Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    You can cherry-pick the rare jewels that came out of the 90's all you want but it changes nothing. The 90's will ALWAYS carry the rotten stench until you kids witness the next screw-up.

Though I don't think that sin will occur again for quite some time. We got us a Deadpool movie coming out!
    So you say the 90s was a rotting corpse that was killed and buried for a reason and should not be resurrected especially in it's gimmicky tinfoil/hologram grim gritty eXtreme glory? the Deadpool movie looks awesome and promising and so does Apocalypse.

Yet do you agree Golgo 13 that Marvel studios with Fox X-Men are embracing the 60s/70s/80s silver/bronze/copper age of comics while DC films is being like the dark age of comics of the 90s where they think gritty/dark means cool and taking the wrong lessons from Nolan without understanding what made Nolan's films work? And you think there is a stench in the 90s because of the speculator bubble bursting and nearly killing the industry and would you blame Rob Liefled?

Quote Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
    There was not one thing wrong with comic books of the 1990's. It was just that consumers was changing and comic book companies like Valiant was not. Akira won an award for it's coloring alone. So OP if you could compare and contrast, or anybody. I wouldn't mind arguing at all.
    1980's and 1990's was the first time in history were Race was not a big deal. The first time where you could laugh at the President, because he was a guy like you. While there was ( and still ) racism, the 1990's was solid gold.

You compare and contrast imagery from the 1990's with other comics of today. There is no way you could make that argument.

Most of my collection is 1990's material, while I do Have some stuff from the 1950's as well as 2000.
    Indeed and i have some stuff from the 50s in trade paperback even EC comics and 70s/60s/80s in trade paperback with some 80s comics still around. Some 90s stuff in trade paperbacks.

Yes Akira did won for best coloring when it came to the US and i'm sure Akira was Epic-Marvel's biggest selling comic i believe and earned critical acclaim as it made manga cool and hip in the US you know. The comic and movie were influential stuff you know yet still are and it did spawned American imitators who tried to be like Akira with the grim and gritty and dark stuff and took the wrong lessons. Do you agree Akira didn't work cause it was grim, dark and gritty but because it had unique artwork and a good complicated mature story in it and some humor too?

I have good memories of the crazy 90s because it was when I first got into comics seriously. The craziness of things -like Death and Return of Superman, Knightfall, Clone Saga and the huge, over-complicated X Men stories fit the excitement I felt as a kid discovering comics. Although I did think the reprints of bronze age stuff I read was more classic and timeless, and felt more special.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    I have good memories of the crazy 90s because it was when I first got into comics seriously. The craziness of things -like Death and Return of Superman, Knightfall, Clone Saga and the huge, over-complicated X Men stories fit the excitement I felt as a kid discovering comics. Although I did think the reprints of bronze age stuff I read was more classic and timeless, and felt more special.
    Bronze age? you mean the 70s?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I too think those are some fantastic books you mentioned.

Respectfully however, I'd say you have things in reverse. There are literally MILLIONS of horrible books (X-Men accounting for a couple of millions alone) that were vomited out in sealed, multi-cover rainbow-hologram orgy of excess. The likes that were never seen in the history of this hobby. A unknown but to God number of FCBS & entire comic lines were audaciously launched & shamefully shut down throughout the 90's plague. Some of it thankfully so.

"The stench" lingers still & we should never let them forget their sins against us.

I have no super-powers. Just "rage issues" & crazy old-man strength powered by a ghastly amount of English pipe tobacco & Kentucky whiskey. But you just might be able to predict the future...grim & dark.

"Grim & Dark" just like my beloved WH40K.
    What do you mean stench Golgo 13?