Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    Hey guys, I'm Beaux! I had been reading the forums here for just a couple of days when the reboot happened, so I figured that now's as good a time as any to make an account. I'm still fairly new to comics (most of my experience comes from manga and Batman, along with some other random stories) but I've always wanted to get into Marvel. I had read the first two issues of Ultimate Spider-Man years ago and liked them, plus Spider-Man was always my favorite superhero as a kid, so I figured that I'd look up a good introduction to the Ultimate Universe and found Plawsky's thread on the old forums. I've been reading Ultimate Spider-Man and I've really enjoyed the first two arcs. I plan to continue on through the list, but I might start skipping some of the less essential comics as I go on. I think this sounds like a fun way to get into Marvel comics.
    Welcome! And yes, Plawsky's list is great. I used it myself a long time ago and it was a fun time.

At the risk of getting too far off-topic, I guess I'm gonna have to pay closer attention to our on-topic threads now, so I can keep up with my Ultimate Bros.

Losing our hangout thread is a bummer, but I'm not gonna whine about it. On that thread, I met several new friends, held a hundred perspective-shattering discussions, and lost an obscene number of productive work-hours.

You guys, I like you.

Let's see what happens next.

To Ultimately Off-Topic.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    At the risk of getting too far off-topic, I guess I'm gonna have to pay closer attention to our on-topic threads now, so I can keep up with my Ultimate Bros.

Losing our hangout thread is a bummer, but I'm not gonna whine about it. On that thread, I met several new friends, held a hundred perspective-shattering discussions, and lost an obscene number of productive work-hours.

You guys, I like you.

To Ultimately Off-Topic.

I'm gonna have to start keeping up with the UU more than I have then.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    Hey guys, I'm Beaux! I had been reading the forums here for just a couple of days when the reboot happened, so I figured that now's as good a time as any to make an account. I'm still fairly new to comics (most of my experience comes from manga and Batman, along with some other random stories) but I've always wanted to get into Marvel. I had read the first two issues of Ultimate Spider-Man years ago and liked them, plus Spider-Man was always my favorite superhero as a kid, so I figured that I'd look up a good introduction to the Ultimate Universe and found Plawsky's thread on the old forums. I've been reading Ultimate Spider-Man and I've really enjoyed the first two arcs. I plan to continue on through the list, but I might start skipping some of the less essential comics as I go on. I think this sounds like a fun way to get into Marvel comics.
    That's pretty much how I got hooked. I dabbled in Ultimate Marvel, stumbled across Plawsky's reading order, and BAM. My body was covered in black hair. Sexy, sexy black hair.

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post

You guys, I like you.

To Ultimately Off-Topic.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

It seems that when people discuss Ultimate FF, the consensus seems to be that everything after Ellis is garbage, which omits glaringly my favorite era of the book, which was the material fully scripted by Millar that followed. It's some of my favorite FF related material period (and I think even better than his work on the FF book proper). I mean President Thor is possibly the most fun 3-issue arc ever. And although evil Reed's turn is a bit of a head-scratcher, it gave us the future big bad of Hickman's Ultimates run, which is quite possibly one of my favorite all-time stories. Plus Bendis' choice to shed Ben of his rock and hook him up with Sue was such a wonderfully warm experience, as a lifelong sympathy for the character was finally quelled upon seeing, finally, at least in some universe out there, things were going his way for once. He earned it. And Johnny going over to the Spider-Man title for a while was fun. Having that wide array of characters all attending public school together was a blast, and unfortunately cut way too short. I'd have loved to have seen a Midtown High animated series (which of sorts made it into the Ultimate Spider-Man TV show, but with many character changes and a tone meant for an even younger audience then the teen target demographic).

Anyway, now I'm just blabbing.

One final Ultimate related thought: I think Ultimate Power gets unnecessarily bashed.
    I find it to be far from the abomination most folks make it out to be from a story perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    I'll probably do that. If not on this thread then another one. Would you recommend FF and X-men beyond Vaughn and Millar? Pre-Ultimatum I mean..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet Manley View Post
    UFF becomes very hit-or-miss as soon as Ellis leaves. The Carey/Ferry stuff is probably the best of the post-Ellis stuff.
    Kirkman's first arc was pretty good, but the book took a nosedive right after that.
    I'd agree with Chet's assessment. Although I liked Kirkman's Cable arc a lot as well.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post

To the Ultimately Off topic threads bub.

Incredible Member

I don't know what sucks more, no off-topic thread or the movie I just watched.

I really am feeling kind of awkward here. Not so much that I don't understand whats going on, but I want to come to the board and chat with you guys in the OT thread or whatever but in the massive OT thread in the community section there is just so much going on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post

To the Ultimately Off topic threads bub.
    britta-drinking.jpg

10chars
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    Johnny going over to the Spider-Man title for a while was fun. Having that wide array of characters all attending public school together was a blast, and unfortunately cut way too short. I'd have loved to have seen a Midtown High animated series (which of sorts made it into the Ultimate Spider-Man TV show, but with many character changes and a tone meant for an even younger audience then the teen target demographic).
    This is why I'm hopeful about the new Miles Morales and All-New Ultimates series. Ultimate Spider-Man is at its best when it plays up its supporting characters, such as the "Amazing Friends" era that you're referring to. This was a gaping deficiency in Miles Morales's story until the very end; for those last two issues, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man felt like itself again.

All-New Member

Hey everyone!

Been loving the Ultimate Univers a LOT over the years, but have not been able to keep up with floppies, so now and again I am ordering some TPB's to keep me happy!

Just read Ultimate Origins with supersoldiere serum and am about to jump in DIVIDED WE FALL, but in doing so I overlooked the fact that my other books are mostly ULTIMATE X-MEN (my last one was the Thor/Loki story by Loeb/Cho) and the Death of Parker... so I want to get back in the game and order some new stuff...

My problem is that the Reading Order is wonderful but due to all the re-starting of storylines make it kinda overwhelming which TPB now to check out.

Does anybody know of a Reading Order by TPB for instance?