Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What character deaths upset you the most?

Character deaths in comics have become a pretty common thing now. A character gets killed either to boost sales or it more or less made sense depending on the storyline or just because. A character would come back in a matter of either a few months to 10 years. What characters that you loved who were killed off made you so upset that it made you write a nasty letter to the company or just gave up on the comics? Here are a list of mine and let me know your list.

Colossus
    Iron Man
    Nick Fury
    Batman
    Rapture (from Savage Dragon)
    Betty Ross
    Capt. America
    Elongated Man

I think we need to differentiate between "upset because it was an emotionally moving story" and "upset because it was a cheap shock ploy". For the former category, I have;

Jean Grey (first time)
    Damian Wayne
    Ultimate Peter Parker
    4/5ths of The Boys (interpret that as you will, because I don't want to spoil it)
    Rorschach
    Marko's father in Saga
    Henry in American Vampire
    Superman in All-Star Superman
    Gertrude Yorkes
    Gwen Stacy
    Roger the Homunculus
    Agent 355
    Tony the Cat in The Filth
    Mr. Hyde in the League of Extraordinary Gentleman (sort of)
    Magneto in Planet X (sort of)
    The High (Stormwatch)

And the latter, sucky category features;

Martian Manhunter (Final Crisis)
    Colossus (Scott Lobdell's second Uncanny run)
    Nightcrawler (X-Men: Second Coming)
    Ant-Man, Vision, and Hawkeye (Avengers Disassembled)
    Corsair (Brubaker's X-Men)
    Sue Dibny
    Iron Man (the Crossing)
    Everyone who died in Ultimatum
    Everyone who died in Ultimate Cataclysm
    Giles (Buffy Season 8)
    Cyclops (X-Men: The Shattering)
    The Doctor in Authority: Revolution
    The Wasp (Secret Invasion)
    Stature (Avengers: The Children's Crusade)

Whenever it's a character I like. So basically, all of them except Famtomex.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kapit View Post
    Martian Manhunter (Final Crisis)
    Forgot about MM. His death was rather ridiculous and vague at first and then was clarified later on. DC were at the point where they were following Marvel's footsteps to kill characters to sell a few books.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Well I was super pissed at the fake Bucky death in Fear Itself more for the fact how utterly dumb it was and that Ed did not write that fake out. After that, I stopped caring about deaths.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Jean's death in Morrison's run. We just saw her come back to life! And she was rapidly becoming Morrison's most well written X-Man.
    Last edited by coveredinbees; 06-22-2014 at 05:00 PM.

I would say probably Blue Beetle's. Not just because I really liked the character (although I did), but because it seemed like they killed one character and ruined another (Maxwell Lord) in an effort to prove that superhero comics could be "serious" and "mature"-- as if grown-up entertainment is all about shocking acts of violence. I've picked up the occasional DC book since then, but that was when I realized that I probably wasn't part of DC's target audience anymore.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    I would say probably Blue Beetle's. Not just because I really liked the character (although I did), but because it seemed like they killed one character and ruined another (Maxwell Lord) in an effort to prove that superhero comics could be "serious" and "mature"-- as if grown-up entertainment is all about shocking acts of violence. I've picked up the occasional DC book since then, but that was when I realized that I probably wasn't part of DC's target audience anymore.

This was a dumb one.

Killing off Doc Sampson was a waste of an interesting support character, especially considering that Warren Ellis had just used the character in a different title and a way showing what was unique about it and could be done

BANNED

Sarah Essen-Gordon still smarts. I really liked that character.

And Black Widow Yelena Belova. Who was first turned into an unambiguous villain by Frelling Bendis and then unceremoniously killed off. Reading Wikipedia it seems she's back, but the unambigious villain aspect sadly seems to have stuck.

Oh, and in Peter David's X-Factor there was Syrin's newborn baby that was unexpectedly turned out to be just a Madrox copy and was absorbed back into dad as soon as he touched it, like minutes after she gave birth.
    That was vile enough that I haven't read anything by that writer since.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Oh, and in Peter David's X-Factor there was Syrin's newborn baby that was unexpectedly turned out to be just a Madrox copy and was absorbed back into dad as soon as he touched it, like minutes after she gave birth.
    This, and the fact that Siryn holds absolutely no resentment towards Madrox really bugs me.

Guardian (James MacDonald Hudson) of Alpha Flight, really upset me back in the day. I think nothing else comes close for me.

Last edited by Wedge Antilles; 06-29-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    This is my answer. I remember this and felt so sad, I could imagine all the pain and labor of birth, and then the child is gone.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge Antilles View Post
    Guardian (James MacDonald Hudson) of Alpha Flight, really upset me back in the day. I think nothing else comes close for me.

Yeah same for me. Thinking back it was really well done and unexpected.

All-New Member

This, and the fact that Siryn holds absolutely no resentment towards Madrox really bugs me.

I recall her breaking his finger at the time and basically leaving the team entirely for a stretch.

Extraordinary Member

Basically all the deaths of pre-established characters in Avengers Arena. Wasteful removals of characters whose story potential had just been scratched. All so Marvel could make an edgy Lord of the Flies/Hunger Games kind of story.