Spectacular Member

Default Martian Manhunter ves Superman - Common Powers Only

This is just to help me gauge how he two match up in current continuity, I know before the last reboot the Martian had levels about 85-90% of Supes where their powersets overlapped and would always give Kal a good fight, taking like 3-4 out of 10. What about now?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Superman should win. J'onn has good feats, but they are few and far between and often rely on using his powes in tandem. If you take him helping move Braniac's ship at face value he's got to have strength comparable to Supes though.

Also, I'm thinking Clark wins this because of superior reaction feats in the nu 52 compared to J'onn who is virtually featless in that realm.
    ----------------------------------
    "...the guy who went to 'Nam and never came back..."

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
    Also, I'm thinking Clark wins this because of superior reaction feats in the nu 52 compared to J'onn who is virtually featless in that realm.
    Yeah, but I'm not sure super speed counts as a common power in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Yeah, but I'm not sure super speed counts as a common power in that case.
    Oh, I get it now.

Tell me more about this....

If you take him helping move Braniac's ship at face value he's got to have strength comparable to Supes though.

Is that the Doomsday Wars thing?
    ----------------------------------
    "...the guy who went to 'Nam and never came back..."

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
    Oh, I get it now.

Tell me more about this....

Is that the Doomsday Wars thing?
    Yus. I added the asterisk because some people don't like it. Personally, I'm cool with it. What I've seen of Nu J'onn has included fighting the entire JLA off panel, soloing a JLA level threat in Despero, and a charged up punch from Apollo bouncing off his face (who in that same story arc took out a planet killer asteroid at his peak levels.)

He doesn't seem to have many appearances or fights. He's got some low stuff, including an unimpressive showing against Zod, but I'm inclined to go with his repeated presentation as a JLA level threat being credible supporting evidence to planetary+ scale strength.

Just a correction of issue no's here . The Braniac ship thing is from Doomed, a story arc running through various superman titles in the new 52

Doomsday wars is a 3 issue miniseries from the 90s

Also Despero isn't a JLA level threat in the new 52 for the simple reason he hasn't faced the big 7 line up yet. That was his first appearance I believe , while the big guns were missing from the Watchtower . He later joined the secret society ....which is very un-Despero like . I fear he is turning into post crisis Mongul at this point . He's going to be hunting people for a bounty soon...;p
    Last edited by The Dork Knight; 12-30-2015 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Just a correction of issue no's here . The Braniac ship thing is from Doomed, a story arc running through various superman titles in the new 52

Doomsday wars is a 3 issue miniseries from the 90s

Also Despero isn't a JLA level threat in the new 52 for the simple reason he hasn't faced the big 7 line up yet. That was his first appearance I believe , while the big guns were missing from the Watchtower . He later joined the secret society ....which is very un-Despero like . I fear he is turning into post crisis Mongul at this point . He's going to be hunting people for a bounty soon...;p
    He hasn't fought the JLA on panel, but it was repeatedly mentioned that he has taken the entire JLA + Martian Manhunter before, with an emphasis how significant J'onn's presence was. When MM shows up to save the day, he points out that he was following the JL's rules and holding back when he fought Despero before, and then pretty casually breaks Despero's mind.

Manhunter's best stuff has happened off panel, but it makes his presentation consistent with his on panel feats of fighting Superman and displaying planetary+ strength.