Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Hulk's mental upgrade... (spoilers for Waid's last Hulk run before Original Sin)

Well, it seems that Tony Stark gave Bruce Banner some of the Extremis, the very same biological formula that gave Tony stark the ability to summon his Iron Man armors at will.

It lasted until the end of Dark Reign and it wasn't mentioned again until the start of Marvel Now and also the Iron Man 3 movie.

Now that it's in the HULK/Bruce Banner. Yet, we all saw how it help/harmed Tony Stark, but I do wonder wonder what will it do to the Hulk and as Hulk fans...how should this be viewed given the Hulk's history ?

I mean even I question it all considering how Waid ended this run and had the Hulk's healing factor cut.

BANNED

Soooo, Waid took away the Hulk's healing factor (however that was accomplished) only to replace it with the Extremis virus? I never felt Mark Waid was good for the character, but if you like tech-based superheroes, then I guess it's right up your alley.

It also seems like a dangerous thing to give to mentally challenged individuals (Hulk and Banner) considering they can summon dangerous tech at will.

This is definitely not your father's (or mine) Hulk. This kind of upgrade seems like it'll allow writers to continue the tradition of avoiding writing the classic Savage Hulk. Writers will likely find it more interesting to write a character that instead has the ability to fully comprehend and utilize the Extremis enhancement.

TL;DR: Meh.
    Last edited by Marvel_Is; 06-15-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

The word ridiculous comes to mind

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

This is bizarre. As great a job Mark Waid has done on Daredevil, his run on Hulk has been less than sensational from jump street, and now, he's had Tony Stark put the most dangerous technological weapon in the Marvel Universe in the head of its most dangerous character. One thing is for certain, this new wrinkle figures to be either interesting, or crazy, or both.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Soooo, Waid took away the Hulk's healing factor (however that was accomplished) only to replace it with the Extremis virus? I never felt Mark Waid was good for the character, but if you like tech-based superheroes, then I guess it's right up your alley.

It also seems like a dangerous thing to give to mentally challenged individuals (Hulk and Banner) considering they can summon dangerous tech at will.

This is definitely not your father's (or mine) Hulk. This kind of upgrade seems like it'll allow writers to continue the tradition of avoiding writing the classic Savage Hulk. Writers will likely find it more interesting to write a character that instead has the ability to fully comprehend and utilize the Extremis enhancement.

I was wondering about that too. When Banner got shot, the wound should have healed when he became the Hulk. I look forward to Gerry Duggan's run. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52934

It was healing, but not correctly. They were actively trying to prevent him from Hulking out while figuring out what to do. The battle with Abomination left him a babbling vegetable.

Thus, the Extremis.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

I'm not understanding this at all. What does extremis do?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    This is bizarre. As great a job Mark Waid has done on Daredevil, his run on Hulk has been less than sensational from jump street, and now, he's had Tony Stark put the most dangerous technological weapon in the Marvel Universe in the head of its most dangerous character. One thing is for certain, this new wrinkle figures to be either interesting, or crazy, or both.
    And that's what makes it interesting. The potential for future stories is huge.

I'm just gonna wait and see what Duggan does with this when it's his turn to write but from what I've seen it appears to not only have fixed Banner but may have given the Hulk himself an increased intelligence as shown in the recent issue of New Avengers where he is helping to discuss plans of action with an Incursion.

I honestly feel it could go very well, since a Smart Hulk is always interesting to have story wise. But we'll just have to see what happens.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I hope they get rid of Extremis, but keep the Hulk smart like he was written originally. No more Cookie Monster Hulk.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I hope they get rid of Extremis, but keep the Hulk smart like he was written originally. No more Cookie Monster Hulk.
    And what's wrong with the old Savage Hulk speak huh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    And what's wrong with the old Savage Hulk speak huh ?
    The incomplete sentences "HULK SMASH" was fine in the 70s and 80s. After World War Hulk, it would seem like a step back IMO. I loved it when he was Green Scar; he had a lot of attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post

well, good. Maybe then he can explain it to me.

I just want to forget Waid's run happened at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad937 View Post
    The incomplete sentences "HULK SMASH" was fine in the 70s and 80s. After World War Hulk, it would seem like a step back IMO. I loved it when he was Green Scar; he had a lot of attitude.
    This. Trying to go back to Savage Hulk after Pak's run is ridiculous.
    On ye olde CBR