to be a mess, but it was actually pretty interesting. It has a cool angle on the way it approaches Carnage, and Mike Perkins' art has a much grittier texture to it than usual that actually works. It's not revolutionary, but it was definitely a surprise.

I've picked up all the number ones so far, giving everything a fair shot. Most of the things I thought I would enjoy and continue to pick up did that, and most that I thought would bore me or rub me the wrong way did just that as well. As far as surprises, there's only a few.

Vision. Never cared for the character, but this book is just...fantastic. Fully on board with the direction, this book as become one of the ones I look forward to the most.

Hercules. Loving the mythology angle. Herc could lighten up, but as long as they keep going with the mythology push, I'm sold.

Hellcat. I never cared for Patsy Walker in the comics, but I LOVED Trish Walker in Jessica Jones. This...is as far away from that as I can imagine. But I loved it. We're only one issue in, but hopefully it keeps up the quality!

All New All Different Avengers needs to kick it up a notch. It would be passable, but with that creative team, I expect a little more. I have full confidence that it will, but I'm not going to pretend I'm not a little disappointed. But no where near as disappointed as I am with Uncanny Avengers. That was probably the book I was looking forward to the most. Could not be less interested in what's going on. I'm sure other people are liking it just fine, it's just not my cup of tea at all.

Mighty Member

Uncanny Avengers. Only picked up the first couple of issues for my Brother Voodoo fix. But Deadpool has actually been funny (which almost never works for me), the new bad guy is intriguing. Oh, and they brought back Cable, my favorite X-character. So in here.

Sam Wilson, Captain America. I gave this one a shot because I have an uninterrupted run on Cap since Brubaker started on it. And I'm glad I did. It hits some classic notes, and it does such a better job of giving Sam a unique voice as Cap than Remender's brief turn did. Also, the art is amazing.

Mighty Thor. I was all set to drop this after disliking the last volume. But actually getting inside Jane's head now that we know it's her under the helmet makes all the difference, as it turns out. What a wild swing in quality, considering it's the same writer. Aaron wins me back this round. But I'm still waiting to see what he comes up with to explain Odinson's worthiness dilemma. Bet you a shiny quarter it's dumb...

BANNED

Bad Surprise:

Doctor Strange: The book is a poor excuse for a movie tie-in. It doesn't feature Stephen Strange, rather Magic Tony and it's more focued on "ermegherd, quirkiness" than it is on telling an actual story. I'm pulling it because I have to support the first Strange book in decades, but I don't like it. At all...