Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Has there been any information about the Ghost in the Shell deluxe editions due at the end of the month?
    ?
    Specifically things like, how big are the books? is it the censored version? Is it a limited print run? Do I need to preorder/worry about it going out of stock before I order?
    Amazon has preorders up for all three. They don't go into too many specifics, but they state:

• Definitive new edition supervised by creator Shirow Masamune
    • In the original, right-to-left format with Japanese sound effects for the first time!
    • Brand new bonus content
    • Released simultaneously with deluxe editions of The Ghost in the Shell 1.5 and 2
    Product Dimensions: 7 x 0.8 x 10 inches

I'm hoping that a "definitive" "original" edition means that they won't be censored at all.

Quote Originally Posted by downinthezero View Post
    Amazon has preorders up for all three. They don't go into too many specifics, but they state:

• In the original, right-to-left format with Japanese sound effects for the first time!
    • Released simultaneously with deluxe editions of The Ghost in the Shell 1.5 and 2

I'm hoping that a "definitive" "original" edition means that they won't be censored at all.
    I really hope they will put the english sound effects in smaller font right next to the original ones and not at the end of the book. Who the hell likes that, flipping to the end constantly if you want to know what sound is what?

Quote Originally Posted by downinthezero View Post

They are censored, they answered a question about this back in November on their tumblr.

Q: Hi Kodansha! Will the Ghost In The Shell deluxe edition manga release in 2017 finally be uncensored? Only a small scene was cut before, but any form of censorship is evil! I know you guys care about that stuff. Looking forward to the Right-to-Left format!

A: Actually, we found that the pages you’re asking about were redrawn and replaced at the request of the author. We asked, but he does not want them added to our hardcovers.
    http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/pos...e-shell-deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I really hope they will put the english sound effects in smaller font right next to the original ones and not at the end of the book. Who the hell likes that, flipping to the end constantly if you want to know what sound is what?
    The former is generally how most Kodansha stuff I own displays it. Not 100% it will be the same since they are placing the Japanese effects as one of the key features but it's probably how they will display it.

Fantastic Member

got my first manga on order...the 2 volumes of Planetes. It's going to take me a while to get used to reading right to left.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMason21 View Post
    The former is generally how most Kodansha stuff I own displays it. Not 100% it will be the same since they are placing the Japanese effects as one of the key features but it's probably how they will display it.
    for some reason I thought it's still at Dark Horse. I really hope they will put the english text next to the Japanese fx, it doesn't ruin the art or the composition at all IMHO but makes it a much better read.

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    got my first manga on order...the 2 volumes of Planetes. It's going to take me a while to get used to reading right to left.
    maybe it's different for everyone, I'm not really a manga reader but read a few and never had a problem. I don't eve notice it anymore when I start a manga after a western comic it comes as second nature. Don't worry.
    What's more distracting is the dialogue placement and how it's broken up, sometimes they have problems creating a natural flow with the weirdly shaped balloons or just filling up multiple balloons with only a short sentence.

Incredible Member

They are censored, they answered a question about this back in November on their tumblr.

http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/pos...e-shell-deluxe
    Thats a shame and from the sounds of it makes it unlikely the uncensored edition will ever get reprinted.

What about the Akira Boxset? Have we got a more specific release date for that yet?

Thats a shame and from the sounds of it makes it unlikely the uncensored edition will ever get reprinted.

What about the Akira Boxset? Have we got a more specific release date for that yet?
    Honestly I don't mind if it was the authors request and he redraw it himself. I remember looking it up once and the nudity seemed a bit out of place anyway.
    Reading the ghost and the lady currently and that has some awkward nudity as well. Feels like the story doesn't really need it.

maybe it's different for everyone, I'm not really a manga reader but read a few and never had a problem. I don't eve notice it anymore when I start a manga after a western comic it comes as second nature. Don't worry.
    What's more distracting is the dialogue placement and how it's broken up, sometimes they have problems creating a natural flow with the weirdly shaped balloons or just filling up multiple balloons with only a short sentence.
    Same, I read Korean comics, manga and western stuff pretty much every day and it doesn't really bother me. Poor paneling throws me off the most.

Nope, nothing yet. Amazon has already started adding November book listings, so unless it pops up soon it might not be out until next year. Though some things get listed very close to there release date or take forever to get listed. If I'm remembering correctly it took over a year for the first Blade of the Immortal omnibus to be listed after the announcement.

for some reason I thought it's still at Dark Horse. I really hope they will put the english text next to the Japanese fx, it doesn't ruin the art or the composition at all IMHO but makes it a much better read.
    It should be, every publisher except for Viz (they do full english replacement everytime) does it like that now.

The Gundam Origins books have a little star with a footnote for the translation of the effect don't they? I think that's a decent way of doing it. Keeps the page as it should be and has a translation. Best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    The Gundam Origins books have a little star with a footnote for the translation of the effect don't they? I think that's a decent way of doing it. Keeps the page as it should be and has a translation. Best of both worlds.
    no they have the english sound fx right next to the original, on the art but in a smaller font. I would make a photo but they are sitting really tight on the shelf with gunplas in front of them but here is one where you can see them on a few panels:

Incredible Member

Has anyone picked up the new 3-in-1 editions of Rurouni Kenshin by viz? Is there any difference between them and the older VIZBIG editions? The old ones were quite taller with a thicker cover (like the Inuyasha vizbigs) while the newer editions look like the one piece, bleach, dragonball 3 in 1's. I want to pick the manga up but want to know if theres any major differences between the 2 versions?
    Last edited by JAG2045; 01-22-2017 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Has anyone picked up the new 3-in-1 editions of Rurouni Kenshin by viz? Is there any difference between them and the older VIZBIG editions? The old ones were quite taller with a thicker cover (like the Inuyasha vizbigs) while the newer editions look like the one piece, bleach, dragonball 3 in 1's. I want to pick the manga up but want to know if theres any major differences between the 2 versions?
    I didn't pick up the new 3-in-1 edition (just got the vizbigs) but the page counts are similar. Major difference are probably no color pages (first 20 pages of the vizbig are all in color) and cheap paper.

I think my LCS got them in so if I see them I'll check to see if the extras are the same.

Incredible Member

I didn't pick up the new 3-in-1 edition (just got the vizbigs) but the page counts are similar. Major difference are probably no color pages (first 20 pages of the vizbig are all in color) and cheap paper.

I think my LCS got them in so if I see them I'll check to see if the extras are the same.
    Awesome, thank you Skymason. I didnt realize that the vizbig versions had color pages (I dont think the 3-in-1 version did when I looked through it at my LSC). If you could confirm about the extras that would be great