Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Preachin to the choir about backlogs. I have so much Usagi to catch up on. And not saying much about the new manga coming in.

I need a whole new shelf.
    I've banned myself from hardcovers at this point, I don't have the space to keep buying and not reading them. I finally bought a tall book shelf for my manga (kept them in boxes, dressers and closets before), but I need a second one already. I'm trying to cut back a little but they keep licensing new series that I want lol.

Also Kimi ni Todoke was a bust. Love the first six volumes but 7-11 fell off really badly for me to the point where if I hadn't already got the books I'd have dropped the series. Now I'm gonna try to power through the rest then figure out what to do with them.

world that hates & fears trudreck's Avatar

i am currently really loving GOODNIGHT PUN PUN and MYSTERIOUS GIRLFRIEND X. does anybody have any recs for (as ueshiba calls his series) ' unidentifiable romance comics ' ??? i am loving the strange & unique quality of these series.

July Haul (incomplete with 8 or so more books coming). Favorite pickups from my pre-orders were A Centaur's Life and 7th Garden. Kei Murayama's work on A Centaur's Life always amazes me. First chaper is a regular slice of life story, second talk about how dinosaurfolk would look and turns into a discussion on why we began to grow longer hair on our heads, third a small botany lesson, then a dimension traveling sci-fi adventure with the MC and her niece. 7th Garden was just a beautiful read, love the art and the mystery of this worlds Angels and Demons seems good.

Picked up the second volume of Wolfsmund, first of Ninja Slayer, and 3 one off books in rightstuf's Vertical Sale. Done with Wolfsmund, story is good but every new character introduced is just there to be brutalized and murdered in extreme fashions. And by the end of volume 2 every recurring character except for 3 are dead, Ninja Slayer was fun, reminded me of Madworld (the Wii game). Over the top jokey narration, tons of gore, and good action scenes. The Gods Lie was my favorite of the one offs so far (haven't read Pink yet). Fun but dark summer love story, it's a quick read but very satisfying.

Kimi Ni Todoke rebounded but not enough that I'll read after I finish 21-24. Main Couple is incredibly dull and anytime they become the focus the book suffers (volumes 7-11). The side characters are the only thing I still like but with their relationships resolved I don't have a lot of fair in the story staying interesting. Author also has some Kubo Tite like ability to stretch out scenes, I swear one chapter had 12 plus pages used for a will they won't they almost kiss scene. Dissapointing because I really loved the first 6 volumes but the author has trouble maintaining any meaningful drama (every relationship problem the main couple has is soooo dumb).

20160722_191221[1].jpg
    20160722_191405[1].jpg
    20160722_191744[1].jpg

Kodansha Comics announces Ghost in the Shell Deluxe Edition http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-manga/.104616

The Deluxe will include Ghost in the Shell 1, 1.5 and 2.

Edit: So I was initially going to mention that it is unclear whether this would be a single Deluxe or a set like Akira. Well Amazon is currently listing it as three separate Deluxe Editions, with 1 and 2 at $30 each and 1.5 at $20.

Deluxe 1 (https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-D...n%3A7421485011)
    Deluxe 1.5 (https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-1...n%3A7421485011)
    Deluxe 2 (https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-D...n%3A7421485011)

Pricing isn't bad but after my Vinland Saga HCs I'm shaky in my belief in the quality of Kodansha's lower price HCs. I will be getting the newest HC release from them this week with Princess Emeraldas ($25 each) and if these are like the Vinland Saga books I may stop buying/recommending HC releases from them (not really including Akira in this because I can't imagine them having poor quality on a $200 HC box set)
    Last edited by SkyMason21; 07-25-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMason21 View Post
    Kodansha Comics announces Ghost in the Shell Deluxe Edition http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-manga/.104616

The Deluxe will include Ghost in the Shell 1, 1.5 and 2.
    Fantastic news. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Ghost in the Shell years ago and I've always wanted to check out the source material. Should be good.

Yen Press licenses "Spirits & Cat Ears" and "A Kiss & White Lily for Her" http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-manga/.104772

"Spirits & Cat Ears" (Kudamimi no Neko) https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=106937

"A Kiss & White Lily for Her" (Ano Ko ni Kiss to Shirayuri o) https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=105053

Both will start February 2017.

Seven Seas Entertainment licenses "The High School Life of a Fudanshi" http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-manga/.105022

"The High School Life of a Fudanshi"(Fudanshi Kōkō Seikatsu) (https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=122178)

Series will start May 30th 2017

Mighty Member

So I've been reading through Mobile Suit Gundam: the Origin and loving it so far. Can someone please explain to a Manga noob what the other miscellaneous Gundam titles are? or how/if they are related? I take it "Gundam" is sort of refers to the genre as a whole, but i was wondering if anything expands on the same Universe of Origin?

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    So I've been reading through Mobile Suit Gundam: the Origin and loving it so far. Can someone please explain to a Manga noob what the other miscellaneous Gundam titles are? or how/if they are related? I take it "Gundam" is sort of refers to the genre as a whole, but i was wondering if anything expands on the same Universe of Origin?
    AFAIK the Origins series is a modern retelling of the story of the original anime, sort of Ultimate Marvel style. No idea about the different series though, not sure if they did anything in this new universe after that or how are the different series like Unicorn and such related.

Ugh, this can get complicated. To put this in perspective, the original Gundam series debuted in 1979, and the most recent series Thunderbolt (2016) is set in the same era. One way to consider it is to compare it to the extended Star Wars universe, except with more alternate universe stories. Further complicating your question is that not all series have a manga counterpart that can be found.

The "main" series of Gundam is typically referred to UC, standing for the "Universal Century" calendar used within the series. Actually, the calendar is often used to denote which series (UC is "main", AC is Wing, FC is G Gundam, After War is X, Correct Century is Turn A, etc.). The various series that I know off the top of my head, in rough chronological order, go:

It should be noted that Origin is basically a cleaned-up and streamlined version of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, with some history added in.

Main Universal Century Timeline:
    Mobile Suit Gundam: the Origin/Mobile Suit Gundam/Mobile Suite Gundam 0079 - covering events prior to and including the One Year War, which is 0079 to 0080.
    MS igLoo & MSigLoo Apocalypse - some of Zeon's R&D work from the first conflict in the One Year War to the end.
    Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt - the newest series, set during the One Year War
    08th MS Team - toward the end, but not the absolute end of the One Year War, covering the UEG fighting one of the last Zeon Earth bases.
    Gundam 0080 - tail-end of the One Year War, covering the events on one of the "neutral" Sides.
    Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory - basically a small story explaining some of the tensions in the next big series, as well as why it happened when it did.
    Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta - the sequel to the original story, that was retold in Origin. Also known as the Gryps War.
    Gundam Sentinel - I.... have no clue. I think Gundam Ecole du Ciel occurs here or before Zeta.
    Mobile Suit Gundam Double Zeta - the sequel to Zeta.
    Char's Counter Attack - a capstone movie concluding the rivalry of Char and Amuro.
    Gundam Unicorn - I think wraps up the conflict started with the beliefs of Zeon Zun Deikun (aka Char's Dad)

Farther in the future, and debatably related -
    Mobile Suit Gundam F91
    Crossbone Gundam
    Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Way farther in the future, or a possible alternate future -
    Turn A Gundam

There are other Gundam series, usually united by a name, that contain their own internally consistent universe, but use the same broad themes of Gundam (as well as something that alludes to the titular mech). These include:

Gundam Wing
    Gundam Wing Endless Waltz

After War Gundam X

G Gundam - aka Gundam done as a Wuxia series, or a superhero show.

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
    Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny

Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE

Gundam Recognista in G

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans

Not to be taken as seriously:

SD Gundam

Gundam Build Fighters - for fans of building the models, and surprisingly decent
    Gundam Build Fighters Try

-------------------------------------------------------

While dated, I feel that both 0080 and 08th MS Squad tell interesting side stories to the main conflict in Origins. After that should probably be Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, and Unicorn. You might be able to skip ZZ, and Zeta does have some compilation movies. I cannot think of any manga versions of the above available, though. Zeta would help with Char's Counterattack, and I think Unicorn would suffer if you were not aware of the various name-drops from the earlier series. Though the newest version of Unicorn, Unicorn RE: 0096, might be trying to fix that with the expanded run times.

Actually, what might be best is to take my approach to the alternate universe series.... Finish Origin, since it is the thing that everything else in the UC timeline builds off of. Then, try and sample other series as they come available, see if you like it, and try to finish one series before starting another. I would suggest reading synopsises(?) of Zeta, ZZ, or Char's Counterattack if you are skipping them just so you have a better understanding of who the various actors are.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Mighty Member

Thanks for such a detailed response. I'll wrap up origin firt and see from there. Im only really interested in written material, so I'll need to see what's available.

Thanks for such a detailed response. I'll wrap up origin firt and see from there. Im only really interested in written material, so I'll need to see what's available.
    Yeah, that's.... that is a lot harder. Please forgive me, I am operating under the impression that you would prefer a copy in English.

There is Tomino's novelization of the Origins timeline, which apparently does differ from the anime, but I do not know how. Most of the other comics I can think of are probably out-of-print....

Of the UC timeline, I can only think of two additional series. Blue Destiny, retelling some Sega Saturn games, and I usually hear decent things about. Ecole du Ciel, which I believe is set a bit after the One Year War. Not certain if the entire series ever came out in the States.

Ecole does contain one of my favorite examples of a Newtype's capabilities. The students/test subjects compete against each other's training data. One of the characters keeps competing against the main characters training data, and while she can beat the main character in real life, the training data wipes the floor with her. Among other things, it keeps suddenly moving far faster than possible. Another character explains it - if you review the training data of going through an asteroid field, the main character is dodging asteroids before she can actually see them (Newtype!). The computer, modeling this, can only express this by having the simulation extreme auto-dodging whenever the targeting reticule gets close.

For the other series, I believe Wing Gundam had a few manga, but they were more recaps of the TV series, and of questionable quality. Gundam SEED Astray was also a manga, a side story to the SEED alternate universe, and considered to be a very fun take. "I have a giant robot. I need a giant sword for it!"
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Viz is starting the release of Moblie Suit Gundam Thunderbolt's manga in November, so that's your best option when you finish Origin. First 3 volumes are listed on amazon.

Vol 1: https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Suit-G...erbolt%2C+Vol.
    Vol 2:https://www.amazon.com/dp/1421592606...=I5HXJZVOMZQ9R
    Vol 3:https://www.amazon.com/dp/1421592614...I25GJUME4OM66A

They aren't hardcovers like Origin but Viz's Signature format is the same size at least.

I realize I'm way late to the party but I'm so glad to see that Viz will be publishing the third part of the Jojonium volumes. Just finished Part 1 and I can't wait to begin Part 2. Some of the most gorgeous manga I own, no question.

Hey everyone, I have been collecting comics for several years now and just recently starting getting interested in Manga. So far based on what I thought I would enjoy and what seemed would really interest me, I have starting collecting:

1. Vagabond Vizbig Volume 1-5
    2. Gundam Origins Volumes 1-4
    3. Vinland Saga Volumes 1-4
    4. One Punch Man 1-2
    5.Nausicaa Valley of the Wind Box Set

In terms of overall first impression of what I have read:

1. The gundam origins are nice books. They have good quality paper and plenty of color pages. I have so far finished the first two volumes. The art is fantastic but sometimes the translation leaves a lot to be desired. It seems overly 'academic' and I have a hard time believing anyone would talk the way the translator makes some of the characters interact. I have heard though this gets better after volume 2

2. I have also started reading the Vagabond Vizbig. The art is phenomenal and I like the characterization so far. I haven't noticed any odd translation issues like I have with the gundam series.

A few things that obviously stands out coming from mainly Western comic collecting (and primarly oversized /deluxe hardcovers):

1. Paper Quality: It threw me back at first, other than the Gundam origin books and Nausicaa, the other series all seem to be on more pulpy newsprint type paper. Once you get used to it, its fine. I will say though the Vinland books seem to have really crappy newsprint/high acidic pulpy paper. I can already see some yellowing on the outside. The only other books I have issues with this are two TPB's from DC: Batman black and white volume 2&3. For the price of the Vinland books, the fact that they cheaped out that much on the paper is off-putting.

2.Size: Not sure what I was expecting but when I first got the Gundam origin books I thought they would be bigger. Now I am used to it and its actually kind of nice to have some smaller books that are easier to read than all my omnibuses/library editions, absolutes, etc...

I think I will focus on collecting the rest of the gundam origins and Vagabond. After that I may continue to collect vinland if I really like the story. I should be getting the One-Punch man books today, and see if I like that as well! I am definitely hesitant of getting into some of the longer series like Beserk. Not sure I want to invest the kind of money to complete a series like that, but at the same time, I am not the kind of collector that always needs to finish a run.
    Last edited by Imperator; 08-12-2016 at 05:51 AM.