Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

I just read the last two volumes of Deathnote. Holy crap! I have 'L, Change the World' and 'Another Note' in my next book order - are they worth it?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I just read the last two volumes of Deathnote. Holy crap! I have 'L, Change the World' and 'Another Note' in my next book order - are they worth it?
    feel like I'm missing something but I was kinda lukewarm on death note. The lack of character development and the non stop exposition dialogue made it kind of a slog to get through.

All-New Member

SO I decided to go back to amazon to get the akira boxset.............. it came in perfect condition with absolutely no protection no newspaper, no air packets, no cardboard protection absolutely nothing. I got lucky. I love this boxset but the quality of the dust jacket paper was terrible other than that I am totally satisfied.

NOW if BERSERK would get the big hardcover treatment it deserves then all would be right in the manga world.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    feel like I'm missing something but I was kinda lukewarm on death note. The lack of character development and the non stop exposition dialogue made it kind of a slog to get through.
    I can understand your point, but to be honest I'm not always looking for character development and depth of plot, sometimes I just want something fun to read However, I loved it right up until Kira's pathetic ending!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I can understand your point, but to be honest I'm not always looking for character development and depth of plot, sometimes I just want something fun to read However, I loved it right up until Kira's pathetic ending!
    I think his ending was fitting, he got what he deserved. I agree that you don't always need character development but this series was quite long but it didn't feel like I was on a journey with them, it felt like I had 2 trips between a hotel and a warehouse and it took absolute ages

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think his ending was fitting, he got what he deserved. I agree that you don't always need character development but this series was quite long but it didn't feel like I was on a journey with them, it felt like I had 2 trips between a hotel and a warehouse and it took absolute ages
    I don't mean what happened to him, I mean his reaction. He showed significant intellect and strength throughout the series and then all of a sudden he is just pathetic, it just felt like too big a switch. Also, that is one of the best descriptions I've seen of a series on here

All-New Member

KODANSHA is replacing any damages akira boxsets free of charge

https://kodanshacomics.com/2017/11/1...x-set-damaged/

Incredible Member

Mine arrived and Vol 6 is slightly miss bound. Also does any one else have really wavy dust jackets from having such a tight fit?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg Nothing bad enough for me to return it but still dampens my joy a touch. That's great that Kodansha is going to take care of all of Amazons destruction on these sets.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

That is to everybody?! I thought it was just if you ordered it directly through them or something

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Mine arrived and Vol 6 is slightly miss bound. Also does any one else have really wavy dust jackets from having such a tight fit?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg Nothing bad enough for me to return it but still dampens my joy a touch. That's great that Kodansha is going to take care of all of Amazons destruction on these sets.
    Mine has the wavy dustjackets as well and the dustjacket for vol.6 is slightly misaligned. Not something that would make me return them but it does temper my enthusiasm a bit. I have now just placed the books on my shelf instead of in the box in the hope that the waviness will undo itself.

So the back of the first volume of the new Akira boxset ends with a ton of blank pages. It looks to be a preview of book 2, anyone else see the same thing?

All-New Member

Yeah that's how it is but I wouldn't say it was a ton it's just a few blanks

The Akira books shouldn't have had dustjackets...they're in a giant box for cryin out loud.

Also it's hilarious that the vol. 1 spine doesn't line up with the rest of them.

Amazing Member

For anyone who missed out on the earlier deals, the Akira boxset is now down a whopping 55% off at Amazon to $89.99.

So pumped for Seven Seas' hardcovers of the original Devilman and Captain Harlock manga. I've always dug Leiji Matsumoto's designs and the animation based on his work, but it's great to actually get the beginnings of a collection of his comics (now if they just do Galaxy Express 999!).