Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why do DC/Marvel not reprint sought after Omni’s sooner?

This makes absolutely zero sense to me. The secondary market shows how much people will pay for a lot of OOP Omni’s. DC/Marvel are losing $ by not making these sought after Omni’s available again. Or, am I missing something? I didn’t by UXM vol 3 last year and I choose not to pay crazy $ for it. So, I either pay the crazy $, wait 10 years for it to be released in Epic format, OR I’d gladly pay for 2nd print copy. The crazy posts I’ve seen on FB about Conan are another example. Everyone acts like they won the lottery. Why don’t they just print enough so that they’re readily available for some time to come??

Amazing Member

I don't have a good answer for you but I do share your pain... I've been waiting for a reprint of Acts of Vengeance for ages now. The damn "Acts of Vengeance Crossovers" omni has been sitting collecting dust awaiting my acquisition of the full, original omni and I'll be damned if I'm going to read that thing before I get a reprint of the original.

I've been hoping for Bendis Daredevil reprint myself.Brubaker DD was reprinted,so why not Bendis again?
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

The Lee/Buscema Silver Surfer run is the one Omnibus I REALLY want reprinted. There are others I'd like, but that's the one I'd love to have.

Mighty Member

This may be obvious, but without seeing actual numbers, I'd guess the biggest issue would be profitability. I imagine Marvel would have to order a certain number of units for a printing to make sense financially. Even though there may seem to be a large aftermarket demand, how many sales would that amount to with a large number of collectors in a niche market already owning the material? For example, the Brubaker Omni's were in high demand, and i believe both the volumes initial DM sales were around 900-1000. That seems like a strong number when we consider other releases, but these both ended up remaindered/clearanced as well. So maybe they don't have the staying power initial releases do. Maybe the 1000 people who really want them buy them, and the rest of the units sit. All we can do is speculate on any other sales (retail or otherwise) after these initial numbers afaik. But then we get the Howard the Ducks or this Golden Age Marvel reprint that don't really fit this narrative. So ultimately, who knows?
    Last edited by awayne83; 11-30-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    This may be obvious, but without seeing actual numbers, I'd guess the biggest issue would be profitability. I imagine Marvel would have to order a certain number of units for a printing to make sense financially. Even though there may seem to be a large aftermarket demand, how many sales would that amount to with a large number of collectors in a niche market already owning the material? For example, the Brubaker Omni's were in high demand, and i believe both the volumes initial DM sales were around 900-1000. That seems like a strong number when we consider other releases, but these both ended up remaindered/clearanced as well. So maybe they don't have the staying power initial releases do. Maybe the 1000 people who really want them buy them, and the rest of the units sit. All we can do is speculate on any other sales (retail or otherwise) after these initial numbers afaik. But then we get the Howard the Ducks or this Golden Age Marvel reprint that don't really fit this narrative. So ultimately, who knows?
    I agree, without seeing numbers it’s basically just me complaining. It just seems like the publisher’s have created this seemingly huge secondary market that they don’t benefit from at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    I agree, without seeing numbers it’s basically just me complaining. It just seems like the publisher’s have created this seemingly huge secondary market that they don’t benefit from at all.
    They might benefit indirectly in that high secondary market prices will give readers a greater incentive to buy a book on release, when it's still more reasonably priced. Of course, it could go the other way and drive people out of the Omni market if they think they don't have a good chance of getting something they want, but that doesn't seem to have happened. Yet.

I imagine they both have a system on how many omnibuses they can put out a month which will garner enough sales from
    collectors and not burden the dealer with too many extra books, that would intern force them to lower there purchases
    on omnibuses, which would not be good for the publishers.
    They want to continue bringing new collected material in omnibus format and for that too happen the
    re-printing of in demand previously released material needs to be done logistically.

Just because there's a handful of people willing to pay hundreds of dollars for an out of print Omni, doesn't mean there are hundreds of people willing to buy a new printing at cover price or less. Only when they're sure there is, that's when they go for it.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

You also need to remember that some omnis that are super whales now, took forever to sell out of their first print run. So it might just seem like a gamble to redo that stuff, plus if a book might not sell out then that's a lot of time and money spent especially on the older content which needs either digitising or full recolouring.

Well with xmen back at marvel, inhope the chances for Whedon’s omnibus to be reprinted goes up. It came out in 2009. And damn i want to get it to replace my trades

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    You also need to remember that some omnis that are super whales now, took forever to sell out of their first print run. So it might just seem like a gamble to redo that stuff, plus if a book might not sell out then that's a lot of time and money spent especially on the older content which needs either digitising or full recolouring.
    They are already digitized and recolored though. U dont have to do that again.

Evergreen titles need reprints. They will sell all the time.

Spectacular Member

Marvel and DC could easily collect pre-orders for reprinting any Omnibus or Deluxe Edition. As soon as a fixed number (100? 250? 500?) is reached they could just print that number. Wouldn't that be a win-win for everyone involved?

The omnibus format brought me back to collecting after a 20 year hiatus. I've purchased 40 Omnibus books since July with a relatively even split between Marvel and DC. The problem for me is I've exhausted the Marvel titles that are in print (that I want) and have begun buying DC titles 4 to 1 over Marvel as they are more readily available. I'd buy all of the Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, etc... titles that are now OOP but I'm not paying 3-4x the price on the secondary market. I have a list of titles I'll buy if reprinted, but I tend not to buy later volumes if I can't get the earlier content.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    The omnibus format brought me back to collecting after a 20 year hiatus. I've purchased 40 Omnibus books since July with a relatively even split between Marvel and DC. The problem for me is I've exhausted the Marvel titles that are in print (that I want) and have begun buying DC titles 4 to 1 over Marvel as they are more readily available. I'd buy all of the Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, etc... titles that are now OOP but I'm not paying 3-4x the price on the secondary market. I have a list of titles I'll buy if reprinted, but I tend not to buy later volumes if I can't get the earlier content.
    That's exactly why not reprinting earlier Omnibus editions can and will massively hurt the sales of later Omnibus editions.