Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Amazing Member

This issue got a "just no" rating in The Buy Pile column this week (and frankly, the last sentence describes most of the last several issues):

"Wonder Woman" #47 is a gorgeous looking book that started out dry and ended up anticlimactically. The story involves one person determined to do a thing, which Diana wants to stop. Nobody gets what they want and nothing has been changed by the final page, so the entire issue was pretty much a waste, compounded by a wholly ridiculous deus ex machina Jiminy Cricket moment that was far too facile to match the wonderful visuals. Tedious and exhausting.

Extraordinary Member

I'm only up to page three of this issue and I am already shaking my head.

Dessa comes running to tell Diana that somebody has just murdered a dozen Amazons, and instead takes time to talk to her about fluff and feelings?

What the hell?!!!

Hello, Dessa. Do you think Diana's intimate feelings made those dead Amazons feel giddy as they were being torn apart? For Gawd's sake! Why is this written so badly!?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by tardisoperator View Post
    This issue got a "just no" rating in The Buy Pile column this week (and frankly, the last sentence describes most of the last several issues):

"Wonder Woman" #47 is a gorgeous looking book that started out dry and ended up anticlimactically. The story involves one person determined to do a thing, which Diana wants to stop. Nobody gets what they want and nothing has been changed by the final page, so the entire issue was pretty much a waste, compounded by a wholly ridiculous deus ex machina Jiminy Cricket moment that was far too facile to match the wonderful visuals. Tedious and exhausting.
    Edit - it at least got a bit better, and the idea of Diana not being able to enter the temple was somewhat clever. Wonder what that means about her ever stepping into a Church or a Mosque.

But...ARGUS has a map of Paradise Island showing the location of the temple? Seems a bit convenient. And if Diana knows where the temple is, wouldn't the best plan be to just wait there. How big is the island that it takes somebody with super-speed that long to find one building?

Wonder how long it will take Anastasios to get an artificial arm and become a villain?

And why is he wearing jeans?

Meh.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I enjoyed the issue, both the story and art, but then I liked it from the start of the Finch run and only stopped to protest the costume change. I'm back if it is.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I enjoyed the issue, both the story and art, but then I liked it from the start of the Finch run and only stopped to protest the costume change. I'm back if it is.
    Thanks for reminding me - the new costume that that a few issues ago Diana said is supposed to represent all that she had become is gone - without any reason whatsover.

But then maybe how absolutely hideous it was is reason enough.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    But...ARGUS has a map of Paradise Island showing the location of the temple? Seems a bit convenient. And if Diana knows where the temple is, wouldn't the best plan be to just wait there.
    Yes, thank you. She doesn't have to hunt Cheetah through the jungle (which she mentions she'd rather not do). She knows where Cheetah is going - she just has to fly there and wait.

And/but - how did Dessa know what Cheetah wanted? Did Barbara actually yell "I'm here for the Eye of Antiope!" loud enough for some survivor of her attack to tell everyone?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

It is not Meredith.
    She did not storm the offices of D C Comics and decided she would run things.
    This is all on the people who decided to bring D C Comics to the West Coast to help
    run things better, but decided (just a guess) focusing on the movies and television side
    of the business was more important (just an ignorant opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    It is not Meredith.
    She did not storm the offices of D C Comics and decided she would run things.
    This is all on the people who decided to bring D C Comics to the West Coast to help
    run things better, but decided (just a guess) focusing on the movies and television side
    of the business was more important (just an ignorant opinion).
    You are right in the sense that DC wanted a big name on the book (David Finch) and they took Meredith as a package deal. So yes, it is their fault she is here. But it is her fault that she is terrible at giving any of her characters personality, it is her fault that her stories go no where and have no point by the end. She is a awful writer and has ruined this book, but DC is willing to allow it since the sales are up thanks to her husbands art.

Despite the amount of issues she has written nothing really big has occurred, besides Donna coming back. My gut tells me this is a "hold" run. Meaning, nothing crucial will occur and they are basically keeping the book on hold until they can get a big writer and a major storyline set up in time for the Wonder Woman movie.

I like David Finches art, but I do not think people where knocking down the doors to get the book because of it.
    The best books out there right now feature art that is not as detailed and life like as David's
    But because of better writing.

Wonder Woman has and still is appearing in many places in D C Comics and that is super.........
    Just wish D C would allow a certain girl (who is also super) a cameo once in awhile.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    And/but - how did Dessa know what Cheetah wanted? Did Barbara actually yell "I'm here for the Eye of Antiope!" loud enough for some survivor of her attack to tell everyone?
    This, too, was a head-scratcher for me. As well as the odd, cheery end to the issue and allowing Cheetah to escape even though she killed a dozen Amazons when she landed on the island.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    This, too, was a head-scratcher for me. As well as the odd, cheery end to the issue and allowing Cheetah to escape even though she killed a dozen Amazons when she landed on the island.

Well, Cheetah proved she was faster than Diana when she got to the temple much sooner than Diana did so it's quite likely that once Cheetah raced away, Diana knew she couldn't catch her at that point.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Well, Cheetah proved she was faster than Diana when she got to the temple much sooner than Diana did so it's quite likely that once Cheetah raced away, Diana knew she couldn't catch her at that point.
    After yapping to no one, Diana flies away!

I get the feeling catching Cheetah was very possible.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    After yapping to no one, Diana flies away!

I get the feeling catching Cheetah was very possible.

If Cheetah hadn't gotten a head-start, I would agree with you. Also - keep in mind that at the end of Justice League #13, Cheetah allowed herself to be caught to gain entry into Belle Reve for the Secret Society.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    If Cheetah hadn't gotten a head-start, I would agree with you. Also - keep in mind that at the end of Justice League #13, Cheetah allowed herself to be caught to gain entry into Belle Reve for the Secret Society.
    Ok, but they're in an island. She came in on a boat. It should be very possible to catch her. Also, she killed Amazons so shouldn't Diana try everything to bring her to justice? I just can't see why Cheeta was allowed to leave.

Strangely, this was the part that bugged me the least as the Amazons are so unsympathetic in this new continuity.