Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Swamp Thing #1

Swamp Thing returns in an all-new series written by his co-creator, legendary writer Len Wein! Swamp Thing has received an ominous warning, and now he finds himself under attack from the forces of dark magic. These are more than just your average monsters-and there's something much worse looming on the horizon for Alec Holland!

Full preview here.

I might have to pick this one up.

I like the art...but the writing, kinda too old school for my taste

Is this in continuity? Looks like Swampy is reset to be a simple swamp monster again

Spectacular Member

I really want to like this. And as much as I love Len Wein for creating Swamp Thing I've never really liked his story-telling. It has an old school quality to it. I only ever started reading Swamp Thing because of Alan Moore's writing and the continual evolution of the character into the Green and mythic notions of his being an elemental/green man. I know there are many ways to write the character but, for me, I'd take more and more of Soule's approach with stories involving the different "kingdoms" and elementals. I'd also love to see the inclusion or acknowledgment of a "City Kingdom" with Jack Hawksmoor as a "god/avatar" as used in Stormwatch. But I'm sure I'm dreaming with that one. But we'll see what Wein has up his sleeve.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

That artwork! Jones has still got it!
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Spectacular Member

I guess I'm the only one who likes Len's run more than Moore's. Can't wait for the trade.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Thrasher View Post
    That artwork! Jones has still got it!
    I've always loved Jones's artwork, especially Swamp Thing #100 when Swamp Thing went to a version of the Garden of Eden. The designs on those Angels were amazing.

BANNED

It looks they are bringing Swampy back to his horror roots. I wonder how long Wein has been itching to do another Swamp Thing story.

It certainly has an old school quality, but it's not overbearing like some modern Claremont comics. But I do like Len Wein and his is Swamp Thing comics from the 70s are fantastic. Swamp Thing is one of those more obscure characters who tends to be blessed with quality and it really started with the Wein run. Definitely looking forward to this.

For those who think it is old school horror, read the last page of the preview. I think Len is having a little fun and throwing a change-up.

I re-read the original ST series a couple months back and really enjoyed it but I'm undecided re: whether to pick this series up. I may give the first issue a try and go from there.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Can't wait to read this mini-series. I miss Swampy since his previous series ended.

the preview had me intrigued but not 100% sold. im going to give this a shot though because i thought the converenge swamp thing issues were gorgeous and the story was bearable. a little bump up in wein's quality of writing and this could be fantastic.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Tales of the Batman Len Wein is saving my holidays. Nice nostalgic stuff

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

Yeah it's great. I love the creators & I love the character a lot too. This project totally has an old school feel to it & it's awesome.
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984