Super Moderator

Default Mignola Announces the End of "Hellboy in Hell"

Mike Mignola plans to bring his character's adventures in the underworld to a close in 2016.

Full article here.

Spectacular Member

Damn, I wasn't expecting this series to be closing up shop so suddenly. I really hope that there are plans in the works for more Hellboy beyond hell. Even if Mignola isn't pulling art duties, I would hope that the story continues. (After all, if Hellboy is in Hell and Hell is on Earth, you'd think there'd be some way of reviving him.) There have been some great artists taking over for Mike on the main series in the past. Duncan Fegredo comes to mind. Also, isn't BPRD: Hell on Earth closing up shop soon? I thought End of Days was marketed as the penultimate tale of the series.

Amazing Member

i love how 'fan-favorite' american artists are always finding ways to do Less work and take more time off.

I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say a meandering Hellboy series drawn by Mignola is worth a thousand issues of BPRD and Hellboy drawn by anyone else, even Fregredo.

"I love how 'fan-favorite' american artists are always finding ways to do Less work and take more time off."

I'm a little confused by your comment...are you saying that Mike is doing less work and taking more time off? Because that's not the Mike I live with...the man has been working everyday of his life for the past 28 years that I have been with him...if that's not what you meant then I misunderstood your post...
    CBM

The only thing that is going away is Mike's run on Hellboy in Hell and Mike's art duties...all the related books will continue...

Quote Originally Posted by davewire View Post
    Damn, I wasn't expecting this series to be closing up shop so suddenly. I really hope that there are plans in the works for more Hellboy beyond hell. Even if Mignola isn't pulling art duties, I would hope that the story continues. (After all, if Hellboy is in Hell and Hell is on Earth, you'd think there'd be some way of reviving him.) There have been some great artists taking over for Mike on the main series in the past. Duncan Fegredo comes to mind. Also, isn't BPRD: Hell on Earth closing up shop soon? I thought End of Days was marketed as the penultimate tale of the series.
    End of Days is the first half of the ending to Hell on Earth. While Hell on Earth finishes in September, B.P.R.D. will continue after a short break with a new story cycle. You can read more about what's ahead in 2016 here.

Quote Originally Posted by DangitBobby View Post
    i love how 'fan-favorite' american artists are always finding ways to do Less work and take more time off.

I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say a meandering Hellboy series drawn by Mignola is worth a thousand issues of BPRD and Hellboy drawn by anyone else, even Fregredo.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBM View Post
    I'm a little confused by your comment...are you saying that Mike is doing less work and taking more time off? Because that's not the Mike I live with...the man has been working everyday of his life for the past 28 years that I have been with him...if that's not what you meant then I misunderstood your post...
    CBM
    Mike Mignola's built a creator-owned universe spanning over twenty years and more than sixty trade paperbacks. I don't think he knows the meaning of "less work".

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Mike Mignola's built a creator-owned universe spanning over twenty years and more than sixty trade paperbacks. I don't think he knows the meaning of "less work".
    and that doesn't count the other things he did on top of that (2 movies, 4 animated series, a few novels and many covers...etc etc etc...)...

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

I gotta give respect to Mignola. He's giving his main creation some time off while I'm pretty sure this isn't a "finite" end for Hellboy. Other creators would probably love to take a crack at him & his universe. BPRD is one of my favorite reads month after month so I hope to see Mignola tackle some new projects in the future. Maybe a new Amazing Screw On Head story?
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984