Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member pearlofthepacific's Avatar

Planetes, excellent choice! Attack on Titan....haven't seen the anime because I got so bored with the manga! But that's just me, lots of readers enjoy the fight scenes that just make me start flipping pages faster.

Anybody have an opinion on Monster?
    Saw the volumes in a store today and it looked interesting. At least from my "not traditionally a manga fan" pov.

Gundam The Origin Vol. 1 arrived today. Beautiful book, I've got my fingers crossed that I like it so I can get more lol.

Edit: Gundam was awesome. Loved how it goes back and forth between the forces having the advantage. Keeping the goal of each side simple and allowing the characters to shine and letting the reader get invested without holding their hand is always appreciated. Loads of great characters and designs but I guess I'm one of the only people in the world who didn't already know that ha ha.
    Last edited by Dayle88; 05-25-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Only four chapters in but Planetes is truly exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Only four chapters in but Planetes is truly exceptional.
    I've almost bought volume 1 twice now. But everytime I read the summary it seems so boring. Is it just garbage collectors in space?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I've almost bought volume 1 twice now. But everytime I read the summary it seems so boring. Is it just garbage collectors in space?
    It's about the three main characters who live and work together on a small ship who clean up space debris but it's not a Star Wars type universe, they are full blown astronauts. It's ultra realistic in the sense that every piece of technology is one level above what is going on now, that's just the level that makes space travel and life very accessible. It's brilliantly written and drawn but the stories are also great. It's hard to explain without just telling someone what happens. Collecting giant solar panels and old, unused satellites isn't easy, they aren't picking up takeaway wrappers and Coke cans, but it's not just about that anyway.

Definitely not boring in any way, there's some great action in it and some of the reviews I've read say that all the action of the series takes place in the second omnibus and I'm not even half way through the first yet.

It's cheap enough that it's worth a try, unless you are completely anti-space it's one of those series that's good enough that anyone would enjoy it.

It's about the three main characters who live and work together on a small ship who clean up space debris but it's not a Star Wars type universe, they are full blown astronauts. It's ultra realistic in the sense that every piece of technology is one level above what is going on now, that's just the level that makes space travel and life very accessible. It's brilliantly written and drawn but the stories are also great. It's hard to explain without just telling someone what happens. Collecting giant solar panels and old, unused satellites isn't easy, they aren't picking up takeaway wrappers and Coke cans, but it's not just about that anyway.

Definitely not boring in any way, there's some great action in it and some of the reviews I've read say that all the action of the series takes place in the second omnibus and I'm not even half way through the first yet.

It's cheap enough that it's worth a try, unless you are completely anti-space it's one of those series that's good enough that anyone would enjoy it.
    how many omnibuses the series gonna be altogether? Do we know that?

I think it's just the two, which is a bonus ha ha.

I think it's just the two, which is a bonus ha ha.
    your description sounds interesting and if it's just 2 volumes....

Might cross this with the Darkhorse collected editions since they're distributing them.

Anyway Manga recs again:

20160527_121511.jpg

Ah My Goddess. An oldie but a goodie. Story centers around a college student named Keiichi Morisato who mistakes a call and ends up contacting the Goddess Helpline (Step up your game Thor) and winds up sharing Eternity (or at least a long long time together) with Belldandy (aka Verdandi Norse Goddess of the Present). It's a supernatural romcom as well as a slice of life as Keiichi tries to get closer to Bell while the crazy Deity elements (as well as unusual humans)keep things entertaining.

It's a long series due to some reasons but finished as of two years ago. Currently 48 volumes exist and they are beginning to be rebranded into 3-in-1 omnis. The omni's quite nice and it makes for a decent hand size for carrying around on the go.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

April and May pickups. 2 volumes of One Piece away from being able to binge read all of the Dressrosa Arc. Glad to finally have a physical copy of I am a Hero but a two omnibus volumes a year feels way to slow of a release schedule. Still not happy with the paper quality of the Fairy Tail Master Editions, seeing through the pages when they are laying flat is a joke. But they are cheap so I'll probably stick with them until I catch up to where I stopped reading.
    Tried out Wolfsmund and I don't know if I like it, the lead characters changing every chapter spoilers:
    And dying every chapter
    end of spoilers,made it harder to get into. It did seem to be setting up a story arc, so maybe volume 2 will change my mind.

What is Obsecenity? by Rokudenashiko was an interesting read. It's a memoir about the author's arrests for make art based on her vagina. Art is super simple but it's fun.

20160527_134959[1].jpg20160527_135108[1].jpg20160527_135305[1].jpg
    Last edited by SkyMason21; 05-27-2016 at 07:56 PM.

April and May pickups part 2. Rightstuf had a sale so I caught up on D-Frag and Nurse Hitomi. D-Frag is one of my favorite gag series, and now the volumes are finally ahead of where I had stopped reading a couple years ago.

20160527_135520[1].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMason21 View Post
    April and May pickups part 2. Rightstuf had a sale so I caught up on D-Frag and Nurse Hitomi. D-Frag is one of my favorite gag series, and now the volumes are finally ahead of where I had stopped reading a couple years ago.

20160527_135520[1].jpg
    Good stuff. D-frag is hilarious.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Anybody have an opinion on Monster?
    Saw the volumes in a store today and it looked interesting. At least from my "not traditionally a manga fan" pov.
    A great series in my honest opinion, skillfull writing for adults, a real thriller. Compared to many classics like Akira or Ghost in the Shell..I think Monster holds its own. Go for the perfect editions (9 volumes with each volume collecting 3 tpbs)

Some news catch up:

Vertical Licenses Flying Witch http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-manga/.102389

Flying Witch: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=89687

Digital Manga Inc. Launches new imprint called PeCChi for mature themed manga http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-manga/.102485

Previously these these titles were released under their Project Hentai imprint, which imo was a huge problem. The first three series for this new imprint will be "Princess Lucia" (previously slated for January 2016 under Project-H), "The Secret Akuma-chan", and "Me and the Impish Devil".

Princess Lucia: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=33554

The Secret Akuma-chan: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=53750

Me and the Impish Devil (Kaminomi): https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=52686