Amazing Member

Default The Superman Files

Has anyone else read this? I received it as a gift for Christmas and just finished reading it. What a great overview of the Pre-Flashpoint Superman's life, and it really does its best to make any potential conflicts from various retcons fit in line with each other.

Just looking to discuss this book with others.

I got it last year. It is really good. It sums up the Crisis Superman perfectly. ( side note. The Superman from 86 to 2011 i have dubbed Crisis Superman.)

Its a great companion piece. I've been using it to help me create the Ultimate Chronology of Crisis Superman.

I love how the book is told through the eyes of Brainiac 5. They also threw in a couple of neat pieces of new to me art.
    I love how it appears to be a scrap book, but is one continuing story.

I would say go get it if you haven't yet.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It seems odd, however, that they would release it AFTER that version is no longer canon. Sort of like releasing a history of the pre-Crisis Superman in 1987 or 88.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It seems odd, however, that they would release it AFTER that version is no longer canon. Sort of like releasing a history of the pre-Crisis Superman in 1987 or 88.
    Maybe they were working on it before the reboot, or maybe they just really like this particular version of the character.

Astonishing Member

I'd have settled for all the Who's Who pages they had referred to but then dropped referring to that Superman. It's the same way that much as I love my Great Superman Book and Superman Encyclopedia- I really wish there had been something similar that had covered the Bronze Age better.

As for the timing it could also be that those working on the book were well into development with no warning the new 52 was coming when it hit. The book seems like a nice bone to toss the "former" fans in retrospect.

Amazing Member

Yeah, if anything I think it makes sense that this came out after Flashpoint. There were no more revisions being done to this Superman's history, and at the time no new entries were needed.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Bought this about a month ago for $20. Haven't got to it yet but really looking forward to it. Looks like a very, very solid hardcover.

Incredible Member

Thank you guys for speaking about the book. I was not aware of it existence. Having Batman files in my possession (super great book btw), I just bought Superman files on Amazon. Looking forward to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Maybe they were working on it before the reboot, or maybe they just really like this particular version of the character.
    This kind of supports the theory that the reboot was kind of just dropped in DC's lap from WB higher ups. And the fact that the door was closed on that particular version means that it can be a "complete" history.

So THIS is the book, right?:

but a quick scouring of the internet shows this result for the inside:

That's clearly the New52 version of Supes & Co in there.

Is this an incorrect scan? Or does THE SUPERMAN FILES cover more than just the Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint Superman?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Is this an incorrect scan? Or does THE SUPERMAN FILES cover more than just the Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint Superman?
    The book is written as if it is a history of the Pre-Flashpoint Superman being written 1000 years in the future and as it ends it makes a brief mention of the effects of Flashpoint's effect on the accuracy of the information.

BANNED

This kind of supports the theory that the reboot was kind of just dropped in DC's lap from WB higher ups. And the fact that the door was closed on that particular version means that it can be a "complete" history.
    If I understand correctly, DC doesn't have anything to do with this book.

By the sound of it, the book was being put together (I can see a project like this taking years) before Flashpoint happened and then when it happened, they were kind of forced to acknowledge it or throw away their entire workload.

BANNED

Thank you for posting this and saving me the Christmas money I was going to spend on it.

Amazing Member

It's only a couple of pages devoted to the New52. The rest is all Pre-Flashpoint.