Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Lian Harper's death in Cry for Justice. Pointless, and darkness for darkness sake. Also, she was so cute. And her death was used to push Roy in a ridiculous over the top grim and gritty direction that had him beating people up with cats.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 06-30-2014 at 02:04 PM.

I didn't like how Tim Drake's dad got killed in Identity Crisis. It seemed pointless. One of the best things I liked about Tim is how, for the most part, he was a pretty normal kid. To orphan him to be more like Batman was just stupid. Tim's normalcy made him unique in a world of not so normal things. He didn't need to have a great tragedy to happen to him. He was find the way he was.

Incredible Member

I saw a mention of Buffy in this thread, so can I reference a couple of comic-based tv shows?

The very sudden and unexpected murders of both Shado and Moira Queen on "Arrow" were so out of the blue and just downright brutal that they left me going, "Damn, that was some harsh tv!" They both made me remember the death of Benjamin Linus' teenage daughter on "Lost," shot in the head while on her knees crying and pleading.

Then there was "Smallville" and the three (count 'em, THREE) babies they killed, one born and two unborn. There was Lex's little brother Julian, smothered to death by their mother, the witnessing of which caused Lex to go insane. There was Martha Kent's unborn baby, miscarried after an accident caused by something Clark did. And then there was the moment that gave me the harshest blow of that show's entire 10-year run. Faora was pregnant with Zod's child, but Zod didn't know it yet, and she was about to leave him and go and side with Clark. They argued, and Zod killed her. Then with his super hearing he heard a heartbeat, and was confused. She's dead, why do I still hear a heartbeat? And then he understood, and in anguish he knelt down and put his ear to her stomach and listened to the baby's heartbeat slow and then stop. I swear, it just made me curl up in my chair and go "Oh God, you guys, kids watch this show! That's horrible!"

(Then of course there was the baby that Lana thought she had lost, only to learn that she'd never really been pregnant and that Lex had made her think she was. Just one more example of how "Smallville" seemed to have it in for babies.)
    Last edited by Kensei; 07-01-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Jean's death in Morrison's run. We just saw her come back to life! And she was rapidly becoming Morrison's most well written X-Man.
    Yes absolutely WTH happened to kill Jean, this was the only time I felt disgusted with Marvel and stopped reading comics from Marvel altogether.

All-New Member

Captain Marvel

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Captain Marvel. The fact that he died from cancer, wasting away in a bed, just like my mother had made his passing all the more poignant, and painful. Every other character death since then, and I do mean EVERY SINGLE ONE has been nothing more than needless shock and senseless schlock to me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Aunt May - Amazing 400
    Harry Osborn - Spec 200
    Jean DeWolf
    Any character that dies in Preacher
    the fate of Kitty Pride in Astonishing X-Men
    The last issue of 100 Bullets
    The Last issue of Y the Last Man

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Colossus' sacrifice to cure everyone of the Legacy Virus & Kara Zor-El's death in the COIE. They tore me up inside.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Badguy View Post
    I didn't like how Tim Drake's dad got killed in Identity Crisis. It seemed pointless. One of the best things I liked about Tim is how, for the most part, he was a pretty normal kid. To orphan him to be more like Batman was just stupid. Tim's normalcy made him unique in a world of not so normal things. He didn't need to have a great tragedy to happen to him. He was find the way he was.
    Seconded.

I'd also include the death's of Shayra, Ronnie Raymond and Orpheus as senseless.

All-New Member

Forager in Cosmic Odissey

Crimebuster

Rorschach

(insert sound of hopeless sobbing here)

Ah, yes. The poster quoted below makes a good point. The title of this thread is a bit ambiguous. So of course it's important to make the distinction between 'made you upset in a GOOD way' (because it was an emotional and moving moment) and 'made you upset in a BAD way' (because it was a cheap way of looking 'shocking' or 'edgy').

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kapit View Post
    I think we need to differentiate between "upset because it was an emotionally moving story" and "upset because it was a cheap shock ploy". For the former category, I have;

Jean Grey (first time)
    Damian Wayne
    Ultimate Peter Parker
    4/5ths of The Boys (interpret that as you will, because I don't want to spoil it)
    Rorschach
    Marko's father in Saga
    Henry in American Vampire
    Superman in All-Star Superman
    Gertrude Yorkes
    Gwen Stacy
    Roger the Homunculus
    Agent 355
    Tony the Cat in The Filth
    Mr. Hyde in the League of Extraordinary Gentleman (sort of)
    Magneto in Planet X (sort of)
    The High (Stormwatch)
    To this 'upset in a GOOD way' list, I'd add in...

Kara Zor-El in Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Barry Allen in Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Aunt May in Amazing Spider-Man #400 (her return, on the other hand, made me upset in a BAD way)
    Harry Osborn in Spectacular Spider-Man #200
    Kraven the Hunter in 'Kraven's Last Hunt'
    Harry Leland in Uncanny X-Men (a bad guy, but he ended up dying while helping to save both the X-Men and the Hellfire Club from Nimrod)
    Magik (presumed) at the end of Inferno (at least I consider that part the end of Inferno since I consider the real story about Illyana and the Limbo demons)
    Tomar Re in Green Lantern #198 (a Crisis on Infinite Earths tie-in)
    Skurge the Executioner in Thor #362 (during Walter Simonson's run)

And the latter, sucky category features;

Martian Manhunter (Final Crisis)
    Colossus (Scott Lobdell's second Uncanny run)
    Nightcrawler (X-Men: Second Coming)
    Ant-Man, Vision, and Hawkeye (Avengers Disassembled)
    Corsair (Brubaker's X-Men)
    Sue Dibny
    Iron Man (the Crossing)
    Everyone who died in Ultimatum
    Everyone who died in Ultimate Cataclysm
    Giles (Buffy Season 8)
    Cyclops (X-Men: The Shattering)
    The Doctor in Authority: Revolution
    The Wasp (Secret Invasion)
    Stature (Avengers: The Children's Crusade)
    In this latter bad category, I'd add to the above list...

Blue Beetle in Countdown to Infinite Crisis
    Everyone who died in Countdown to Final Crisis
    Everyone who died in Cry for Justice (including but not limited to Lian Harper)
    The Freedom Fighters in Infinite Crisis
    The various Titans in Infinite Crisis #4 (to add insult to injury, not only were their deaths undignified, gory, and pointless, but their NAMES weren't even mentioned)
    Katma Tui
    Kilowog and other Green Lanterns in Emerald Twilight (though thankfully they got better)
    Everyone who died in the post-Decimation New X-Men run (including Laurie Collins/Wallflower and Jay Guthrie/Icarus)
    (This spot reserved for many Secret Wars deaths if it lives down to my expectations which have been lowered by many of the above-mentioned event comics).

Gwen Stacy......cause he really saved her. And because, it was real.

Superman, Captain America and Batman.....because, they obviously weren't.

It just made me drop Wolverines' books. From now on this will be my strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Gwen Stacy......cause he really saved her. And because, it was real.

Superman, Captain America and Batman.....because, they obviously weren't.

It just made me drop Wolverines' books. From now on this will be my strategy.
    Honestly, we KNOW that the A-listers will be back. They're corporately-owned cash cows. We KNOW that Superman, Captain America, Batman, and Wolverine will be back.

It's the lesser-known characters (including many on my list) who tend to stay dead when they die, regardless of whether or not they had any story potential left. A-Listers are people who are basically Immortal. C-listers, meanwhile, are mortal, and one is advised not to hold their breaths waiting for them to come back.

Harry Leland in Uncanny X-Men (a bad guy, but he ended up dying while helping to save both the X-Men and the Hellfire Club from Nimrod)
    "Fat man had his faults, but he made his exit in style."-- Wolverine, putting it eloquently as always

(This spot reserved for many Secret Wars deaths if it lives down to my expectations which have been lowered by many of the above-mentioned event comics).
    Given how many universes will be smashed together to make BattleWorld, it's possible that it'll set a whole new record for pointless culling.