Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Default Do you feel teen Jean is annoying?

At first I was pretty excited to see the O5 appear in the present, but over time Jean just became this really obnoxious character. I'm not sure if it's just teen Jean as a character or if it's a result of Bendis' writing as he's mishandled X-23 in his All-New X-Men run as well. Basically I'm asking if Bendis meant for her to come off as annoying.

So is she any less of an annoying character outside of Bendis' influence? I know she's in Extraordinary X-Men, which is why I've been hesitant to pick that book up.

EDIT: Because apparently it needs explaining, I do not dislike teen Jean because she's female. I also am not continuing a double standard by only disliking female characters who act this way and not male characters, as I also dislike Kid Omega for similar reasons, but this thread isn't about him. I also only brought up X-23 because I love the character a lot and didn't like how Bendis wrote her out of character during his run. I was merely making a comparison.
    Last edited by thecrimson; 01-02-2016 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Further explanation

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Why is teen Jean so annoying? Well that's simple, have you ever met a teenage girl who's not annoying? That's the way they are.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Master of Sound: Shuts it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Why is teen Jean so annoying? Well that's simple, have you ever met a teenage girl who's not annoying? That's the way they are.
    What this guy said.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    At first I was pretty excited to see the O5 appear in the present, but over time Jean just became this really obnoxious character. I'm not sure if it's just teen Jean as a character or if it's a result of Bendis' writing as he's mishandled X-23 in his All-New X-Men run as well.

So is she any less of an annoying character outside of Bendis' influence? I know she's in Extraordinary X-Men, which is why I've been hesitant to pick that book up.
    Odd that you seem to have only issues with Jean and Laura... Is it really Bendis' writing or is there something else that your biting your tongue over?

I think it was definitely Bendis style of writing.
    Jean under Lemire is really way less so. She is actually asking for permission before invading minds for one which she definitely didn't do before.
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

So, Bendis has a flare for rendering the male O5 true to life (so to speak) but, not so much with the females?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-01-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typo correction(s).

I don't understand why people hate so much on her. The only thing that upsets me about her in Bendis run is that she doesn't act like Jean in a least half of the time, but anyway.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    So, Bendis has a flare for rendering the male O5 true to life (so to speak) but, not so much with the females?
    Or he doesnt like the way Bendis has written those characters.

Stop digging for something so you can social justice keyboard warrior at the OP when he hasn't said or done anything that requires it.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Odd that you seem to have only issues with Jean and Laura... Is it really Bendis' writing or is there something else that your biting your tongue over?
    I don't know about anyone else, but I find it really obnoxious when people make semi-veiled accusations and insinuations about other people's motives. If you want to argue with the OP, don't be cowardly, say what you think and back it up with evidence if needed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Thread\
    10 char

BANNED

It's due to Misogyny.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by genki_desu View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I find it really obnoxious when people make semi-veiled accusations and insinuations about other people's motives. If you want to argue with the OP, don't be cowardly, say what you think and back it up with evidence if needed.
    The assumption is yours in this case... I asked the OP a valid and straightforward question and another poster (I.e., not the OP) responded... If I was looking to argue don't you think I would have used the opportunity to do just that? Neverless, the subject title in conjunction with the actual body of the post (IMO) is suspect, hence the reasoning behind my query.

I think it was the way Bendis wrote her. He made her an annoying and bratty teenage girl. Ironically he characterized her in a similar way to how other writers wrote Hope Summers (who was clearly meant to be the second coming of Jean at one point) later on, making her an unlikable character as well.

MoS made a good point that most teenage girls irl are actually like that so I suppose Bendis depicted her realistically? However I can agree with the sentiment that this didn't make her a likable character. It made her seem annoying and bratty.

I'd say the reason that she's so annoying is because she reeks so much of Bendis' obvious favoritism, usually at the expense of those around her. While the original Jean can be thought of in a saint-like purity, Jeen is basically treated in the same light while completely lacking the heart that Jean had. She frequently abused her telepathy to invade people privacy and manipulated her friends while rarely getting any comeuppance (the Cuckoos smacking her down is the only time that really comes to mind), was basically handed leadership of the O5 by Storm and Kitty at the start of the series for no apparent reason, frequently stole the focus from time that could've been used to develop those around her and to the end of the series seemed to be viewed as the one who could do no wrong and is always in the right. It's pretty annoying to be reading a team book and it's obvious who the writer is favoring over the others.

Thus far Lemire is handling her much better but only time will tell if he can keep it up or salvage her character after Bendis.