Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default Aspiring writers & professional daydreamers: if DC accepted fan submissions, what would your submission(s) be?

Unfortunately, DC doesn't accept unsolicited writing submissions. But if they did, what's the one story (or group of stories) you'd place your best shot on? It would no doubt have to be about a character or set of characters you know extremely well, and give an angle creative and different enough that it stands out. I'm not really asking what you think you could create that DC needs in the current climate per se, but rather what story you think would grip a reader enough for them to give you a call back.

Writing a comic book story arc is something I'd like to accomplish just for fun out of my love for the characters. I don't think I'd get published, but it's fun to think about and I'd like to think what I come up with is something that other fans/readers could relate to and appreciate. My most recent idea is a Justice League story where the antagonist(s), whoever they end up being, try to destroy the league not by external attack but by internal implosion, preying on and manipulating the existing personality clashes and vulnerabilities of each character so that it caves in on itself. Not necessarily driving them to hate each other, but making their personal priorities shift and cause conflict with their commitments and each others' priorities.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Simple,the Justice Society of America and Stormwatch (the original) Wildstorm version. I would try to bring them together on one earth together but it would not be a simple task the only thing easy would be the decision.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

I would propose a dcu reboot. I would use the reboot to turn all the gods into weak aliens so that most characters and heroes in the dcu will not be too powerful. The only powerful god left can be the god of Spectre. All the alien gods can use boom tubes to get to earth including the baby Superman. Since the kryptonians are no longer too powerful, can have more kryptonian survivors in New Krypton, phantom zone, etc. and kryptonite can be an energy source similar to the energon of Transformers. If they don't want to use boom tubes, both Superman and the Lanterns can use space ships. Can just say humans and human looking aliens are somehow related so can have more alien races including Kherubim and Daemonites who can use boom tubes to get to earth. New gods, greek gods, etc are just aliens so they can also use boom tubes to get to earth.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 12-25-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    I would propose a dcu reboot. I would use the reboot to turn all the gods into weak aliens so that most characters and heroes in the dcu will not be too powerful. The only powerful god left can be the god of Spectre. All the alien gods can use boom tubes to get to earth including the baby Superman. Since the kryptonians are no longer too powerful, can have more kryptonian survivors in New Krypton, phantom zone, etc. and kryptonite can be an energy source similar to the energon of Transformers. If they don't want to use boom tubes, both Superman and the Lanterns can use space ships. Can just say humans and human looking aliens are somehow related so can have more alien races including Kherubim and Daemonites who can use boom tubes to get to earth. New gods, greek gods, etc are just aliens so they can also use boom tubes to get to earth.
    Those sound more like new rules. What story would you tell?

BANNED

My Submission? Hehe:

Justice League Covert: If the Suicide Squad and X-Force made a baby, you'd get these guys. Steve Trevor creates a new team that isn't associated with ARGUS in any shape or form. This is Steve's side team that no one else knows about. It's consisted of Green Arrow, Katana, Hawkman, Creeper, Peacemaker, Batwoman & Deathblow. If that's not a kickass roster, then I don't know what is. They will take on secret societies, terrorist groups & more. They take on missions that are probably too small for the Justice League, but they are just as dangerous nonetheless.

CAPTAIN CARROT AND HIS AMAZING ZOO CREW!!!

The ZC issues that worked best were the ones that spoofed comic tropes with it's fun likable cast to connect you, and there are SO MANY tropes to make fun of now a days/since the original book came out!!!!
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

THE EXTRAORDINARY ESCAPADES OF THE ELONGATED MAN (AND WIFE)
    Ralph and Sue Dibney in a witty and modern dialogue-driven series inspired by Moonlighting and The Thin Man that targets cozy mystery fans and young adult readers.
    Sue would be a mystery writer and would do most of the legwork while the costumed and powered Ralph would get the credit and become the target of villains.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-26-2015 at 04:59 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    THE EXTRAORDINARY ESCAPADES OF THE ELONGATED MAN (AND WIFE)
    Ralph and Sue Dibney in a witty and modern dialogue-driven series inspired by Moonlighting and The Thin Man that targets cozy mystery fans and young adult readers.
    Sue would be a mystery writer and would do most of the legwork while the costumed and powered Ralph would get the credit and become the target of villains.
    I'd be all over this.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I would do Justice Society of America and do is as a true period piece. Not just using World War II as a backdrop, but tell the history of the years between 1939 and 1951 through the eyes of these masked vigilantes. It'd probably be similar in tone to The Liberty Files, but it would also have a decent helping of James Robinson's The Golden Age and Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron. The history would be as accurate as I can make it, but I don't really feel the urge to make it as unrelentingly dark and gritty as The Liberty Files are.

This is a setting where a gay Alan Scott could be loads of fun to write as it does create some story directions that are unique to the time period. I would also use the Egyptian Doctor Fate as the World War II conflict would take our heroes to North Africa. While popular culture was white washed in the 40s, but the world wasn't. I would attempt to reflect the true diversity of the world, while staying true to the characters (which most of the time does not include keeping them straight or white).

I love history and I love these characters. I could write a true melding of the two for years on end.

BANNED

I wouldn't send an original concept to DC, for obvious reasons. I do have one that I'm working on, called Tales of the Auras. For DC I'd do a reboot of Green Lantern, which can be seen here. If I had my way, I'd write the first 24 issues of all six titles, and after that just The Green Lantern Corps.

https://www.blogger.com/profile/17987982173398078413

Spectacular Member

Swamp Thing discovers a dying Shaman with another foreboding message of doom. He wonders deeper into the Green and discovers the Doctors from the Wildstorm universe exist besides the Parliament of Trees. There is an "Evil" within the Green that is rooted back to the Garden of Eden and Swamp Thing must deal with the corruption, or else, you know just divert another apocalyptic threat to reality.

I planned out an entire three year Wonder Woman run. A major theme is exploring Wonder Woman's connection with the public and their thoughts about the existence of individual who is proof of a pagan religion. The discussions may get a little heavy, but it's something that I thought was a good idea to discuss ever since I saw those protests against her in Justice League Origin. I also have a big re-establishment of her classic rogues and Villainy Inc. I avoid Olympus stuff for the most part because it's a story about people rather than gods. I plan to begin writing it soon for fun. I have many improvements still to make as a writer and this is a way to go about doing so. I also have a creepy Starro invasion story as part of it. Though I'm worried I won't have time to write it because I've got some pretty tough essays for university coming up and they have to take priority (pm me if you are an expert on MNC takeovers :P ). But yeah, my dream is to one day write WW for DC because there are themes I think would be cool to explore.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

BANNED

Oh and I've got two spinoffs embedded in that Green Lantern reboot. One is a for a Spectre series, and another is for a title called Stretchers starring the Elongated Man and Plastic Man.

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    I planned out an entire three year Wonder Woman run. A major theme is exploring Wonder Woman's connection with the public and their thoughts about the existence of individual who is proof of a pagan religion. The discussions may get a little heavy, but it's something that I thought was a good idea to discuss ever since I saw those protests against her in Justice League Origin. I also have a big re-establishment of her classic rogues and Villainy Inc. I avoid Olympus stuff for the most part because it's a story about people rather than gods. I plan to begin writing it soon for fun. I have many improvements still to make as a writer and this is a way to go about doing so. I also have a creepy Starro invasion story as part of it. Though I'm worried I won't have time to write it because I've got some pretty tough essays for university coming up and they have to take priority (pm me if you are an expert on MNC takeovers :P ). But yeah, my dream is to one day write WW for DC because there are themes I think would be cool to explore.
    Sounds really interesting. And especially juicy for her as a feminist icon. There are many conversations she needs to be having with different people in order to understand what it is humanity needs.

Astonishing Member

I have notes for pitches for well over a dozen DC characters, from Aquaman to Wonder Woman. Think I'd do some pretty interesting things with most characters. I'd be most interested in taking a character that needs direction and reinvention, but think directions for Superman and Wonder Woman and Green Lantern are also fairly obvious.

Maybe one day!