Default Possible reason why Kylo Ren's Lightsaber looks as it does

There was a whole lot of fanboy disgust at the design of Kylo Ren's lightsaber with the crossguard beams. From what I remember many felt it was designed to look badass and thus ignore the traditional Jedi lightsaber look for some wow factor.

But during the movie there was a big deal made over Luke's lightsaber. Why? A lightsaber is just like any other - there is no power associated with the lightsaber like if it was Excalibur.

Then watching the saber duels with Kylo Ren's lightsaber kind of made me realize that Ren's lightsaber beam is kind of crackling and seems to have a electrical short in how the blade flares? and those crossguards maybe are not there to serve as crossguards?- they look like excess energy venting exhaust ports?

What could be going on with all that that we should be taking away as a viewer? To me it indicates Ren's lightsaber is badly made. Like the ability to make lightsabers has become almost a lost art when the Jedis were wiped out. The lightsaber is venting energy because it is a primitive design - kind of reminds me of the smoke belching from a coal fired steam engine compared to the clean function of a modern electric motor in a Tesla.

This is why Luke's lightsaber would be prised by Ren - it is an example of a functioning lightsaber technology lost to him and not so much a relic that he needs to possess like Excalibur.

Does anyone know if Abrams or anyone else elaborated on the reasoning behind the Ren saber design to confirm or disprove my theory?
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 12-28-2015 at 03:26 AM.

My guess is they had a particular image in mind when they came up the design for his lightsaber: spoilers:
    Kylo Ren being able to hurt his foe when they're crossing their lightsabers, such as when he pierced his crossguard into Finn's shoulder.
    end of spoilers

As for him wanting Luke's lightsaber, it's probably a lot simpler. The lightsaber used to belong to his idol, so it's no surprise that he wants to have it.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    What could be going on with all that that we should be taking away as a viewer? To me it indicates Ren's lightsaber is badly made. Like the ability to make lightsabers has become almost a lost art when the Jedis were wiped out. The lightsaber is venting energy because it is a primitive design
    I thought that actually was the official reason. It's an old design.

He's also using a cracked focusing crystal

the full page probably explains it better, might have to buy that book

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I thought that actually was the official reason. It's an old design.
    Old or damaged design - I see it is out there. That makes sense to me. If Jedis are reforming and they are responsible for making their own light sabers then the making of them is a lost art.

BANNED

I like Doylian explanations...

The saber looksthe way it does because somebody thought it would look cool and original, and because the ragged, unstable looking blade represent's Ren's personality very well.

This doesn't need an in-universe explanation any more than that Barry Allen's bowtie needed an origin story.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I like Doylian explanations...

The saber looksthe way it does because somebody thought it would look cool and original, and because the ragged, unstable looking blade represent's Ren's personality very well.

This doesn't need an in-universe explanation any more than that Barry Allen's bowtie needed an origin story.
    We agree, sir. You are also attempting to paddle a canoe up a waterfall.

Speaking of sabers, anybody notice the end of Rey's staff looks kind of like the emitters of Darth Maul's saber? (As well as the component she removes from the Star Destroyer wreck).

Wonder if that was sort of intentional, after all the guy who designed Darth Maul worked on Rey's look as well. Maybe Rey will have a double-bladed saber in the sequels?

Here's a comparison made by another person:

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest...of-lightsabers

BTW that's only Mace's TPM lightsaber (whose similarity to Maul's caused some speculation back then). He has a gold model in the other two films.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-30-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Ultimate Member

I'm pretty sure that the official explanation is something along those lines. Kylo wants to be Vader SO BADLY, but he's has no idea how to actually do it properly. So he crafts a lightsaber that looks cool (yes, I like the design), but is very shoddily but together, by a amateur. And the blade represents that, it's unstable.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Speaking of sabers, anybody notice the end of Rey's staff looks kind of like the emitters of Darth Maul's saber? (As well as the component she removes from the Star Destroyer wreck).

Wonder if that was sort of intentional, after all the guy who designed Darth Maul worked on Rey's look as well. Maybe Rey will have a double-bladed saber in the sequels?

Here's a comparison made by another person:

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest...of-lightsabers

BTW that's only Mace's TPM lightsaber (whose similarity to Maul's caused some speculation back then). He has a gold model in the other two films.
    I noticed that: spoilers:
    When she picks up the lightsaber and uses it to duel Kylo, she's using it as if it were a staff. So yeah, I wouldn't mind her making a double-bladed one, it'd fit her fighting style well.
    end of spoilers