Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Default Inspirational Heroes

What superheroes you greatly when you were a kid? Are they the same ones as now? I mean, really made you want to act a certain way, follow a particular vocation, adopt a style? Be a better, or cooler person?

Batgirl, Barbara Gordon, has loomed large in my life, since I was tiny. I knew I couldn't be rich or a superhuman alien, but being a smart, kickass librarian-turned-politician with a motorcycle, that was in the realms of possibility.

And, I know I went through a phase, around 90/91 maybe, of thinking John Constantine was a better role model than he is. I was ten, so I really believed a lot of the character's own justifications and bs.

So, who for you?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman has always been a major figure in my life and still is. Growing up he was kind of my father figure, so I would always try and do things that he would do. It screwed with me a bit but I still cherish the character.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Oh blimey, Superman definitely. Especially the Christopher Reeve portrayal. Those first couple of films were a HUGE influence in my early life. Whenever I told a lie as a kid (usually to get out of trouble) I'd see Superman telling Lois that he 'never lies' on her rooftop apartment and feel bad with myself. He remains one of my favourites to this day, although I've never been one to dwell too much in the past when it comes to comic-books (I have music for that!).

Bam What's better than a hero that inspires you to overcome your fears to be a hero , I mainly had silver age comics growing up featuring Hal.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Astonishing Member

Rorschach, an example of dignity, truth and justice persevering and fighting to the end.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Batman of course. Train your mind and body to physical perfection to ensure nobody suffers from what you suffered as child. You will
    always inspire me Bruce.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I was pretty messed up in the head as a child, I mostly looked up (down?) to the villains as opposed to heroes for aspirations like Darth Vader, in DC particularly speaking my taste and judgment of moral character was so dubious that I actually thought Mr. Freeze from the Batman & Robin movie was a pretty cool person to be

I did want to be Superman for a time though, but then I found Batman so I wanted to be him instead of Superman, but then I decided I didn't want to be Batman but rather Robin for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 12-31-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Superman and Spiderman.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I was pretty messed up in the head as a child, I mostly looked up (down?) to the villains as opposed to heroes for aspirations like Darth Vader, in DC particularly speaking my taste and judgment of moral character was so dubious that I actually thought Mr. Freeze from the Batman & Robin movie was a pretty cool person to be

I did want to be Superman for a time though, but then I found Batman so I wanted to be him instead of Superman, but then I decided I didn't want to be Batman but rather Robin for whatever reason.
    It's not so bad. You could have looked up to Skeletor or Bucky. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post

Bam What's better than a hero that inspires you to overcome your fears to be a hero , I mainly had silver age comics growing up featuring Hal.
    Yes - Hal Jordan. Not so much when I was a kid, but more as an adult I've come to appreciate inspirational heroes in a world where it's become normal for most characters to be presented in shades of grey. "New Frontier" or the recent "Darkseid War:GL" one-shot are good examples of why Hal is a mortal man, but represents what a man can be when he exemplifies our best qualities.

Oh, Superman easily. Some of my earliest memories are of playing with old Super Friends toys, watching those cartoons on reruns, and thinking Superman was just the best (and also wondering why Batman cant fly. Bats fly. Why doesnt Batman? And thirty years later Im still in agreement with my four year old self on that). When I got back into superheroes in the early 90's as a pre-teen, once again it was Superman who stood out. My old man wasnt around much, and wasnt the best of influences when he was (he wasnt a bad person exactly, just not great at parenting or being a husband, or....well, a lot of things), so I often looked to Superman for advice and guidance and inspiration. And even now, I still ask myself what Superman might do in a given situation.

I was also a huge fan of Wally West and Kyle Rayner. Wally amazed me on a constant basis by how well adjusted and "normal" he seemed in the face of his life. I think Wally taught me how to roll with the punches and keep my feet on the ground. And Kyle? I saw myself in Kyle, just ten years older. We looked alike, we were both artists, both lady's men (well, we both tried to be, with various degrees of success), and even liked the same music. I connected with Kyle in the same way a lot of people seem to connect with Peter Parker. Kyle was the big brother I never had.

But Superman.....you cant beat Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.