Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Superman Annual #3

"Man of Tomorrow. Man of Yesterday." Superman and Vandal Savage have been on a collision course for centuries. As Kal-El struggles to survive against this barbarian's attacking hordes, we reveal the events that led to Vandal Savage's creation-and his unexpected connection to Krypton. Immortals gather to put an end to the Last Son of Krypton so Earth may live!

Full preview here.

Always Rakzo

Not half bad. The exploration of Vandal Savage's past was interesting at least and it was cool to see Captain Nazi.

However, I'm getting tired of the characterization of Superman that continues to dwell into the "I have no powers!" mandate.

Would be pretty good if it didn't lead into another crossover.

Aside from the terrible artwork on the present day stuff, I thought this was a good Annual. The gritty and scratchy artwork though just does not fit for Superman though, have no idea why they went there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Really, really firm pass.

I thought this was the best regular Superman book in quite some time. I wasn't put off by the inner monologue, and enjoyed the new 52 bits of Vandal Savage's origin. Much better book than the 2 Superman/Wonder Woman issues this week. Unfortunately being the lead in to yet another crossover I agree is a problem.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Anything that reveals more information about ancient Krypton is a must for me.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Wow, Krypton created Savage! My how the whole universe is tied together.

Best comic I read this week from either big company. Loved Savage's flashbacks...he is way cool! I had no idea...he is so "HighLanderish"!

You know, I didn't even really let that sink in till you brought it up. As the issue went on and Savage was looking for the meteor, it kinda slipped my mind that the prologue showed it showed up due to the influence of one of Kal-El's ancestors.

I hope they decide to keep Vandal as a primary Superman foe for a while. I'd like to see them have more battles, especially when on a more even ground durability-wise. He also could replace Lex for a while as the big-time Earth bound tactical foe, as long as Lex is being kept as an anti-hero. Played right, this could be one positive lasting consequence coming out of Truth.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-01-2016 at 06:55 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Anyway, I think its possible that Meteor is going to restore Superman's powers?

This was pretty fun, with some masterful pencils by Sienkiewicz to pull it over the line to "good stuff". I can't help but think that there's potential for a better, more intricate story in the strong "The comet that gave Vandal Savage his powers is returning to Earth"-setup than what we seem to be getting here, but it's all entertaining enough.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Anyway, I think its possible that Meteor is going to restore Superman's powers?
    Good guess, that would be great!

I would like Batman back in the cowl, Superman back at full power, and Hal Jordan back with the Corps.

That is a good guess, I think that's what's going to happen. I think the gods are going to place some temporary spell on Superman in the next SM/WW where Kryptonite powers him as opposed to kill him, which will save his life from the poisoning, and he'll use that power to finally take on Savage one-one-one, where they'll probably end up crashing into the meteor or something and Superman will be replenished.