Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Akira Hardcover Box Set listing is up https://www.amazon.com/Akira-Box-Set...n%3A7421485011

Amazon has the release date as October 24th, 2017 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Awesome, thank you Skymason. I didnt realize that the vizbig versions had color pages (I dont think the 3-in-1 version did when I looked through it at my LSC). If you could confirm about the extras that would be great
    Shop didn't have any, I'll post a picture of the table of contents for the Vizbig next time I get a chance so you can check it.

Anyone got a link to where SJ prints their 3-in-1 prints? I was wndering since there's 2 manga I hoped would get the treatment but I've heard nothing on it.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Anyone got a link to where SJ prints their 3-in-1 prints? I was wndering since there's 2 manga I hoped would get the treatment but I've heard nothing on it.
    This is a link to Viz's release calendar https://www.viz.com/calendar/2017/03

What are you looking for specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMason21 View Post
    This is a link to Viz's release calendar https://www.viz.com/calendar/2017/03

What are you looking for specifically?
    Shaman king and Yu Yu Hakusho.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMason21 View Post
    Akira Hardcover Box Set listing is up https://www.amazon.com/Akira-Box-Set...n%3A7421485011

Amazon has the release date as October 24th, 2017 for now.
    This just price dropped to 33% off soo give it a pre-order if your interested.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Shaman king and Yu Yu Hakusho.
    Shaman King got some of its early volumes reprinted not long ago so maybe that has a shot at 3-in-1s, but to my knowledge they haven't reprinted any Yu Yu Hakusho in a long time.

Volume sales or Author popularity seem like the main factors for the 3-in-1s and I don't think the print run of Yu Yu Hakusho did that well. Pretty sure you can still a good number of the volumes on instocktrades still so that isn't a great sign.

edit: Yeah instock still has all the volumes and 8 with viz's old $7.95 price point.
    Last edited by SkyMason21; 02-01-2017 at 03:03 PM.

I can't decide whether to blind buy the box set of Akira or buy the first volume now and see what I think. What is the best current option to start Akira for page count/price?

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I can't decide whether to blind buy the box set of Akira or buy the first volume now and see what I think. What is the best current option to start Akira for page count/price?
    I would give it a try before I drop enough cash for the whole set. i get why the story is so well regarded but it's a weird sci-fi tale. I've only read the first volume. I enjoyed it, but not enough to own.

A lot of libraries have it. You could try it out there. Or have your local library do an interlibrary loan and get it from another one.

As usual, I'm way behind the times but I started Vinland Saga today. I looked into it a while ago but didn't realise until last week that it's by the same guy who did Planetes.

It's always bitter sweet too find a great Japanese series because while they are individually great value per book there is always a tonne of them. I think that's the primary reason I'm really interested in the Akira set when I know nothing about it lol.

As usual, I'm way behind the times but I started Vinland Saga today. I looked into it a while ago but didn't realise until last week that it's by the same guy who did Planetes.

It's always bitter sweet too find a great Japanese series because while they are individually great value per book there is always a tonne of them. I think that's the primary reason I'm really interested in the Akira set when I know nothing about it lol.
    Yeah that's definitely true, but part of it is we get a lot tend to get a lot of series that run weekly or bi-weekly in Japan. A lot of my favorites in the past few years have been Monthly series that are 12 volumes or less. Two of the best short series I've read in the last few years got picked up recently, "Erased" is coming out in 4 hardcovers for us (its 8 regular volumes in Japan) and "Spirit Circle" is 6 volumes.

It's a nice complaint to have though. My 12 Lone Wolf And Cub omnibuses are prized possessions.

Just placed an order for the first massive Vagabond book. I'm a big fan of the novel so shied away for a while but I need a new samurai fix. From what I've read up about the series it apparently focuses on moments that the book often breezes past so I'm looking forward to it.

I've really zoned in on what I want from comics recently. Exclusively buying Japanese, European and truly indie US stuff to the point I'm considering selling all of my DC and Marvel stuff except my true favourites and re-investing in more of the good stuff.

Just finished the first volume of Vagabond and what I was worried about happened. The first two thirds of the book are identical to the novel. Fortunately once Musashi leaves his village things pick up and the focus has shifted away from the original book. The action is important in the novel but is dealt with very quickly and obviously that element can shine in comic form.

I'm going to order volume 2. I expect there will be more overlaps because it's the same story but I'm hoping the focus is on the action and the parts in between are mixed up a bit so I don't know exactly whats on the next page before I turn it.

Just finished the first volume of Vagabond and what I was worried about happened. The first two thirds of the book are identical to the novel. Fortunately once Musashi leaves his village things pick up and the focus has shifted away from the original book. The action is important in the novel but is dealt with very quickly and obviously that element can shine in comic form.

I'm going to order volume 2. I expect there will be more overlaps because it's the same story but I'm hoping the focus is on the action and the parts in between are mixed up a bit so I don't know exactly whats on the next page before I turn it.
    Keep us posted. I read the novel about 6 years ago. I loved it. I stayed away from vagabond because i couldn't find a library that had it and i didn't think i would want to reread it so i didn't want to buy it.

3 New Licensed Series from Vertical-Inc were announced earlier this week at Katsucon. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-manga/.112522. A lot of information is missing so hopefully they include that info in this month's newsletter. I'm glad to see more Nisiosin manga getting picked up, so hopefully "Okitegami Kyouko no Bibouroku" is next on Vertical's list.

New Ongoing Licenses:

"Arakawa Under the Bridge" by Hikaru Nakamura
    Series is 15 volumes, and will be released in omnibus editions (No info on volumes per omni) for $17.95 each starting in November 2017.

"Imperfect Shoujo" (Shoujo Fujuubun) by Nisiosin (Kizumonogatari, Bakemonogatari) and Art by Mitsuru Hattori (Sankarea: Undying Love)
    Series is 3 volumes, and will be released in October 2017 for $12.95

Single Volume Licenses:

"Voices of a Distant Star" by Makoto Shinkai (your name, She And Her Cat)
    This series was previously released in English by Tokyopop. The new Vertical-inc edition will be released in February 2018.

Yen Press announced Print runs for 3 of it's digital licenses http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dail...-print/.113115

New Ongoing Licenses:

"The Royal Tutor" by Higasa Akai.
    Series is ongoing with 7 volumes out in Japan, it has 4 English digital volumes available, and its first print volume will be released in May 2017.

"Kakegurui: Compulsive Gambler" by Homura Kawamoto and art by Tōru Naomura.
    Series is ongoing with 6 volumes out in Japan, it has 3 English digital volumes available, and its first print volume will be released in July 2017.

"Sekirei" by Sakurako Gokurakuin.
    Series has ended with 18 volumes, it has 8 English digital volumes available, and its first print volume will be released in July 2017.

Can anyone help with the Buddha collections? Volume 1 on amazon seems to be half the pages and released years earlier by a different publisher than the next numbered volumes. Is the latest volume 1 OOP and that's why something else appears or was it some kind of rights issue and so changed hands after a few years?