Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just wondering -- Thunderbird

Whatever happened to the Exiles' Thunderbird? I believe Nocturne is on Earth 616, but Thunderbird was in a coma when the book ended. And the rest of the Exiles melted away into nothingness, right? Since that book was one of my favorites while it was being published, I'd like an update on Thunderbird or any other Exile who's still alive. Thanks in advance.

Sandy Hausler

He woke up from his coma around the start of Claremont's run. Then he was reunited with Nocturne and with Blink they retired to live peacefully on Sasquatch/Heather's earth for the rest of Claremont's Exiles run. Then after New Exiles ended we had the Exiles Vol 2 which lasted all of 6 issues and revealed that all the Exiles members from Claremont's run (except for Morph) were absorbed by the Crystal Palace/Panoptichron and so Nocturne, Blink and Morph had to restart the Exiles in order to continue repairing the multiverse. And that's the last we saw of them.

Some of the Exiles from Claremont's run like our Psylocke and Sage and AoA Sabretooth eventually returned to their respective universes without much of an explanation. Morph, Blink, Nocturne, Thunderbird and the rest of the newer Exiles they recruited (Panther, Alt. Beast, Alt. Polaris, Alt. Forge and Alt. Scarlet Witch among others) haven't been seen at all since then.

Best we got was AoA ongoing writer hinting in an interview that AoA Wolverine/Weapon X/Weapon Omega might have eventually "dealt with" AoA Blink indicating that she might have been returned to AoA and killed off at some point but that's pretty much it. And now that AoA timeline is probably permanently dead with all of it's natives (with the exception of Nate Grey) gone and her 616 counterpart running around it's probably a safe bet that we won't be seeing her again any time soon and that she's probably dead.

And the fates of the rest of the Exiles has never been mentioned at all. You can probably decide for yourself what you want your headcanon to be. Did they finish their mission and retire happily or did they all sacrifice themselves to save the multiverse? Either way they probably did manage to complete their mission since multiverse never collapsed. At least not until SW but that wasn't related to Exiles. And since they didn't appear during SW they probably don't operate anymore.

Or Marvel just doesn't care about them enough to remember that they existed or to address what happened to them in the end.
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 12-30-2015 at 11:00 AM.

I was thinking about picking up the back issues of Exiles (2001) until I saw there were a hundred of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I was thinking about picking up the back issues of Exiles (2001) until I saw there were a hundred of them!
    I think I already mentioned this to you in another thread but just in case you didn't see it I suggest that if you ever do decide to pick them up you should probably stop at around issue 80 or so. That's what I did and haven't regretted it at all. The whole series went downhill from there real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    I think I already mentioned this to you in another thread but just in case you didn't see it I suggest that if you ever do decide to pick them up you should probably stop at around issue 80 or so. That's what I did and haven't regretted it at all. The whole series went downhill from there real quick.
    Hmmm. If you did I don't remember it (which wouldn't be odd for me, at all, not remembering). I totally won't be able to do that, though. If I read them, and make it that far, I'll have to finish it!

Don't let that deter you. They are worth it, especially the early issues.

Sandy Hausler

He woke up from his coma around the start of Claremont's run. Then he was reunited with Nocturne and with Blink they retired to live peacefully on Sasquatch/Heather's earth for the rest of Claremont's Exiles run. Then after New Exiles ended we had the Exiles Vol 2 which lasted all of 6 issues and revealed that all the Exiles members from Claremont's run (except for Morph) were absorbed by the Crystal Palace/Panoptichron and so Nocturne, Blink and Morph had to restart the Exiles in order to continue repairing the multiverse. And that's the last we saw of them.

Some of the Exiles from Claremont's run like our Psylocke and Sage and AoA Sabretooth eventually returned to their respective universes without much of an explanation. Morph, Blink, Nocturne, Thunderbird and the rest of the newer Exiles they recruited (Panther, Alt. Beast, Alt. Polaris, Alt. Forge and Alt. Scarlet Witch among others) haven't been seen at all since then.

Best we got was AoA ongoing writer hinting in an interview that AoA Wolverine/Weapon X/Weapon Omega might have eventually "dealt with" AoA Blink indicating that she might have been returned to AoA and killed off at some point but that's pretty much it. And now that AoA timeline is probably permanently dead with all of it's natives (with the exception of Nate Grey) gone and her 616 counterpart running around it's probably a safe bet that we won't be seeing her again any time soon and that she's probably dead.

And the fates of the rest of the Exiles has never been mentioned at all. You can probably decide for yourself what you want your headcanon to be. Did they finish their mission and retire happily or did they all sacrifice themselves to save the multiverse? Either way they probably did manage to complete their mission since multiverse never collapsed. At least not until SW but that wasn't related to Exiles. And since they didn't appear during SW they probably don't operate anymore.

Or Marvel just doesn't care about them enough to remember that they existed or to address what happened to them in the end.
    Thank you so much. This is very useful information (insofar as any information about comic books is useful).

Sandy Hausler

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Perhaps SHIELD got him and Skids is training him but most likely just limbo.
    I would be pissed if we get a line about the Tmist killing him off panel or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Don't let that deter you. They are worth it, especially the early issues.

Sandy Hausler
    Purchasing them is the issue. That'll set me back over a hundred bucks! I haven't recovered from all my Christmas spending, yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    Perhaps SHIELD got him and Skids is training him but most likely just limbo.
    I would be pissed if we get a line about the Tmist killing him off panel or something.
    Actually, Sandy Hausler was asking about the alternate reality Thunderbird/T-Bird aka John Proudstar who appeared in the Exiles. That character is different from his mainstream/earth 616 counterpart Thunderbird/John Proudstar who died. He also shouldn't be confused with his brother James Proudstar aka Warpath who used to go by Thunderbird too and who is in comic book limbo currently or with the Indian Thunderbird aka Neal Shaara (I always preferred the codename Agni for him) who has been in comic book limbo even longer

Purchasing them is the issue. That'll set me back over a hundred bucks! I haven't recovered from all my Christmas spending, yet!
    Well, I still suggest that you add them to your list of comics to read in the future as I have to agree with Sandy that they are really worth reading. The original Exiles is one of my personal favorite x-books ever (because it gives focus to characters who would never get much focus in any of the mainstream stories).
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 01-01-2016 at 12:27 PM.

The original Exiles is one of my personal favorite x-books ever (because it gives focus to characters who would never get much focus in any of the mainstream stories).
    That's one of the main reasons I want to read it!

I have to second, READ EXILES. It is one of the best X-Books of the past decade, and especially the Winick run of it which I believe is the first 30 or so issues. It is incredibly character driven, and it dabbles in a lot of not only X-lore (second arc is Dark Phoenix) but also a lot of the greater Marvel universe. It's SUCH a phenomenal book, it's what actually got me reading X-Men comics in the first place (and intro'd my absolute fav Nocturne!)

DO NOT read anything Claremont did with that book. It's a travesty. He literally buried it. The whole reunion between Nocturne and Thunderbird was insulting to fans of both characters.

I really recommend starting with the first few trades and seeing where you want to go from there. The roster changes quite a bit, so there are easy jump on/off points but definitely start at the beginning. You will not regret it.

OMG I am wanting to reread it now. Wish I weren't living on the other side of the world to my Exiles collection!

Oh man I just love Thunderbird and Talia. The Skrull arc was so sad but then the flashback issue that followed was a kick in the feels.

The AoA universe just couldn't catch a break. Also following Exiles, Creed got depowered and killed off.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Oh man I just love Thunderbird and Talia. The Skrull arc was so sad but then the flashback issue that followed was a kick in the feels.
    I know, that flashback issue was really sad and really made you feel for Nocturne! Unfortunately good emotional story like that doesn't often happen in comics!

The AoA universe just couldn't catch a break. Also following Exiles, Creed got depowered and killed off.
    That's true. Every time things seemed to be getting better something happened to f*ck it all up for the AoA characters again. And you're right about Sabretooth, I forgot to mention that he did end up being depowered along with AoA Jean before he reconciled with his son (AoA Graydon Creed) and most likely died. Of course that happened off panel IIRC so guess there is a small chance that he survived somehow since this is superhero comics we're talking about. But even if he did his home universe was probably consumed by those Celestial creations so it doesn't really matter then, I guess
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 01-02-2016 at 06:39 AM.

Issue 16 of Exiles is one of the best single issues of any comic EVER. Sincerely, it is heartbreaking and wonderful.

Also, the first 25 issues are available online for $2 each, and the first trade is $7. READ IT!!!
    Last edited by Nachturne; 01-02-2016 at 09:06 PM.