Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Here's a guy, who's willing to recruit a series of youngsters, and then let them fight alongside him on the streets. So all the arguments about him not risking a loved one, or being paralysed by concern for somebody he cares about fall by the wayside.

I know naff all about the present day Batman, but there are plenty of past versions of Batman where he was portrayed as a reasonably normal mentally healthy guy...there would be nothing out of character in one of those versions becoming happily married.

Not out of character. But outside the "magic formula" that DC has decided must be used to write Batman. Nobody knows what makes him so uniquely successful...so no new major departure must ever be allowed. He won't get married, not in the main continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Here's a guy, who's willing to recruit a series of youngsters, and then let them fight alongside him on the streets. So all the arguments about him not risking a loved one, or being paralysed by concern for somebody he cares about fall by the wayside.

I know naff all about the present day Batman, but there are plenty of past versions of Batman where he was portrayed as a reasonably normal mentally healthy guy...there would be nothing out of character in one of those versions becoming happily married.

Not out of character. But outside the "magic formula" that DC has decided must be used to write Batman. Nobody knows what makes him so uniquely successful...so no new major departure must ever be allowed. He won't get married, not in the main continuity.
    Well it doesn't just apply to Batman no one in the line of comics is really allowed to get married

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Batman is already married... to Lady Justice.
    And Alfred. No wonder his life is so complicated.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    And Alfred. No wonder his life is so complicated.
    I think Alfred makes Bruce's life very uncomplicated. He keeps that huge house and cave spotlessly clean, does all the grocery shopping, brain surgery on the side, mucks out Bat-Cow's straw, does all the cooking, etc etc etc--he's a one-man army of servants--I wish I could afford him to come work for ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Well it doesn't just apply to Batman no one in the line of comics is really allowed to get married
    Except Reed Richards, who is probably the least suitable marriage material in the whole of comics.....with the possible exception of the Joker.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Except Reed Richards, who is probably the least suitable marriage material in the whole of comics.....with the possible exception of the Joker.
    Reed had two things going for him. One, Jack Kirby liked marriages just fine. And, two, he won't ever let the fact he has someone get in the way of him going off and doing whatever gets into his head.

So, I guess, if more of them were self-absorbed individualists...
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I'd be curious to see a married Bruce Wayne in current continuity. I still think the most original and interesting thing that Scott Snyder could do right now with the Julie Madison plot is not have anything terrible happen and they actually end up tying the knot. Having someone to come home to after a long night of crimefighting (other than Alfred) could create an intriguing dynamic IMO and open up an entirely different realm of drama. But I'm pretty sure he already confirmed that isn't going to happen and I can't see a lot of people being happy with another status quo change coming out of Jim Gordon as Batman.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post
    I'd be curious to see a married Bruce Wayne in current continuity. I still think the most original and interesting thing that Scott Snyder could do right now with the Julie Madison plot is not have anything terrible happen and they actually end up tying the knot. Having someone to come home to after a long night of crimefighting (other than Alfred) could create an intriguing dynamic IMO and open up an entirely different realm of drama. But I'm pretty sure he already confirmed that isn't going to happen and I can't see a lot of people being happy with another status quo change coming out of Jim Gordon as Batman.
    I don't think it would work with julie the only reason it worked with cat woman on earth 2 I think is that catwoman was well known
    and julie is probable evil to nice is almost always a sign of someone being evil in comics