Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hero talk View Post
    oh really I didn't see that on any of the jim bat books also wouldn't robobat saga have been a better title
    and jim as batman yuck its Not troubling but it is not to my taste
    This is why he writes the stories.....

Too many people THINK they know what's good for Batman. Most of them are incorrect.

Snyder/Capullo's Batman, despite its hiccups (yes punching Harper was wrong, but she needs to be able to take a pinch if she wants to be a hero. Plus, there were other variables involved), is the amazing and it's a shame a small, select group are missing out on a Batrun for the ages.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    This is why he writes the stories.....

Too many people THINK they know what's good for Batman. Most of them are incorrect.

Snyder/Capullo's Batman, despite its hiccups (yes punching Harper was wrong, but she needs to be able to take a pinch if she wants to be a hero. Plus, there were other variables involved), is the amazing and it's a shame a small, select group are missing out on a Batrun for the ages.
    oh so you know whats good for Batman I see
    Last edited by hero talk; 01-05-2016 at 02:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I've moved to trade waiting on it to combat that feeling myself though it will likely still be a long while before I read Superheavy.
    I did that with End Game but I've liked Super Heavy well enough in singles, though I liked the character work they were doing with Jim and Bullock in Detective was better.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Personally I think Snyder has hit a rut on Batman. He doesn't seem able to write any kind of small scope story anymore. All of his stories NEED to be something that will leave its mark on the character for years to come, that on itself is not a bad thing, but it gets stupid when every story is like that. If he could tone down his scope and write more self contained issues (like the Damian memorial one or the one with Bloom's "origin") he would be a better writer. As it stands now, a change is more than needed.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Since I dropped it I haven't felt like I'm missing out on anything at all personally but that's just my opinion. I agree with Dark that Snyder has locked himself into a particular pattern of storytelling that he seems loath to stray to far from. I'm not suggesting that he stop telling epics altogether only that a little variety in story length and scope wouldn't hurt his run any.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

You aren't the only one OP. Plenty have thought Snyder's Bats run has been pretty sub-par since Court of Owls, once ppl started catching on to Snyder's recycled tropes, overhyped yet ultimately meaningless and extremely drawn-out events, etc. I was even concerned before #1 came out that he wouldn't "get" Bruce like he "got" Dick. I believe I stand corrected. His Bruce is part incompetent, part meathead, part roid-rager, part self-doubter. I've never read Bruce to be as bad except maybe by Geoff Johns.

However, it's taboo to criticize his run for some reason since the vocal minority has gotten much quiet in recent years (though I know they're out there). I guess it's just a futile effort. But anyone who claims just how "amazing" the run has been I automatically become doubtful of their opinion of comics. It's been pretty terrible, imo, since #13. Some lowlights:

- Bruce hiding the fact he found a Joker card on his bat boat is apparently some god awful, unforgivable sin
    - Bruce suggesting Joker is in love w/ Batman (I get and understand all the previous implications of Joker being asexual, bisexual, homosexual, etc. Nothing as bad as "he breathes heavy and eyes get dilated...he must love me...!")
    - Bruce taking like 5 minutes to tell the Joker he knows his name, just to have Joker escape
    - Joker's wall of text over-exposition
    - Batman acting like a bro vs WW. of course w/ the exposition he magically found some anti-WW artifact off the black market, as well

I didn't read or see anything from Zero Year, besides non-sensical changes in continuity that I already forgot about.

Anyway, changing Gordon to Bats has been a breath of fresh air. I'll probably drop once it goes back to status quo and Snyder is still on it.

I like Snyder, honestly. I loved Black Mirror, liked American Vampire, Wytches, and the Wake. Disliked his Swamp Thing, though mostly due to how drab it was. I'd love to see him on something like Green Arrow or Flash or hell, even Nightwing once/if that ever happens. Just...not Bruce.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Mind MGMT, Promethea

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    You aren't the only one OP. Plenty have thought Snyder's Bats run has been pretty sub-par since Court of Owls, once ppl started catching on to Snyder's recycled tropes, overhyped yet ultimately meaningless and extremely drawn-out events, etc. I was even concerned before #1 came out that he wouldn't "get" Bruce like he "got" Dick. I believe I stand corrected. His Bruce is part incompetent, part meathead, part roid-rager, part self-doubter. I've never read Bruce to be as bad except maybe by Geoff Johns.

However, it's taboo to criticize his run for some reason since the vocal minority has gotten much quiet in recent years (though I know they're out there). I guess it's just a futile effort. But anyone who claims just how "amazing" the run has been I automatically become doubtful of their opinion of comics. It's been pretty terrible, imo, since #13. Some lowlights:

- Bruce hiding the fact he found a Joker card on his bat boat is apparently some god awful, unforgivable sin
    - Bruce suggesting Joker is in love w/ Batman (I get and understand all the previous implications of Joker being asexual, bisexual, homosexual, etc. Nothing as bad as "he breathes heavy and eyes get dilated...he must love me...!")
    - Bruce taking like 5 minutes to tell the Joker he knows his name, just to have Joker escape
    - Joker's wall of text over-exposition
    - Batman acting like a bro vs WW. of course w/ the exposition he magically found some anti-WW artifact off the black market, as well

I didn't read or see anything from Zero Year, besides non-sensical changes in continuity that I already forgot about.

Anyway, changing Gordon to Bats has been a breath of fresh air. I'll probably drop once it goes back to status quo and Snyder is still on it.

I like Snyder, honestly. I loved Black Mirror, liked American Vampire, Wytches, and the Wake. Disliked his Swamp Thing, though mostly due to how drab it was. I'd love to see him on something like Green Arrow or Flash or hell, even Nightwing once/if that ever happens. Just...not Bruce.
    glad im not the only one that feels this way and yes it does seem taboo to speak ill of snyder's work has any one else noticed this

I've had 'issues' with his run pretty much since the beginning and, after barely making my way through Endgame (the JL-takedowns (by both Joker and Batman) were tosh), I haven't really bothered with Superheavy. I've flicked through the issues, been bored by them, and just can't bring myself to read them (yet).

Oh well.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I did that with End Game but I've liked Super Heavy well enough in singles, though I liked the character work they were doing with Jim and Bullock in Detective was better.
    I have liked that Bullock has been getting more attention over in 'Tec myself. They really should consider making it a book that focuses mainly on Bullock and GCPD with a side of Batman. I think that would be a very interesting direction to go in with it anyway.

glad im not the only one that feels this way and yes it does seem taboo to speak ill of snyder's work has any one else noticed this
    Well, it's really been that way since he came on Batman so by now I've just excepted that its the way it is and moved on. I don't even bother to post in topics like this one most of the time and this isn't the only subject that crops up where people feel like they can't give a conflicting opinion on a subject. I've seen it elsewhere as well.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 01-04-2016 at 08:37 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

The only problem I have with his writing is how he treats the characters. Don't get me wrong, the way he approaches them is really commendable; how he sees the potential in each and every hero and villain, no matter how obscure or gimmicky they might seem, and tries his best to give them the respect they deserve. But in doing that, he tends to treat them more as these big symbols and representations of real-life situations and concepts rather than actual human beings with emotions and/or psychological issues.

Like with Joker. Obviously, that's a character that he's very invested in and has a clear, specific grasp of how he should characterize him, but personally, I like a more human Joker myself. Snyder treats him as some far-reaching force of nature that embodies nihilism and hopelessness, instead of a character who just believes in that stuff within his own, private, deluded head.

In fact, I'd say that Zero Year isn't a Riddler story at all. Just a Bruce Wayne one. And I'd say that most of his stories, if not all, delve into only one character in particular: Batman. The villains in his stories are only there to combat Bruce's own ideology and goals and mindset, to bring out some elaborate, universal message to the reader from Bruce's mouth. And maybe that's because he relates more with Bruce than he thought when going into it and keeps on finding ways to demonstrate the different layers of his personality. I don't know. I just know that I prefer Paul Dini's writing more because it's more about the actual characters and their feelings and behaviors rather than some allegorical epic meant to deliberately comment on the human condition and how the world works. And in that way, I can get closer to Dini's characters and care more about them and relate to them more than I could with the walking monologues Snyder continues to create.

Still, with all that said, he's still one of my favorite authors, not just in comics, but overall. It's just his personal style and there's nothing wrong with that. Plus, there's no denying the powerhouse that is the Capullo and Snyder team
    Last edited by Unfinishedsentenc; 01-19-2016 at 12:55 PM.

I made it to about issue 24 and lost interest halway through Zero Year. I felt Black Mirror was his best and his run just got less interesting as it went on. I preferred to focus on other batbooks like B&R and Grayson. I also got plenty of my Bruce fix in B/S and Justice League. Snyder is decent enough, but his buddies like Tynion and Higgins just haven't cut it.

BANNED

I think that whenever ANY writer is on a book TOO long, he runs out of stories to tell and things start coming apart at the seams. Chris Claremont's debut on X-Men was the best thing that ever happened to that book, but eighty years later, he was still using the same dialogue and the same schticks. I was at the point that whenever a female Claremazon said, "Hullo", I was ready to start screaming. It may be that Snyder needs to move to another range of books. He's done some great Batstuff, maybe it's time for him to go on to Avengers or something.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I made it to about issue 24 and lost interest halway through Zero Year. I felt Black Mirror was his best and his run just got less interesting as it went on. I preferred to focus on other batbooks like B&R and Grayson. I also got plenty of my Bruce fix in B/S and Justice League. Snyder is decent enough, but his buddies like Tynion and Higgins just haven't cut it.
    I feel like Higgins Batman Beyond run is one of the most overlooked and underappreciated Bat tales in recent memory and I'm not even a fan of BBeyond.

Fantastic Member

another thing I did not like about death of the family was bruce saying the reason he didn't kill the joker wasn't because he felt it was wrong or because of his code but because he was afraid joker would come back worse then ever someone else pointed this out I did not notice it at first
    and to them I would like to say thank you online person your right that is messed up
    Last edited by hero talk; 01-19-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Incredible Member

another thing I did not like about death of the family was bruce saying the reason he didn't kill the joker wasn't because he felt it was wrong or because of his code but because he was afraid joker would come back worse then ever someone else pointed this out I did not notice it at first
    and to them I would like to say thank you online person your right that is messed up
    Interestingly though, in that case, he did fall off a cliff and 'die' and then came back worse than ever in Endgame. So...